MathewsMan 03-Mar-14
Bowfreak 03-Mar-14
Bigpizzaman 03-Mar-14
Pete In Fairbanks 03-Mar-14
Firehuntfish 03-Mar-14
Bowfreak 04-Mar-14
Bowfreak 04-Mar-14
27-Feb-14
Going to Limpopo this year in May/Jun timeframe and will be in country for about 8 days or so. What is the best cell phone / service to rent for this trip?

27-Feb-14
I have Verizon and sent a text to a friend. Only sent one cause I didn't know if there would be extra charges. Don't think I was.

We had wireless at the camp so used my iPhone without extra charges.

Enjoy your trip.

27-Feb-14
I used MTN. Picked up a cheap one at Tambo. I am thinking it cost maybe $50-$60 total (I can't remember) and I had minutes to burn.

28-Feb-14
Now, if someone could post the same on domestic use! Sometimes it works and others it doesn't? Makes me wonder ? Bob.

28-Feb-14

Firehuntfish's Link
Most of the major providers have some kind of international roaming plan you can pre-purchase. I know that Verison and ATT both offer bundles for South Africa that include text and talk. We have ATT and paid something like $50 for 200 texts and 25 minutes of talk for 1 phone.

Check with your outfitter and see if they have internet, so you would have that option as Randy mentioned.

28-Feb-14
If you have access to a computer with Internet service over there, you can simply use your Skype account to make phone calls to the states for mere pennies. It comes to something like .065 cents per minute. Just set up an account with Skype which can also be used for live camera calls but only where you have good high speed connections.

01-Mar-14
I was not correct on the charges for Skype. It comes to 4.6 cents per minute for calls to/from RSA

03-Mar-14
Thanks for the resposes. Really have to make actual phone calls while there and cannot use skype, or my personal cell. Would love to hear from folks who actually rented a phone and had the phone number prior to departing for South Africa. Thanks much.

03-Mar-14
Pick up a cheap cell phone at Tambo. You will have no issues at all. When I go back that is what I will do as it is the best alternative IMHO. There were guys in my camp that had international calling on their phones from the states and they did not pick up a signal in camp. I had trouble getting a signal in camp but was able to get out with help from the concession owners cell booster. In many other locations it worked fabulous and I had minutes left over. I even let a couple of guys in camp use it so I am not sure how much I even used of the total minutes I purchased. I would talk to the people you are hunting with and ask them which RSA provider works best where you are hunting and then pick up a phone at Tambo. If your PH is picking you up have him talk to the people for you as they will be able to explain to the cell phone reps what you are wanting in Afrikaans.

03-Mar-14
I make it a point to leave technology home on hunts. If work needs something or something happens, I'll deal with it on my return.

03-Mar-14
Good point MathewsMan but my family wanted to keep in contact. She paid for half of my hunt so I guess the least I could do was get a cell phone and call her and keep her updated. I assume this is the same for others.

03-Mar-14
AT&T is very spotty, especially in Limpopo.

03-Mar-14
Agree with BPM. I bought some AT&T international call minutes and texts before leaving for RSA last year. Never could get them to work. When I got to camp though, the PH had wifi and I was able to message back and forth through FB once a day with the Boss Lady.

When I got back and whined about it to AT&T, at least they were nice enough to remove the charges for the blocks of minutes/texts I had bought.

For in-country use, just grab a cheap phone at the airport in Jo-burg, as others have suggested.

03-Mar-14
Just for my own information, with those suggesting to buy a cheap phone once you arrive at the airport in Jo'burg...I realize that they are probably offered with different text/talk options but do they cover international calls and texts? And if so, at what expense? If it's cheaper than the ATT plan we have been purchasing, I would like to know....

BTW, I have had no issues with coverage using ATT on our last two trips. We are also in the Limpopo near Thabazimbi. I guess it's still hit or miss depending where you are exactly...

04-Mar-14
Buying a cheap phone is the way to go over there IMHO. It is cheap and you can call internationally. I didn't text so I don't even know if that worked or not. But if you want to call home every day you are there and not be freaking out over minutes buying a cheap phone over there is the way to go. This was not my idea...of course I was told about this by several knowledgeable bowsiters. I will see if I can dig up my old thread with all of this information.

04-Mar-14
http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=410990&messages=10&forum=18#3437832

Here is one of the old threads. I am pretty sure there are some others talking about this but at the time I went the "burner" cell phone was the absolute cheapest way I could do it. See Jtreeman's post.

• Sitka Gear