International
Contributors to this thread:
Dale Berry 05-Oct-13
expeditiontraders 05-Oct-13
expeditiontraders 05-Oct-13
Firehuntfish 09-Oct-13
expeditiontraders 09-Oct-13
05-Oct-13
Has anyone hunted with Wiets Safaris? They are in RSA. May have an opportunity with them. Looks like they do rifle and bow hunts. Just wanted to see if anyone had any 1st hand experience with them. Thanks, Dale

05-Oct-13
I have not hunted with them.

They "donate" lots of hunts to SCI chapters. If it is an auction hunt I would make sure to read the small print. They often inflate the trophies fee to make up for the donation.

I haven't seen one did their donation forms in awhile. Some donations have a fee for airport pick up and others count your arrival day and departure day as hunting days as examples.

That being said I believe you will enjoy the trip. However, I would suggest going with one of the Bowsite sponsors.

Good luck.

05-Oct-13
I have not hunted with them.

They "donate" lots of hunts to SCI chapters. If it is an auction hunt I would make sure to read the small print. They often inflate the trophies fee to make up for the donation.

I haven't seen one did their donation forms in awhile. Some donations have a fee for airport pick up and others count your arrival day and departure day as hunting days as examples.

That being said I believe you will enjoy the trip. However, I would suggest going with one of the Bowsite sponsors.

Good luck.

09-Oct-13
I can't speak for all organizations offering donated hunts at their fundraisers, but I can tell you that SCI does a pretty thorough job of screening the outfitters prior to accepting their donations. Many outfitters looking to donate at SCI events get turned down because their outfit doesn't meet SCI's standards.

I would like to add that just because a hunt is donated by a particular outfitter, it does not automatically mean that the trophy fees and other costs will be inflated to make up the difference. There are some very generous donors and great deals to be had at some of these SCI events. The SCI selects outfitters who are more interested in raising money to protect the hunting industry and our rights as hunters rather than those who are looking to make money from their donations.

That being said, it's always a welcomed situation for the outfitters if the winning bidder adds days and trophy animals to what was offered. Our first trip ever to Africa was on a donated hunt that we bid on at our local SCI fundraiser. We hunted with Limcroma Safaris who also donates alot of hunts to SCI Chapters. We had the best hunt we had ever experienced to date. The money we saved buying the hunt at auction allowed us to add a couple of hunting days and several trophies to our list that we otherwise would not have been able to afford. Limcroma's trophy prices and daily rates were no different from the ones quoted at shows and on their website. This will be consistent with any reputable, well established outfitter.

09-Oct-13
I agree with everything you said. I was president of a local SCI chapter. We got a lot more donations than we could use.

It is a very good suggestion to check the auction price list vs. the web site price list.

Some outfits are very very generous with their donations. Others use donations as a marketing tool. I have seen several folks upset with their purchases over the years because they did not read the fine print.

• Sitka Gear