GhostBird 08-Dec-13
Buffalo1 08-Dec-13
DVMan 09-Dec-13
Chief 419 10-Dec-13
GhostBird 10-Dec-13
Tony 10-Dec-13
bbjavelina 10-Dec-13
05-Dec-13
How will Mandela's death impact the future of hunting in RSA?

05-Dec-13
Short term effect, air transportation and some infrastructure (workers) might be shut down or slowed down for a week or so.

I was talking to many white South Africans this past July when I was down there. They felt that aside from a week of mourning, things shouldn't be bad.

Time will tell.

06-Dec-13
Mike,

That's not what my PH was telling me. There's a movement of blacks to hunt and kill whites in RSA. He expects possibly civil war eventually.

There’s already been systematic murders since reports of Pres Mandela’s near death condition last summer.

06-Dec-13
Hello Russell, Have your trophies made it back to the US yet? Mine are in Chicago right now.

I agree with what you said (my PH said the same) but that has been going on for some time or at least that is what the folks in camp and at the buffalo camp were saying as well. So Mandela's passing won't start something new, but it could be used as some kind of justification for continuing the attacks. With the whites as a minority, I really don't see a civil war but I would agree that you might see more vigilante violence against whites.

I see that 10 days of mourning have been designated.

All I know for sure is I'm glad Mandela did not pass away while we were there.

06-Dec-13
Yes, my crate arrived in Atlanta on 16 Nov. Coppersmith is working logistics to ship to my taxidermist next week.

And yes, glad we're not there now.

Russell

06-Dec-13
Gossiping PHs do not fact make. Mandela was followed by Mbeki who in turn was followed by Zuma. He hasn't been active in politics for years. His passing and life will be celebrated and they'll probably institute yet another national holiday and that will be it. He's been dying for the past few years so the actual fact of its occurrence is a surprise to no one.

06-Dec-13

Russell 's Link
I'll believe what my PH said about what is expected to occur after Pres Mondela's passing.

06-Dec-13
Pure sensationalism. Black criminals have been killing white farmers since the ANC took power and the majority took over the government. It has not escalated. In fact these crimes have decreased significantly since the late 90s, early 2000s. In short, these are common crimes committed by common criminals. They are NOT politically motivated. That "news agency" highlighted is akin to the Enquirer here but you are welcome to believe whatever you wish.

06-Dec-13
In other news taken from the headlines of that UK rag..."Mormon Husband Accused of Killing Beauty Queen Wife Attempts Suicide In Prison." Yes, it's an actual headline from this "news" blog.

06-Dec-13
Sorry Russell. Just re-read my post. I didn't mean to come across as an ass but I did. Sometimes I can be too direct :)

06-Dec-13
If you haven't read his autobiography, "A Long Walk to Freedom"...and you don't mind a long read give it a shot. It's very interesting.

06-Dec-13
Thanks Ken...no problems.

06-Dec-13
As others have said, no real impact expected.

There's always a lingering cloud of concern in RSA by the white community - they still control the bulk of the wealth and land ownership while the majority of the electorate is without. That imbalance will always create an underlying fear. Hope certainly is that Mandelas legacy will remain as an underpinning of their political system and they will not forget the mess created from redistribution that is evidenced in Zimbabwe.

Heard it said and truly believe that No other man could have made the transition from Apartheid and keep that country together the way Mandela did. Truly an amazing character - his biography is well worth the read.

07-Dec-13
Obama got all political and social issues in RSA under control- U.S. to fly flag at 1/2 mast for 10 days to honor Mandela and we flew it 0 days to honor Margaret Thatcher of England, out closest ally, when she died.

07-Dec-13
Winnie OTOH.....

07-Dec-13
Great point Buffalo1!

08-Dec-13
Buffalo1, I made that same point in my government classes that I teach. Nothing against Mandela but lowering the AMERICAN flag for a non-American (in most cases) does not seem right to me. JMHO

08-Dec-13
Yesterday was Pearl Harbor Day... I just pretend the flag is at half mast for that.

08-Dec-13

Buffalo1's Link
Will Obama work in that safari that was got exposed before his last trip to South Africa? I mean he will be really close by and it could be a Christmas present.

I personally think there are some interesting days ahead after the mourning of Mandela is over that will greatly impact hunting as we know it and have known it in South Africa. JMHO

09-Dec-13
Everyone who is fawing all over Mandella should learn that truth about that scumbag. He was a tyrant and a violent anarchist. His wife went to prison for corruption and he should have too. listening to the media you'd think that Christ himself has passed on.

10-Dec-13
Politics in Africa is hard to predict. The blacks have competing interests due to the tribal culture. Hopefully they limit the violence (if any) to themselves. I've been to some of the lesser developed countries in Africa and violence is the only thing they understand. The South Africans can keep Obama, I just want our jet back.

10-Dec-13
"The South Africans can keep Obama, I just want our jet back."

AMEN

10-Dec-13
Obama is comparing himself with Mandela...I hope they lock him up for 27 years!

10-Dec-13
Not sure 27 years is nearly long enough considering what he's done to the Country.

• Sitka Gear