Firehuntfish 22-Dec-13
Firehuntfish 22-Dec-13
Firehuntfish 22-Dec-13
Firehuntfish 22-Dec-13
Firehuntfish 22-Dec-13
drycreek 22-Dec-13
AZ~Rich 24-Dec-13
14-Dec-13
Headed to limcroma august of 2014 for plains game. For you guys that have been before,are their any unusual animals, maybe even small game that a first timer should be aware of.

14-Dec-13
If you are able to do some night hunting and can obtain the permits...civet, genet,prokupine, honey badger...all fun night time hunts. Certainly different but fun.

14-Dec-13
Yea I've seen pictures of the honey badger. cool looking animal. Did not know they were hunted at night.

14-Dec-13
I was looking forward to trying to spotlight Duiker and shoot one with lighted sights and Lumenok's at night but mine came in to a blind setup in the daytime.

Bush pig or Bush Buck are normally later trip species, but shoot one if you get the opportunity.

14-Dec-13
may be wishful thinking, but, bushbuck is near the top of my list for this trip.

14-Dec-13
I had bushbuck at top of my list and saw and had opportunties at many (rifle) ended up taking one after a the other failed attempts, but I was very lucky. Heck my first animal after only about two hours was a Kudu.

Listen to what Pete said too, I wish I would have spent time on a few night hunts. i had a chance, but was usually to tired, I regret that now believe me. Those animals are all top of my list on my next trip one day. They are just cool unique animals.

Have fun and take what animals are offered to you

14-Dec-13
thanks for all the advice guys. 8 months and counting.

14-Dec-13
Most folks take a male warthog with the biggest tusks they can find. I did so but later, after looking over many female warthogs, took one with very symmetrical and tightly curled tusks. Had it prepared as a European (Skull) mount and really like it. Visitors to the house are often more interested in the female warthog skull mount than the full shoulder mount of the male.

14-Dec-13
I wanted a bush pig never saw,one

14-Dec-13
I wanted a bush pig never saw,one

14-Dec-13
I hunted Bushpig & Duiker at night when I was there in August. I only saw 1 pig but not in bow range on 2 attempts. You can also walk the river and hunt Baboons.

14-Dec-13
small size animals- caracal, jackal, honey badger, African porcupine

meduim size animals- bush pig, bushbuck, a really symetrical female warthog, baboon

larger size animals- nyala

14-Dec-13
a lot of great ideas. sounds like I need to budget some time for a night hunt, or two.

15-Dec-13
There are a lot of bushbuck down along the river and outside the high fence. My partner and I had killed out and the PH drove us along the river for several miles. We saw maybe 1/2 dozen.

We were there in '11 and there were no blinds down there, but a pop-up or ladder stand would be easy to do.

If it's something you want to do, be sure to let your PH and Hannes know. Sure wish I'd had time to try it.

Best of luck to you.

15-Dec-13

Firehuntfish's Link
BBJ,

Since you were there, we put up a couple of ladder stands and latch-ons down on the river at the hottest trails and crossing points.

Bowhunters now have a really good chance of a shot opportunity at one of the riverfront bushbucks. I killed a decent one out of a ladder stand the first evening I sat in it back in August.

15-Dec-13
I heard one hunter on tv say he killed a blessed buck...I don't know wheather it was a kind of deer or a well. "Blessed" one. Any way I think it was a trophy. If it was the latter, a full body mount was in order.

15-Dec-13
I heard one hunter on tv say he killed a blessed buck...I don't know wheather it was a kind of deer or a well. "Blessed" one. Any way I think it was a trophy. If it was the latter, a full body mount was in order.

15-Dec-13
Outside of Alabama that would be known as a "blesbok".

16-Dec-13
anything taken spot and stalk would be an unusual trophy worthy of note!

19-Dec-13
Firefighter, we will be hunting Limcroma in August as well. What dates are you going? Bushbuck is #1 on my list, as are some of the night critters.

19-Dec-13

20-Dec-13
we are leaving texas on the 19th, arriving I believe on the 21st.

21-Dec-13

tinpt's embedded Photo
tinpt's embedded Photo
I always thought I would like to hunt bush pig but I never really thought much of sitting at night over bait because I did not want to lose daytime hunting chances for the " horned " critters. Last August with Dries Visser, I was VERY lucky to have an opportunity at a giant bush pig right at last light while hunting for Wildebeest. I was just trilled to get this ugly critter. He is now one of my most coveted trophies from Africa.

21-Dec-13
Bush pig would definitely qualify as unusual. Not many folks with one in their trophy room I bet.

21-Dec-13
That is awesome! Can't wait to do some night hunting.

21-Dec-13
tinpt wow yes very vool!

21-Dec-13
tinpt wow yes very vool!

21-Dec-13

No Mercy's embedded Photo
No Mercy's embedded Photo
Monkeys are great fun-and the PH's want you to kill them all! Where we were they were free as long as you didn't want them skinned-and they highly encouraged you to shoot every one. This also included Baboons.

22-Dec-13
As mentioned, don't overlook some of the small game such as genet, civet, porcupine, honey badger, monkeys and baboons.

Talk to the outfitter ahead of time to secure the necessary permits for those that need it. They are inexpensive, but will need to be secured ahead of time in order for you to return with them.

I've hunted Africa twice. On both occasions, night time hunting over bait for civet & honey badger as well as hunting monkeys and baboons over water/feed are two of the most enjoyable things I did.

The hunts were Awesome! Trying to get drawn on a mature male baboon with an entire troop around will cause surely cause an adrenaline rush. Additionally, sitting in the dark over a gut pile or dead chickens will stimulate the senses as various night animals such as hyenas, honey badgers, civets, etc. come in.

Good luck, look forward to hearing the report upon your return.

22-Dec-13
My buddy has a porcupine. Very cool.

TBB

22-Dec-13

Firehuntfish's embedded Photo
The porcupine and baboon are two of my favorite mounts. I get more comments on them than any of the other African mounts.

22-Dec-13

22-Dec-13

22-Dec-13

Firehuntfish's Link

22-Dec-13

22-Dec-13
Impressive dental work there Firehuntfish ! Cool mounts !

24-Dec-13
Firefighter , looks like our group will be there during the same timeframe. We are hunting Aug 20-29th.

• Sitka Gear