AH 21-Nov-13
IdyllwildArcher 21-Nov-13
bearhunter 22-Nov-13
BEA 26-Nov-13
bghunter 28-Nov-13
Chief 419 07-Dec-13
bbjavelina 07-Dec-13
19-Nov-13
After many years of dreaming and saving, I am now planning my first trip to RSA June 2014. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. On a separate note, and I know it's not bowhunting, but I plan on doing some bird hunting also. I have not seen anything mentioned about it. Would I be able to get birds back to the states? Thanks for the tips and advice in advance.

20-Nov-13
Our s. African landowner (Sarel) said a great bit of advice that I took literally.

He said "take what mother Africa offers you".

Be open to what you encounter and don't focus on a list or specific sized trophy by others standards. We would all like to shoot a 60" Kudu but that doesn't happen all that much. If you see a bull you like and it's a 45"er that makes you happy take it.

Listen to your PH as they will know what the property and animals for your hunt should present.

20-Nov-13
I had a great time bird hunting while I was there. I was saving some trophy fees for my son, so my outfitter took me bird hunting and it was amazing.

The one point is that keep your expectations in perspective. Most likely you will not be having a "Hemingway" experience of hunting in Africa. you will be going to a "concession", aka a large game farm. Your hunt will be very civilized, laundry done every day etc. You are going to see a ton of animals, so be patient and listen to your guide about what is a good animal to shoot.

Some of the best experiences we had were on the non hunting days. We got to go on some tours of the area and got to know the culture and the experience of those who live in modern South Africa. Do try to take that opportunity if possible. Prepare to have a great time.

TBB

20-Nov-13

Firehuntfish's Link
Lots of great bird hunting opportunities in South Africa in certain provinces...The Limpopo is one of the best. Some outfitters offer bird hunting if they have the proper habitat.

We have excellent bird hunting at Limcroma Safaris with many different species of upland game birds as well as some other not-so-common bird species. You are also welcome to shoot as many Guniea fowl and frankins as you can from the hides and stands (with your bow).... We plant many acres of corn, alfalfa, wheat, oats, and rye all year round. We also border the Limpopo River which is a major migratorial flyway for certain species. You can expect some excellent action if you elected to take a day or two for some wing shooting...

Clink on my supporting link and check out out bird outing pictures in the misc. section of the gallery.

regards, Dan L.

20-Nov-13
X2 Mathews man. I outfitted guys for African safaris years ago and they would all come in with the idea of a 45 inch buffalo and 60 inch kudo etc... From fri des who hunted years past. They would come back depressed that they only shot a 39/40 inch buffalo and a sable or kudo that wasn't the largest. After spending 20k plus and come home depressed is ridiculous. Enjoy the hunt regardless of the trophies. Take good representations and just enjoy it.

20-Nov-13
How about tips for the way there? Flight sleeping schedules and whatnot to minimize jet lag?

20-Nov-13
I've the the trip several times, here's a few flying tips that help: 1. Stay hydrated - it helps with the jet lag. 2. Do little exercises in your seat to prevent deep vein thrombosis and make your body more comfortable - I also walk the aisle a few times. 3. Noise reduction earphones (Bose, or similar). 4. eyedrops 5. some people swear by a sleeping "blind fold" 5. sleeping aid.....Tylenol PM works for me. 6. my lower back tends to stiffen up long flights, half a vicadin works wonders, or if no one has given me any, three Motrin work for me. 7. I like to wear a breathable t-shirt under a light long-sleeve button-up shirt that has multiple velcro pockets (passports, tickets, eyedrops, chapstick...). Very versatile and functional.

20-Nov-13
One of my hunting companions tried to bring back a few birds with his trophy shipment the last time we went, and was told that he could not import them because he did not have a bird hunting permit (or something along those lines). He had killed them with a bow from the hides, so had not actually gone "bird hunting". Perhaps one of the African outfitters can speak to that requirement. He was able to bring an ostrich back, but it was apparently required that it be tanned in Africa before being sent to the US, unlike other game animals.

20-Nov-13
Taking snakes on board with you might get you kicked off the flight!

20-Nov-13
Nothing wrong with trophy hunting in Africa. Just make sure your expectations and your area/outfitter coincide. I came home from Africa without any trophies once and only one once. It is arguably my best trophy and will likely never be matched. Just make the plan prior to leaving.

" Take what mother Africa offers you" is an outfitter's way of saying "pay lots of trophy fees".

21-Nov-13
Please page back through the Africa section of the BowSite and you will see a wealth of data, opinions,lists and pictures. The primarily Africa oriented site Accurate Reloader will give you lots to look at and if you read under the section where people describe their hunts in detail you will be floored.

More than anything, live in the moment. Realize that you are having many overlapping experiences: the travel, the new culture, and all the usual things that go with tourist travel. Then, in addition to that you will be hunting in ways that are new and for animals that are almost inconceivable that you are hunting. On top of that you will see a volume of animals that will be overwhelming: not the one or a few deer that you sit in a stand all day waiting for, but 20-30-50-100 animals a day. I can remember a day many years ago that I stood up to look out of a blind window at a water hole, and there were so many animals of different types that I was afraid that I was going to hyperventilate. I had to sit down and stop looking for a few minutes to settle down. You will meet lovely people and the "customer service is always good as the top places that we all tend to go to as they are experienced and understand their product. Use the archive here and you will get a bunch of info

21-Nov-13

StickFlicker's embedded Photo
StickFlicker's embedded Photo

21-Nov-13
Haha!!

21-Nov-13

AH's embedded Photo
AH's embedded Photo
If you are a bird hunter (I don't know many Texans who aren't), then do yourself a favor and include it. Not only will it save on trophy fees but you will get some of the best bird hunting you've ever done.

Dove hunting to rival Argentina....

21-Nov-13

AH's embedded Photo
AH's embedded Photo
And lots of ducks and geese. Can't seem to find my Francolin and Guinea Fowl pics but they are a blast as well.

21-Nov-13
"Take snakes on board as the food wasn't very good."

To eat? Or to blackmail the 1st class passengers for their food?

22-Nov-13
Always take you bow with you. Missed out on a huge impala because I left my bow in the blind while we went for lunch. We were going back to the same blind so no need to take bow. Never again.

26-Nov-13
luv these tips for firts timers...heading on my first Africa hunt June 2014. Pretty exciting....taking my recurve.....gonna be a long winter

28-Nov-13
As others as have said listen to your PH. I did not find the flight that bad, as there were plenty of movies to watch. If need be take benedryl or a cough medicine to help you sleep. I work second shift and odd hours alot so it was not so bad for me.

As others have said too, take what is offered to you. You never know what might show up. Also remember it will be alot more expensive to go back for animals then it would be to shoot one while there. I had a chance at a Nyala for 1800 and passed it up as I thought to expensive. What a mistake that was.

Think about some of the small odd animals, like Civet, Porcupine, bushpig they are usually pretty resonable and are a unique animal.

Take time out to see the area, we spent 3 days at Krueger and also fly up to Zimbabwabe(sp) for 3 days to see Victoria Falls. Yes it added cost, but was some of the best parts of the trip.

The clothing is a big thing, dont take much at all you will not need it. I know people that can go over for a week with a carry on and their gun or bow as checked luggage and that is it.

As a quick note dress comfortable for the flight, it is long.

Most of all enjoy the experience. It is one most people will never experience so live every momement like it will be the last.

Have fun and post photos. I hope to go back in 2015 myself.

07-Dec-13
Recommendations: 1. Save enough money to eliminate counting pennies while you are there. 2. Make a wish list, hunt hard and don't hesitate to shoot a trophy animal that wasn't on your "to kill" list. 3. Pack all of the clothes that you think you're going to need and then unpack half of them. They wash your clothes everyday. 4. Cameras - My biggest regret was not bringing a high quality camera. You only get a chance to take pictures once. 5. Don't worry about currency conversion. You wont need much (if any) Rand. Everywhere you go will take Visa or USD. 6. The days of missionaries and tents in RSA are over. The country has excellent infrastructure. Enjoy! 7. When your first hunt starts to wind down, start thinking about what you'll have to sell in order to make your next trip. The wife's car is not off limits.

07-Dec-13
A camera is essential. A silent camera is best. As a fairly serious amateur shooter, I don't take my "real" camera to the blind. It's just too loud. A high quality camera that is dead silent is much better, but you'll want a good amount of optical (not digital) zoom. I believe at least 400 mm equivalent.

On two trips (so far) I've not changed any money and am not likely to this next year.

If you have the means and time, consider overnighting in Europe each way. No problems with "jet lag" between Europe and RSA. Don't go thru Amsterdam. They'll confiscate everything you have that has a sharp edge.

I like to take a handheld GPS. Mark the lodge -- you never know what may happen. Mark you blinds -- locate them later on Google Earth. You may not be able to see the blind, but you can usually find it's shadow, even the pit blinds.

Best of luck to you.

• Sitka Gear