Buff 20-Mar-14
TurkeyBowMaster 20-Mar-14
Outdoorsdude 21-Mar-14
Medicinemann 21-Mar-14
Buff 28-Apr-14
Zbone 28-Apr-14
09-Mar-14
Funny.

Hopefully that's not the shot that's presented!

09-Mar-14
Those kind of shots only work inside of 10 yards lol,

09-Mar-14
I tell you what though, once you guys have your elephants down, I'd be curious to see if you could shoot an arrow through the skull and hit brain from 10-20 yards...

09-Mar-14
The trunkblaster... works every time.

09-Mar-14
If I remember right elephants have some major arteries running through their trunks. Use a landshark and blast away!

09-Mar-14
Supposedly, one archer from Colorado took a frontal shot with his bow. I have been trying for two years to determine if it really happened, and well as what happened....both leading up to, and immediately following the shot...... Have still not located the video. Rumor had it that the arrow only penetrated about 1" into the brain. I don't know if a gun follow up was required, or if that small amount of penetration did the trick.....

I believe that the archer's name was Dwyer, Dyer, or something like that.....

If anyone has a link for that reported video, I'd sure like to see it!!

For experienced elephant hunters, my question is this....the ears on the above animal are not completely flared out. Is this elephant actually charging?...or is this photo taken from a telephoto lens of a traveling pachyderm?

09-Mar-14

Russell 's Link
Found this 2009 thread. See BadgerND for story.

Good luck on your upcoming adventure.

09-Mar-14
I am glad to have the first hand account from the archer himself...I hope that I can track him down.

I have no desire to attempt a head shot...but I don't think that was his original intention, either. The PH probably said "He is about to charge", and if he does, I have to kill him with my gun...so if you want to try the frontal shot go ahead, because I am going to shoot him with my gun if he comes for us.

I am intrigued by two other specs....my uncut FMJ DG arrows are 32.5 inches. He stated that he are 33 1/2".....was he including the length of his broadhead? ....or are extra long arrows available?

He stated that his FMJ DG arrows were 18.2 gpi, whereas mine are labeled 17.2 , the catalog says 17.7, and when I personally weighed them, they were 17.4 gpi. The inconsistencies in arrow weight surprise me....in this era of technology, I wouldn't expect such variations.

His post was 5 years ago....and I have never seen his videos for sale. Has anyone ever viewed them?

09-Mar-14
Maybe it would work with a Rage.

TBB

09-Mar-14
I wonder, if you were going to take a brain shot, if a sharpened field point or a BH that had the blades filed off would actually be a better idea than the BH that you would use for a heart shot.

Making the BH more bullet shaped might increase penetration. You could always have one arrow like that in your quiver just in case...

10-Mar-14
I would highly recommend that shot Pat. [TRUN.CAT.ED...shortened by or as if having a part cut off.]. this to mean your life would be shortened as the beast steps on your melon but if you cut off his trunk at least the heirs to your will still have a gift for the chief.

10-Mar-14
Guys,

I personally know Tom Dyer well. He traveled from Colorado to Ks and stayed for a year in one of my farm houses and built a home for me. No BS at all. He has killed the big 5 with a bow on video. Just for personal use. He also killed some other great trophies. Huge moose and kudu.

Unfortunately, he lost his ivory and when it finally arrived, it was the wrong set. Smaller, of course.

This one is not an internet myth.

10-Mar-14
Only with a Rage

10-Mar-14
About the charge question. It is damn sure charging. I would guess it is chasing a vehicle from the photo angle.

I have brain shot elephant from that angle and well remember the look and the ground shaking when they hit it.

10-Mar-14
R. Hale,

In Tom Dyer's response to a thread from five years ago, he makes mention of releasing the video. Did he change his mind and just keep it for personal use?

10-Mar-14
Jake,

Tom is a perfectionist in anything he does. He did not mention any commercial use to me. Video might not have been up to his standards. That does not mean that they are not good or interesting. I did not view them. I can ask him as we speak often. I do not think he would be opposed to doing so if the market were there. He shot all the big 5 on video, archery. Tom is really a great guy. I think his kudu was at or near a world record for any head ever measured.

10-Mar-14
Could you ask him if it would be OK for me to contact him directly? ....and then respond to me via PM? I would really like to see his videos, if he would be willing to share or sell them.

10-Mar-14
I was like WTF? before I opened the thread.

Pat, how many arrows are you taking? And are you taking a wheelbarrel?

10-Mar-14
I would let that one go he gas a broken tusk. :)

10-Mar-14
Jake,

Will do. I owe him a call anyway.

10-Mar-14
Kind of like with a buffalo..... I don't think I'd shoot at an armed animal cocked and aimed at ya already....

10-Mar-14
Ha, I get a mental picture of an elephant walking around with a toothpick [your arrow!] in the corner of its mouth

11-Mar-14
I visited with Tom about the thread so he will look and decide what he wants to post if anything.

11-Mar-14
Thanks!! I hope to hear from him.

11-Mar-14
It's possible. Work up to the heaviest draw weight you can shoot accurately, use a smaller diameter shaft to decrease friction during penetration, cut to full length to maximize weight, tune the bow for the increased length, use a brass insert for additional mass, and you'll definitely want the .357 Mag. head up front. Save the .38 Specials for smaller fry like hippo and Cape Buffalo.

11-Mar-14
I have seen a picture of Howard Hill sitting in front of an elephant with blood running down from it's head. It gives the impression of a frontal/brain shot.

Jake, R. Hale,

I would love to see those videos just for the viewing pleasure if possible.

20-Mar-14
Head shot was a "no go" for my setup. I only had about 6" of penetration

20-Mar-14
You know fellows, in all seriousness, with a little study that might be the safest path to the heart and majur vessels...if you happen to catch the trunk up grabbing leaves or something. There has to be a really large hole up there...I would have to try it if it got offered up to me.

21-Mar-14
That shot angle, with my 'antique' Holland 'bow'= Non-issue.

21-Mar-14
Buff,

According to the McCallum Safaris video, even a gun hunter would need to aim at a point between the zygomatic arches, to successfully complete a frontal brain shot on a elephant. Based on the video, it looks like you tried to shoot him through his forehead. If you had moved to the right a bit, and then shot through the trunk so the arrow angled up the sinus cavity, it would have gotten you closer to the brain.

The arrow that you shot into the body cavity which completely penetrated the abdomen, was actually "under" the ribs....right?

28-Apr-14
No it went between two ribs

28-Apr-14
Jake - Been patiently waiting on that video to surface too, thanx for pursuing....

• Sitka Gear