Contributors to this thread:
DL 15-Sep-13
bghunter 15-Sep-13
Tony 15-Sep-13
DL 15-Sep-13
elknuts2 21-Sep-13
gville 22-Sep-13
15-Sep-13
I don't know how long ago this went into effect or is it going to happen? I think this is the beginning of the end for a lot of African countries.

15-Sep-13
If I do recall you can still hunt in zambia on private land, however I am not 100% sure about that.

Sad part for Botswana is they think they will be able to make the money up by having photo tours. I sure dotn know to many people that are going to pay 50 grans to take a photo of an elephant :).

Which brings up the other problem is the Elephant population is out of control there and with the banning of hunting it is only going to get worse.

15-Sep-13
The tree huggers need to watch Botswana very closely for the next decade and see the error of their ways

15-Sep-13
Tony they will never see the error in there way of thinking. When the population grows to the point where the land can no longer support the numbers they will blame man for over population and man made AGW. Elephants will destroy every tree in the area trying to get food. Over population of elephants will destroy an area that will decades to recover. The claim I heard was that ecotourism dollars outnumber hunting by 5-1. That was the determining factor. Statistics are never accurate and can be skewed to prove a point. Who knows what they consider "tourism" . Whoever compiled those figures probably had an agenda.

21-Sep-13
Botswana is closed to hunting, Zambia is not. There are still many closed areas in Zambia, and lion/leopard are still off quota, but Zambia has hosted some spectacular safaris this year. There was a country wide closure for a bit, but quite a few areas were re-opened, and very good hunting is still occurring in Zambia. With regard to Botswana, even with hunting closed now, it is still allowed on private ranches such at Tholo Safaris and Kanana Safaris operate on. Both places have very find plains game hunting that will continue into the future.

22-Sep-13
http://www.sportsafield.com/content/botswanas-impending-wildlife-disaster

• Sitka Gear