Moultrie Mobile
Bow Hunting New Zealand
International
Contributors to this thread:
boschman158 12-Mar-14
bghunter 12-Mar-14
W.P. Archer 12-Mar-14
12-Mar-14
I am planning to move my family to New Zealand for a few months next winter. We want to bow hunt a fair amount while we are there, has any one ever gone there and hunted on their own? Is it posible to get tags and permits as a non resident?

Thanks

Dan

12-Mar-14
There are no seasons or tags need. The only exception to that I believe are some Elk hunts which are draws. No permits for archery and rifles are a $25 dollar fee at the airport for import.

Get ahold of AZdogman on here he has gone several times DIY over there and would be the person to talk to. Also a bowsite search on New Zealand will give you more information.

I would go to South Island as that way you can chase Tahr and Chamois, as I dont believe they are on North island.

Heck you can hunt whitetails there too on an island in the far south of the south island, but cant think of the name of the island it is one hell of a hunt from what I heard too.

12-Mar-14
The name of the island is called Stewart Island and there is a good herd of whitetail there.

As mentioned above, the South Island is better for hunting in my opinion but there are good hunting spots on the north island for sure... I've just never hunted the north.

You won't be needing any tags for game other than if you wanted to go into selected draws for blocks down in the areas that hold Wop/ elk and that is in the far southern regions.

• Sitka Gear