Bigpizzaman 04-Mar-14
Buffalo1 04-Mar-14
tthomas 04-Mar-14
Bigpizzaman 04-Mar-14
tthomas 06-Mar-14
Buffalo1 06-Mar-14
02-Mar-14
Folks

I'm about to acquire a monster bow and arrow set up - 100lb bow with 1200 grain arrows - yes they are being used for a Big game African hunt

I'm proposing to use a drop away rest (NAP Apache) - I see snippets on various forums that dropaway rests and heavy arrows don't mix well.

Can anyone tell me why and suggest an alternative rest if the science is sound.

Many thanks

DA

02-Mar-14
I had a bad experience with a heavy small diameter arrow shot from a wisker buscuit...it parted the bristles while drawing. I have not experienced a problem with the dropaway.

02-Mar-14
There are a couple threads already going about these very topics if you want to a search.....if you visit the thread about the Mozambique Elephant bowhunt, you will see that JCHB recommended not using any type of rest that was activated by strings. I have corresponded with others that preferred the drop away....

02-Mar-14
I thought that the Mathews Monster only went up to 80#?

Were you able to get special limbs or what?

02-Mar-14

TurkeyBowMaster's embedded Photo
TurkeyBowMaster's embedded Photo
I just shot my 900 grain "hog" arrow...exactly the same impact as my 435 grain arrows at 10 yards. QAD dropaway. It felt like the arrow kicked back with the right foot when it left the bow.

02-Mar-14
Medicineman

There is a guy on another major forum who makes custom bows (PM me if you want details)

I've ordered a 100lb Omen Pro and will get it in the next week or so.

I shot an 85lb X Force all day with no troubles and owned a 100lb Mach 10 in my 20's - still think it will be deep breaths all round when drawing it

Not sure on your dates but I am hunting in May also but coming from Australia.

Im hoping to take an elephant, hippo and croc hence my questions.

Whats the issue with a string activated drop away?

Many thanks

DA

02-Mar-14
Who is your outfitter? What country? If you are hunting early in the month, you'll be done before us....so keep us posted!!

02-Mar-14
Medicineman

I am going with Ken Moody to Mozambique - suspect its the same hunt you are on - booked May 13 - 20.

It's too good an opportunity to pass up - I wasn't expecting to be able to get on a hunt of lifetime this early so I'm seizing the moment.

I've looked at the posts re dropaways - as I understand its to stop the human factor kicking in and you dropping an arrow off the rest when the adrenaline is pumping - reckon Ive had enough experience from charging Asiatic buff to keep a cool head.

Many thanks

DA

02-Mar-14
DA,

Man....tell me that you are taking a satellite phone, or that you cell phone has international service!!

02-Mar-14
My cell has roaming but I'd be surprised if it worked where the hunt is planned to go ahead

If it does then all good - the wife and kids will be happy, if not then I'm assuming the PH has got the relevant comms as that's (part at least) what I'm paying for.

Do you know something I don't?

DA

02-Mar-14
Are you kidding me?!!! I want details of your hunt!!!...preferably five minutes after they happen....LOL!!!!

02-Mar-14
Satellite phone work anywhere as long as you have line of site to a satellite. Deep steep canyons or caves can cause an issue. Not sure on Australia but you can Lease them here is the US for a deposit and a few hundred bucks for a month. The calls are few bucks a minute so you don't want to use it much unless you don't mind another $750 on the bill. I found that one out the hard way. You can also buy a used one for under a grand and activate as needed.

They are priceless in an emergency though.

03-Mar-14
I'll see - Im not one for the limelight and prefer to keep a low profile.

I'll ask Ken about a sat phone but having been to a lot of remote places my experience has been unless you have an evac team on standby who can get to you within hours the chances of you getting out alive aren't great.

Its all about taking smart risks and listening to the PH.

DA

03-Mar-14
QAD dropaway worked fine on my setup.

03-Mar-14
I am certainly no expert on dropaways, but I can't imagine there be a problem with the arrow being too heavy. There is some debate that some of the dropaways are not fast enough for some of the speed bows though. I would think that a heavier arrow would tend to mitigate that problem if anything.

03-Mar-14
Some of the drops are activated by the bows inertia. The heavy arrow absorbs so much energy that the bow doesn't deliver any energy or vibration to the rest so the rest might stay up. I would go with a limb driven rest...I wish I had gone with one and I am not planning on hunting elephant. I just think they are a better choice now that I have had time to study up on the subject.

03-Mar-14
I found that MY arrows with 75gr inserts and 125 grain heads (584gr total) had issues with a drop away. If I dropped the rest the last inch or so of draw I would get low arrows with BH. I had to adjust the rest to drop 4" from full draw. Then I had no issues.

If it was me I would put on a WB, then no drop away issues.

03-Mar-14
Just to clarify my comments on the elephant hunt thread. I recommend a drop away but personally would use only the type that can also be manually pre-engaged such as the QAD that both Bigpizzaman and I used. That way you can be sure that your arrow is securely held during the last moments of the stalk. If the drop away is lying flat on the bow shelf with your arrow waiting to be activated, you risk a twig or brush knocking the arrow off as you close in. Remember you will be focussing on the elephant at this point and should not be focussing on your equipment!

The second reason is bow "wobble" that may come with super adrenaline and heavy poundage! There is not much in the archery world that compares to drawing on a multiple ton beast within spitting distance. If you don't think a little "bow wobble" might creep in, check out a few of the elephant bowhunt video's out there!

My 10c (South African) on the topic

JCHB

03-Mar-14
JCHB

Good thought process. Trophy Taker has a fully contained arrow rest that can be held in the up position or another that rises as you draw.

Even if you over draw and you get a wobble and a jump, the arrow is fully contained and will set down in the bottom of the V.

I have never hunted elephant and don't plan on it but have done a bit of poking around in thick brush. I worry about the limb activated drop away as there is just more cord. Never had an issue tied to the cable.

Buck

The arrow weight these guys are using might be double yours with much more on the front end.

Trophy Taker provides a heavier spring to handle the extra weight.

Am preparing for a trip here in a bit and shot both my bows at -31 this weekend. The rest is the best one I have ever used. Same POI as when I shot them in Mexico.

03-Mar-14
I would never recommend a drop away rest for hunting DG. Just one more mechanical issue that may come into play unneccessarily. Use a side slotted WB and you won't need to worry about anything but making a shot of no more than 20 yards. Problems I have encountered with bowhunters on DG; arrows falling off rests (most frequent), arrow prematurely shot from half or quarter drawn bow, weak release aid leading to release failure, client unable to draw bow when shot is presented, client not shooting when shot is presented (freeze up), client running from animal (fear), etc., etc. Being in close proximity to an elephant is going to induce some sort of reaction from a client. If one eliminates all the possible mechanical problems that could arise, then all we will have to deal with are the psychological ones.

03-Mar-14

tthomas's Link
Ken

You have more experience with DG than I have, but I would probably surmise that I have shot more arrows than you have. Maybe I am lucky, maybe I didn't react as others but I know that I have drawn under a few high pressure situations. Touch wood, I have never had an arrow fall off my rest, never shot from a half or quarter drawn bow, never had a release fail or never been unable to draw a bow.

Not saying that being in close proximity to an elephant will not induce some sort or reaction in a client, but using a whisker bisquit will not help. I actually have seen Jake shoot a bow, and know that a WB will not help him at all.

IMHO it poses more risk. TBM has said that the WB has sometimes failed as the arrow falls down between the bristles. I have seen that happen as the arrow gets pushed down or to the side. Drawing does not move it back to where it needs to be.

You have your reasons to promote a WB but nothing in a full capture arrow rest is a disadvantage. Probably a better chance that the PH's gun does not go off than a TT rest fail. IMHO you are not helping your clients by recommending a WB.

03-Mar-14
I will second what tthomas says...I don't know who you guide but I personally have not had any of that stuff happen to me in the field because I test stuff in the field before hunting with it and I am almost always unaware of drawing my bow because if the adrilinin...now the running part...I will give you that. I can't say what I would do. It might be a feet don't fail me know moment.

03-Mar-14
Never seen a WB fail but would venture to say that anything with a cord or mechanical function can. That being said it is possible, I assume, that a well used WB can weaken over time. The point is that the equipment chosen should be as simple and basic as possible as common sense dictates given the dangerous nature of the hunt. The rest you've linked looks like a fairly simple full capture type that would certainly work. It would be better if it could be locked in the up position. Glad to see you've been so lucky as to never have experienced any type of malfunction, either equipment wise or emotional but it is, in fact, a common occurrence and every precaution must be taken to ensure success otherwise, it's not wood you'll be touching but what's left of the hapless PH who had to stand and try and kill the thing while you wonder why your release broke or your rest malfunctioned. All the arrogance in the world will be worthless at that point.

03-Mar-14
Thanks all

Ken makes a good point and I will defer to his experience - its in his (and his PH) hands that it all rests.

I'll grab a couple of WB's and test them for my big rig and make sure that no matter what situation I find myself in I can load aim and fire.

I've been in some hairy hunting situations (charging 1600lb Asiatic buffalo)and when its going to custard you need to be very zen and not even have to think about your kit.

Appreciate all of the advice and opinions.

DA

03-Mar-14
Michael...rec'd and replied to your email. Let me know how those WBs work with your heavy arrows. I have about a half dozen WBs but they are from the original maker. They fully support some of my 1100 grain arrows without problem but the new ones may be less stout if they made them softer to compensate for noise/feather damage. If your arrows do slip thru then we need another solution. Simple/strong is the recipe. We'll be hunting in very thick, thick, thick bush and any cords or other dangles will easily get snagged on the brush. Try to streamline your gear or we'll be unsnagging you the entire hunt :)

03-Mar-14
My biggest problem with WB (which I used years ago), is that high poundage bows seemed to rip off the vanes very frequently.

03-Mar-14
QAD worked fine for my 840gr arrows

Shaking, no worries, you would just about have to drop your bow to get the arrow to pop out of there

03-Mar-14
Ken,

Would you suggest using one of the Primos Bowsling that provides neoprene protection to string and cams? Just a thought.

"Silverback"

PS- Has Jake inquired about the monkeys yet?

03-Mar-14
Ken

Not sure if the arrogance was a reference to me but if it was, my post wasn't meant to be. I probably shot more than 15,000 arrows last year. Never had a failure. Jake's WB would not have stood up to 500 arrows.

That arrow rest or its brother can be locked in the up position.

How many of your PH's have shot 15,000 bullets in their lifetime. How many bullets misfire? 1 in 15,000? You tell me? I am not a gun hunter.

I am not an arrogant person but I do speak from experience.

Good luck to you DA. Listen to what Jake says, try the WB yourself and then make up your mind. Hunt with it for a year and crawl around in the bush. I guarantee that if you stalk with an arrow in it you will look down and find the arrow sunk below the bristles. That will happen more than 1 in 15,000.

03-Mar-14
I've also used - and continue to use - the QAD Ultra-Rest with heavy arrows and have had zero problems.

04-Mar-14
I agree with Tom, I've had failure with the WB, it is not bulletproof by any means.

04-Mar-14
Pat,

I do hope you have the latest series made of neoprene, not just cloth. They are super protective in the bush. Leather gloves and hand bush trimmers might be handy items when maneuvering through the bush.

04-Mar-14
Those IQ bow sights would allow for the elimnation of the peep and take some weight off your string.

04-Mar-14
Pat,

True story about the Primos sling. First time in Zim chasing Elephants, we were out all morning, wind was horrible, tried to get on some Bulls, with no luck. We were pretty far from the truck so I put my bow in the Primos and headed back to the truck. About half way back we're in some thick stuff and the PH is ahead of me, he is holding a thorn bush so I don't get hit by it and he takes of on a mad dash, screams "RUN" as he does so. The bush hits me in the face/eyes as he does. When I recover I see the biggest Black Mamba on earth right in front of me. Man I want to shoot that Mamba but my Damn Bow is in that sling, the Snake moves on and down a hole next to a Termite mound. No more sling for me!

Thought you would appreciate my story!LOL

06-Mar-14
Buffalo1

What is the difference between the new Primos slings and the old one? I see it has a beefed up strap but I cut mine off anyway.

06-Mar-14

Buffalo1's embedded Photo
Buffalo1's embedded Photo
tthomas

The new Primos bow carrier straps are all neoprene material that covers string and wheels. The old carrier has clothe that covers the string and neoprene that covers the wheels. The new model provides for greater string protection.

I used the newer model in Africa this past summer and it provided a greater protection for my bow in the bush as well as transporting.

I also use a heavy duty cover on my sights to protect them.

• Sitka Gear