huntindoc 19-Feb-14
Firehuntfish 19-Feb-14
Buffalo1 19-Feb-14
jstephens61 19-Feb-14
GhostBird 19-Feb-14
Medicinemann 19-Feb-14
huntindoc 20-Feb-14
19-Feb-14
I am chasing Buffalo in Tanzania in September. Cannot wait! The group I'm hunting with does not usually hunt archery, but they are very supportive of me using my bow. I'm having a great time shooting in my 1100 gr arrows (feel more like Massi spears!). I'm planning on re-stringing my bow this week, shooting that string in for about 2 months, then putting a new string on the bow, taking the other as a back up with a pocket bow press. Would really suck to nick a string or cable with the broadhead while in the field.

My question to all the experts....

What else would you take for bow repair in the field? Keep in mind serious weight restrictions of 50 lbs on the charter from Dar es Saalam to camp.

19-Feb-14
Huntindoc,

You are on the right track with your plan. I would suggest to make sure that you shoot the new string in as well if you are going to replace it just before the hunt. Every bow set up will vary, and each string will vary depending on the quality, but I would shoot at least 50 arrows on both strings with an identical set up to ensure that the stretch is gone and all is settled in and your tune will hold...

Beyond that, I would suggest that you pack an Allen wrench tool and/or a multi-tool that fits all of your limb bolts, sight & rest bolts, etc...A spare bolt/screw for each of the aforementioned accessories, and a spare launcher or biscuit, depending on your sight. Possibly a couple of spare pins for your sight, and a spare peep if you use one? I pack a small accessory box with all this stuff and it takes up very little space and only weighs a couple of pounds.

Good Luck!

19-Feb-14
roll of duct tape

19-Feb-14
I'm taking a back up bow, set up and ready. Too far to travel to take a chance. Never had to use the back up, but there's a first time for everything.

19-Feb-14
superglue

19-Feb-14
What broadheads are you using on your Masai spears....er....arrows?

20-Feb-14
I'm shooting grizzly stick momentum 175 with 315 gr ashby single bevel broadheads. They are really fun to shoot. The momentum hitting the target is pretty cool. Very effective on my little whitetail this fall as well

• Sitka Gear