Bigpizzaman 20-Feb-14
LBshooter 20-Feb-14
Woodswise work 20-Feb-14
BO-N-ARO 20-Feb-14
AZ~Rich 20-Feb-14
FullCryHounds 21-Feb-14
Hollywood 22-Feb-14
19-Feb-14
I have a couple of Kudu capes and the backskins from them and an Oryx. A taxidermist has expressed an interest in buying them. Any idea on their value? They are in the hard just from Africa condition. Thanks, Dale

19-Feb-14
A lot depends on condition and quality, of course. I've sold a few african capes for about $100 each, and once got $225 for a nice eland cape. Backskins aren't worth much in an untanned condition, but do add something. When you figure out what it cost you to bring them back, they aren't worth anything near what you paid. But if you can't / don't need them, then ....

No idea what others are getting, etc., this is just my experience. Bill

20-Feb-14
You might check on taxidermy.net for what capes are going for. Quite a bit of Africa stuff on there at times.

20-Feb-14
I would think you'd get more in trade.

20-Feb-14
I would think having them draped over something might be worth more to you them what you could sell them for.

20-Feb-14
Go to taxidermy.net and sell them there. You will get the best prices there. They have a classifieds forum where capes are bought and sold all day. I would think you could get a lot more for them than mentioned above. A good quality whitetail cape that is big can easily go for $225. I would think African exotics would command a premium but maybe there just isn't a market for them. Either way, taxidermy.net is the place to find out.

20-Feb-14
You can check on ebay as well to give you an ides what they sale for.

20-Feb-14
Any capes which are folded "hard" or "green" will not allow the taxidermist to assess the quality of the cape or full skin as the fur side is not really exposed and the extent of cuts or other mess-ups that will cause hair slippage can not be seen. So, be prepared to sell them cheaper than those that have already been professionally tanned (which costs extra $);since they are essentially a gamble purchase for any taxi.

21-Feb-14
Llama packer and AZ are exactly right. I buy a lot of stuff on Tax.net. There is a much higher demand for elk and deer capes then anything else so they do bring higher prices. African capes, especially the plains animals aren't exotic or rare and if they haven't been tanned yet, then the guy buying them is taking a huge risk as to what he's going to end up with. If you're willing to take that risk, have them tanned at a good tannery and you'll get a much better price if they turn out in good condition. Now a hide like a lion or leopard will definitely bring a premium.

22-Feb-14
They're worth what people are willing to pay, which you won't know unless you tan them and see what you have left for hair.

For example, I paid $250 for a top quality East Cape Kudu cape, 'cause I had a huge set of horns and a cape with no hair. It's all about need and the priorities of the buyer.

I needed it and I've got screwed up priorities! LOL!

I might be interested in the Oryx, depending on the hair.

• Sitka Gear