Medicinemann 01-Dec-13
AZ~Rich 01-Dec-13
Chief 419 07-Dec-13
Russell 07-Dec-13
DL 28-Dec-13
jstephens61 28-Dec-13
DAL1 29-Dec-13
30-Oct-13
Thinking of going back over the pond, if I can get a deal on a hunt at a local SCI auction next spring.

Just curious and I know fares change, but what is airfare running now from the states to Joberg or Windhok from the states ?

30-Oct-13
After paying for a ticket to Africa I decided to do it a different way on subsequent trips.

Now, years later, I have a credit card that earns me miles with Alaska Airlines and their share partners. I look for ways to get large blocks of miles, such as paying fuel oil bills, municipal real estate taxes, etc. It adds up faster than you might think.

I have now made multiple trips to other continents on "free" mileage tickets.

For example, in April I spent 160K miles. But I flew First Class on Alaska from Fairbanks to Seattle, then First Class on British Airways from Seattle to London and First Class from London to Jo-berg.

I like NOT spending money to fly to Africa! You CAN run into seat availability issues, but I book my "free" seats a YEAR in advance and pretty much get what I want. I may need to fly a day or two early, but I have fun staying at Afton House in Jo-berg and taking a day trip or two on each end.

As a tall person (6' 4",) I am very appreciative of the room allotted for each passenger in First or Business Class.

And as a fat person (255 lbs) I am very appreciative of the food service (even if I cannot pronounce the names of the things on the menu!)

We of average means (I'm retired and on SS) need to use our heads about these things. Expenses for ALL of our hunting expeditions entail making budget decisions, some sacrifice and hopefully some innovation. Eliminating the cost of overseas flights is what I like to think of as one of my better ideas!

Perhaps it will work for you too.

Pete

30-Oct-13
I've been checking pretty regular...

Atlanta to Joberg on Delta has been pretty steady at about $1900ish...

Dulles/JFK via SAA...pretty steady at about $1850ish...

Those prices are including the fees/taxes. Those are the two most "Common ways" to at least get to Joberg, without going through Europe of course which has other possibilities.

30-Oct-13
I flew Chicago to Frankfurt to JoBerg in September, $950.00

30-Oct-13
What airline?

30-Oct-13
September of THIS year?

30-Oct-13
The airfare is the second biggest obstacle to my return. The first being the ridiculous cost to get my trophies back. I realize it is a long way over the pond but I don't like the fact you have to pay about 10 people to get your trophies back. LOL!

Can 2 guys from a different location have all of their stuff shipped together? Meaning....I am in KY and another guy is in Michigan. Can we have our stuff shipped together and then have the broker if we use one ship it to our taxidermists from there?

30-Oct-13
Bowfreak-

I was told that the practice of multiple hunter trophies in the same crate is being discontinued. Sorry, I don't remember my source, I just remember the comment.

Also, swine and felines can be a CITES issue. If I did not take any swine (warthog) or cats and my stuff was in a crate with others who took warthogs and cats and there was an issue, I would be hacked off if there was a delay in the crate entry in U.S. or denial of the crate's entry into U.S.

Just a thought.

30-Oct-13
That is correct. You aren't allowed to combine hunter's trophies on the same shipment.

Not bringing back monkeys or pigs will save you a lot of money, since they are the most epensive items to bring back due to the extra inspections, separate crating required, etc.

30-Oct-13
I booked about a month ago on Delta. Newark/Atlanta/Johan for $1,450.00 Leaving 3rd week of April.

30-Oct-13
I booked about a month ago on Delta. Newark/Atlanta/Johan for $1,450.00 Leaving 3rd week of April.

30-Oct-13
I should have clarified...I was talking about high season prices.

30-Oct-13
Jusigure about $2200 for airfare in your budget and you should be within reason. Prices will always fluctuate.

31-Oct-13
Thank you for all the information, I was guessing prices were about in the range you guys had mentioned so I was not to shocked.

I like to go off season if I can too so I can save a few dollars on airfare. Last time we want last week in May and first week in June and saved some good coin.

Airfare overall is getting crazy. I have a turkey hunt planned in March for Fl and in checking rates from Milwaukee to Orlando for two people is 1,200 dollars WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh and this is coach not first class

31-Oct-13
Lufthansa, this year. Booker nine months in advance.

31-Oct-13
Randy...Airline?

03-Nov-13
Starting about mid June the price on Delta jumps $500. I leave on June 30th-July 11th from Memphis and the total is $2010. round trip in coach

03-Nov-13
The cheapest I ever paid was $1200 (delta), and the most just over $2000 (Delta also). The norm seems to be closer to $1700 but it all depends on how far out you book and when you want to go. I've also used miles a couple times (United and Delta), and last spring got a good deal on SAA ($1400). Don't get too stingy, but shop around and pull the trigger when you find a good deal. Bill

01-Dec-13
I just booked two tickets in May from Houston to Joburg (stopping in dallas and London) on American Airlines for $1086 per ticket. Saved me $1000 to go the long route.

01-Dec-13
I just booked a roundtrip Delta flight from Cleveland to Atlanta, Atlanta to Jo'berg for late May to early June of 2014. $1,568.00

01-Dec-13
Booked my round trip flights last week for $1768.00 Delta -- Tucson to ATL to JNB for August 2014. Travelocity or Delta direct had same prices.

07-Dec-13
The process of getting animals back into the US leaves you feeling "violated" by the time you're done writing checks to get your shipment cleared. I had a baboon, warthog and monkey in the crates among other animals. That drove the cost of the clearing agent up and I also had to re-dip the primates and pig which resulted in an additional fee. These were small cost relative to the total cost of the trip, but count on an extra $3000 dollars for dipping. shipping and clearing costs of trophies.

07-Dec-13
Try and fly direct from Atlanta and upgrade minim to comfort class. More leg room. Suggest getting an isle seat too. If you can afford it, fly business class on Delta. Seats convert to a bed. Very nice for a 15 1/2 hr flight.

28-Dec-13
Just booked through Expedia for $2300...round trip from Fairbanks, AK to Joberg. Not bad considering it's July during the "high season".

28-Dec-13
We have friends that travel a lot for really cheap by waiting for credit cards giving away huge amounts of miles for getting there credit card. The two of them are going from California to New Zealand for $125. A person.

28-Dec-13
Just booked 2 roundtrip Chicago to JNB for $2320.70. Chicago is a 4 hour drive but it was $800 cheaper than St Louis which is 2 hours.

29-Dec-13

DAL1's embedded Photo
DAL1's embedded Photo
+1 on using points to book first class or business class seats, not just for the legroom or for the food, but also for the extra and heavier bags you can check with you. This allows you to consider if you want to take a backup bow, or a predator call to leave with your PH, or if you want to do some serious souvenir shopping.

• Sitka Gear