Bowfreak 06-Sep-13
gobble50 06-Sep-13
Brotsky 06-Sep-13
mixed bag 06-Sep-13
Buffalo1 06-Sep-13
Buffalo1 06-Sep-13
mixed bag 07-Sep-13
05-Sep-13
I had the good fortune of bowhunting for plains game in the Western Cape Province of South Africa and visiting the sights around Cape Town in September 2009.

I again bowhunted for plains game in northern Limpopo Province of South Africa and then toured Kruger National Park. Both trips were great adventures and hunts. On both trips I got see different cultures, eco-systems, meet new people, make new friends and hunt different terrains and species of game.

In December of 2012 I developed the “African itch”- the call to return to Africa. I decided that I wanted to see more of the Dark Continent. After doing some research I made the decision to hunt Namibia. I did some background check of Outfitter Reports on Bowsite.com (one of the great features of Bowsite.com.) The one operation that really caught my attention each time I researched was Agagia Hunting.

I contacted several of the Bowsiters who had hunted with them in the past and received favorable comments. I would like to thank Pete Drummond, bowhunter_mh, and Jai Ho for their insights of their experiences with Agagia Hunting.

I then contacted Agagia Hunting and they immediately responded to my emails. Something that ranks high on my list of good outfitters is good and prompt communications with prospects and clients.

Originally, I had planned to make the trip solo, but remembered that my buddy, Steve Zischke, who sits in the pew behind me in church, told me once that if I ever went back to Africa he would be interested in going as he wanted to go with someone who had already blazed the trail. I shared my info with Steve and asked him if he was interesting in bowhunting Africa. Without hesitation, he said that he was in and just let him know what he needed to do next. Our scheduled departure date was July 29, 2013 with hunting to occur August 1-10, then return home.

Wheels were put in motion- we sent our deposits to Agagia Hunting to reserve our requested hunting dates, we both had passports, so all we had to do was make travel arrangements and get current on all out of country travel vaccinations.

We made out travel arrangements through Annelise DuBose of Areva Travel. If the name sounds familiar, her mother owns Afton House in Joburg. I have used Annelise’s services two times prior and have always found her to be polite, prompt and professional.

Our Delta Airlines flight would carry us from Jackson, MS to Frankfurt, Germany where we would rest and refresh a couple of hours in a day room at the Sheraton Airport Hotel directly across from the airport. We would then fly Air Namibia from Frankfurt to Windhoek, Namibia. Agagia Hunting would pick us up at the airport and after a 2 hour ride would arrive on the Agagia property. We had no problems with our luggage as we declared our bows & arrows as “Sporting Equipment” per TSA definition. We did have to pay one-time over weight baggage penalties both going and returning on our travels. For me, is a hard thing to escape over-weight luggage on a 14-day hunting trip.

Agagia Hunting is operated by Tielman and his wife Carin Neethling. It is a first class operation- top notch people and staff, great facilities and equipment and excellent managed wildlife species . For 10 ½ days we shared camp with Gary Shields (“Gobble 50” on Bowsite)and his wife, Mary, from Iowa and Ricardo Pertira, a bowhunter and neat guy from Brazil. The max number of hunters in camp at any one time is four, which allows for so individualized personal service at all times. Tielman and Carin are both avid bowhunters so they understand a bowhunter needs. All of our shot were inside of 20 yards with most shots being in the 10-14 yard range. They made certain that the hide selection was in favor with the wind direction at all times.

For ten and one-half days we took in the mild August temps, bright blue skies and “blood stained” red sandy soil of Namibia. In my 10 ½ day of bowhunting listed below are the statistics of the animals that I personally had within 20 yards of my hides bow shot and photographing opportunities of the following animal, again inside of 20 yards:

Warthog- 550 Blue Wildebeest- 146 Black Wildebeest- 15 Red Hartebeest- 85 Gemsbok 64 Kudu- 50 Jackal- 6 Mongoose- 5 Impala- 19 Waterbuck- 39 Roan Antelope- 4 Zebra- 10 Eland- 91 African Caracal- 1 *African Honey Badger- 2 *African Porcupine- 2

Total animals within 20 yard range- 1089

*- Endangered African specie

Steve’s original plan was to bowhunt 4/5 days then take up a rifle to complete his wish list. Things did not go as planned- Steve hunted 9 days with a bow and 1 ½ with a gun.

Collectively we killed 17animals with a bow, plus Steve killed 5 animals with a rifle. We took high quality animals with most bow kills meeting SCI record book minimums. At the end of the hunt, collectively we had 5 Bronze Medal entries, 2 Silver Medal entries and 2 Gold Medal entries ready of submittal for the record book. We are awaiting scoring results on our warthogs that we took with a bow to see if any made SCI record book minimums. Two of the persons at Agagia are official SCI measurers. Thus animals can be scored immediately avoid the loss of size and length caused the natural drying and boiling of horns during taxidermy work.

During the course of our hunt Steve recorded 3 hours of video and I shot 1700 photographs, plus some limited video. I am very thankful that God allowed Steve and me to have an incredible hunt and such an awesome adventure. Below is a simply a thumbnail sampling of our hunt to share with other Bowsiters.

05-Sep-13

Buffalo1's embedded Photo

05-Sep-13

05-Sep-13

05-Sep-13

SCI Gold Medal material

05-Sep-13

2nd warthog. The dark spot in front of his mouth is the last sip of water he ever took from a waterhole.

05-Sep-13

Last afternoon of the hunt- my third and final warthog

05-Sep-13

Steve may have been a "rookie" to Africa, but his vast experience quickly revealed itself. 10 minutes after entering a hide he had this nice gemsbok on the ground.

05-Sep-13

05-Sep-13

05-Sep-13

1st red hartebeest

05-Sep-13

1st kudu

05-Sep-13

It's just hard to turn down a SCI Gold Medal kudu!

05-Sep-13

Another super red hartebeest

05-Sep-13

How about another warthog ?

05-Sep-13

A nice eland

05-Sep-13

There is alway room for another warthog !!

05-Sep-13

One beautiful zebra rug in the making.

05-Sep-13

The symbol of South African hunting

05-Sep-13

Zebra #2

05-Sep-13
Glad you had a great hunt! Fantastic animals.

I see you painted the middle of your face black but painted your Go-t white??? The Zebra camo look! Nice!

05-Sep-13

Yes, we're definitely ready to check out- do you take credit cards by any chance?

What great memories of one great African bowhunt !!!

05-Sep-13

Here of some of the animals I photographed

Black Wildebeest

05-Sep-13

05-Sep-13

By next trip these two should be "shooters" !!

My PH freaked out when I told him I had better ones on the wall at home!!

These were the last animals I saw on the last afternoon of the hunt- what a memory !!

05-Sep-13

A man with an attitude

05-Sep-13

Always a gentle look, but don't be deceived

05-Sep-13

The "Lil African Bad Ass"- the honey badger

05-Sep-13

The nightly meeting to cuss, discuss, lie and partake of glass (or two) of South African Two Oceans wine.

05-Sep-13

What a great host family- The Neethlings

05-Sep-13

What great PH's

05-Sep-13
Nice write-up, thanks! I especially like the summary of the total number of each species you saw.

05-Sep-13

05-Sep-13

The infamous gray ghost

05-Sep-13

Steve and his PH, Gustav went to hide one morning and found this drag line. It is the result of a leopard killing an impala ewe and dragging it away from the waterhole. The found the remains of the impala carcass. Where's that leopard?

05-Sep-13

One of the daily visitors at the waterhole- the mongoose family

05-Sep-13

Bycommittee design- a red mule with horns

05-Sep-13

Hey buddy- can you lend me a dime? These roan antelope are expensive

05-Sep-13

Lil Guy- the steenbok

05-Sep-13
Wow! Very impressive. Beautiful animals and awesome photography!

05-Sep-13

Mr. Beautiful with a "pierced ear" no less

05-Sep-13

Ms. Beautiful- with a heart shaped tusk. The envy of every boar.

05-Sep-13

Ring Tailed Wooly Bully !!

05-Sep-13

White Zebra with black stripes

05-Sep-13

Another beautiful sunset on the African waterhole. AMEN

05-Sep-13
Congrats on some great trophies. Very nice photos as well....

I tried counting the animals during one of my hunts and quit after the first day...It was pretty easy to sum it up by saying there was ALOT! Africa is an awesome place!

05-Sep-13
looks like you all had a great trip and hunt. congrats ......hopefully i will make the trip across the big pond one day.

05-Sep-13
Beautiful pics & a great writeup.

Thanks for sharing.

05-Sep-13
Greg that was awesome! Africa is the best bowhunting destination in the world! But how did you let that black wildebeest walk and just take pictures? I have been kicking around the idea of going to Namibia on my next trip over, we will have to compare notes sometime.

06-Sep-13
Very Nice Greg!

06-Sep-13
Very very cool Greg! Congrats on a great trip

Bake

06-Sep-13
Congrats Greg on the beautiful trophies! People always said that there is just something about Africa that gets in your blood.....they aren't joking.

06-Sep-13
Greg - thanks for the pix! I'll be adding a few of my own soon! Like Greg, I had been to RSA twice before going to Namibia (got the "itch" too)......but now I think the itch is as bad as ever. Namibia must certainly be the jewel of southern Africa. We also had a fabulous time and thoroughly enjoyed our camp mates!

06-Sep-13
Awesome pics and looks like quite the adventure! Thnaks for sharing!

I just have to add....Honey badger don't care! Ha!

06-Sep-13
Did you have Ronnie as your PH.He was mine last year on my trip and what a great tracker!!!Never seen anything like those guys when following blood;incredible.I shot a 42 1/2" gemsbok there last year and it looks like yours is pretty darn close to beating mine if it doesn't.They have some great trophies there and I was fortunate to take 6 on my trip.Nice summary of your trip!!!

06-Sep-13
Mixed Bag,

Ronnie gave us "the grand tour" upon arrival. Ronnie was PH with Gary/Mary. Steve's PH wasd Gustav. Jason was PH for Ricardo. Petra was my PH. All four PH's are excellent PH's and trackers as well.

My gemsbok measured 40 6/8" (L) & 40 4/8" (R). Both bases were were identical- 6 6/8"

If I omitted your name in thank you's, please forgive me. I kept thinking I did talk with you concerning Agagia, but could not find notes in my collection of research info.

06-Sep-13

This photo really helped put the size of this animal into prespective for me.

07-Sep-13
Not sure if we spoke or not,but I would definitely recommend Agagia for anyones hunt.The trophy size they have is excellent and the pricing.I guess my camp record is still intact on the gemsbok.They have some giants there

• Sitka Gear