StickFlicker 07-Apr-14
Frank Sanders 07-Apr-14
B N A A guy 08-Apr-14
Txnrog 08-Apr-14
gretsch 08-Apr-14
bbjavelina 08-Apr-14
Txnrog 08-Apr-14
03-Apr-14
Recently I have begun the task of researching our options for a plains game hunt in 2015.

I have started gathering up all the info I can. I was looking over the prices for some various outfits, and the first thing I noticed is the HUGE spread on animal cost. It is all over the board.

Anyone know why this is?

Trophy quality less with the cheaper outfits?

03-Apr-14
You need to contact the Outfitter/PH/Safari Company. Get a total price on your Safari, inclusive of daily rates, transfers, trophy fees, permits, and ALL associated costs. Then compare, some use low trophy fees but higher daily rates and vice versa. Also get referrals from BOWHUNTERS! Good Luck!

03-Apr-14
A lot of it has do with availability of a particular animal at the particular outfit/region/country.

I've been twice and both times I booked through Neil Summers at BSC. If you establish priorities including hunting style (spot and stalk or waterhole) a list of animals you're after and non-hunting related activities Neil can recommend on outfitter or two. Ken Moody and Dries Visser also get high marks but I've never worked with them.

The second trip we did we spent 15 days including 7 days each at two different outfits (Melorani and Tshepe) and I highly recommend this. It takes so long to get there you might as well stay and extra 5 days. Plus between these two outfits they're going to have nearly every animal you can imagine.

03-Apr-14
I've been noticing the same thing. I bought a package through Wild Wildebeest Safari's at the NWTF banquet and it appears to be a good deal, however their trophy fees seem to be very high. A Kudu over 55 inches is $4880. One of these days I'm going to get on a variety of outfitters sites and create a spreadsheet matrix of trophy fee's for the various outfitters. I'm thinking that the $$$ I'm saving in Daily fee's will be a loss once I factor in the trophy fees for the list I'm after. It's good to do your homework and make sure you are getting the best value for the type of hunt you are looking for.

03-Apr-14
Like everything else, price is based on supply and demand. The more there is the less you have to pay. Some ranches are loaded with kudu at a reasonable price but they have very few gemsbok so the price will be higher than a ranch that has plenty.

03-Apr-14
go with Neil or direct with Limcroma Safaris (they are sponsors here) I had hunt with them and both will provide an outstanding service

03-Apr-14
BO-N-ARO makes a good point. That being said, you get what you pay for. While many of the companies offer the same species and different prices they could differ greatly in personal service. Any of the sponsors on Bowiste will take care of you and offer you a good deal.

For example I'm booked again with Dries Visser for this July...but I'm also booked with Ken Moody for elephant in 2016. Both are Bowsite sponsors.

03-Apr-14
Trophy fees are set based upon varying factors; 1) rate of exchange, 2) availability of species within the hunting areas, 3) whether the company is hunting naturally propagated animals or animals purchased thru game capture on on auction, 4) profit margin the company has set for itself. All play a factor with #2 being the least of these.

03-Apr-14
Dependable info above.

We've booked our third trip for July '14, and I worked it largely using the spreadsheet as mentioned above. I'd share it, but it wouldn't be of any use to anyone else. Two of us will be there for 15 days and a third for 9 days and that makes the daily rates change during the hunt as well as everyone being after different critters. But it does give you a broader picture.

This year we booked thru Neil Summers at BSC and he's been very easy to deal with. We'll see how the hunt turns out.

Our last trip was with Limcroma and I agree with Toby above that Hannes Ells will provide you with a great hunt at a reasonable price.

Best of luck to you.

06-Apr-14
In February I hunted in one farm in SA where the most expensive animal on the list was about 1400 USD (nyala). Warthogs and Impalas were 80-100 USD, kudu was about 800 USD. Daily rate was 140 USD (including 5 hour airport transfers).

Naturally it is not easy to find big trophies from these kind of places (unless you get lucky).

There are also a lot of farms that mainly locals use, prices are a lot lower than in bigger places.

You can have a really nice African experience with lot less money.

06-Apr-14
gretsch,

That's so very true.

At least some of the farms have hunts for the residents during the off-season and the prices are pretty attractive. From what little I know about it they do not provide nearly the services they do for us foreigners. At least some of these hunts are "bring your own tent, food, and water.

They also offer "meat" hunts to help cull the excess critters. Helps the farmers control the herd without the cost of helicopter roundups and such.

Some outfitters allow you to shoot culls and females at a very reasonable cost while your there, but not all of them put that on their price list.

07-Apr-14
Another reason that they are less expensive for locals is that I don't believe they are required to have a PH with them. Having to furnish a PH as well as catering raises the price considerably to foreign hunters.

07-Apr-14
I, like Tilzbow, used Neil at BSC and would never do a trip without him if I didn't know exactly who I was dealing with and what I was doing. There is no extra charge for him and he knows the place incredibly well. Everything he did for me was spot on, my money stayed in the US so no worries there and the places he sent were incredible and the people were outstanding. I know there are others who do this and I'm sure are as good, but I can vouch for Neil. He set up a 3 country, 35 day hunt for me and it went flawlessly and I shot way more stuff than I ever should've but I don't regret a thing!!

08-Apr-14
Ken Moody brings up an excellent point. Many safari operations will attend game auctions to essentially restock their preserve. They are paying for these animals and that in turn often drives up the trophy fees as they are going to make their money back for sure.

It is important to keep in mind ( IMO ) that especially on a trip to Africa you should probably lean towards quality over deal. There are places over there that you can haggle and barter with for the best deal but most likely in the end you may not get the true professional bowhunting experience that you are looking for. Often times just getting your trophies home can be a huge hassle. That is unless you are bowhunting with a top shelf operation such as mentioned above. There is nothing worse than taking an exceptional trophy and then opening your crate several months later to see that the trophy you have a picture of is not what you received mounted in your crate.

In short the best operations work with the best people and a quality safari operation will take care of you from start to finish.

There have been some excellent choices mentioned above. Start there and I wish you the very best of luck wherever you wind up in SA. One thing is certain, prepare to get hooked on bowhunting there!!

Best regards, Scott Alberda

08-Apr-14
All good info. There are some pretty substantial regional differences in prices as well. For example, kudu are generally less expensive on the cape for 2 reasons first, they are a smaller subspecies (generally, some ranches have stocked the northern variety), second, there are generally denser populations of them so they may not have to stock if they have a big enough natural population (you can carry a lot more 400lb kudu on the same size property as 650lb kudu). Long and short, you need to compare prices on a regional basis to get the most accurate comparison.

There are plenty of deals to be had, but you have to be smart about it. I lucked into having an ex-pat friend that got me on some good places that didn't do as much international business. Bow setups, ranch size, and camps varied, but I was willing to accept that given the price. We were also very mobile and moved onto the next place if not happy with what we were seeing. I would not recommend doing the same thing cold unless you are very flexible with expectations - IMO the most important thing is aligning your expectations with where you are going.

Also, buyer be ware on auction hunts. There are some that are good deals, but there are a lot that just cover enough of the base cost to get you hooked into the hunt, and net out to basically the same cost as booking direct.

08-Apr-14
Those bigger more expensive outfitters have better infrastructure for sure. If I am in 500 USD daily rate well known place I can get my trophies back 6-7 months, but those smaller places often have more difficulties and serious delays organizing taxidermist and shipments. It is not nice to wait many years just to receive wrong trophies.

But in general I prefer atmosphere of those smaller, more local outfits.

08-Apr-14
I can attest to what gretsch says about the atmosphere.

We've hunted with one "small" outfitter and one "large".

With the "small" outfitter we were guaranteed exclusive access with 2 hunters and 2 non-hunters. We had a great experience and dined with the family and PH's. We had a fantastic experience and killed a few head.

With the "large" outfitter it seemed as if there were different guest each evening. Hunters coming and going each day, it seemed.

We were very well taken care of, but with far less personal attention. My hunting partner actually had to request that the mayonnaise be on the inside of his sandwich.

But, we were put on a truckload of game and had a great hunt.

We're up for our third hunt in July. Maybe in another few trips I'll be able to decide which I really prefer.

08-Apr-14
I've never had an issue getting trophies back from a smaller outfit. BUT I have always left a little time at the end of the hunt to meet with the taxidermist or dip and ship company myself. Not always practical, but many of the smaller outfits would rather you do this since they may not be as familiar with the process.

• Sitka Gear