Sitka Gear
usfws ban ivory from zim/taz
International
Contributors to this thread:
bghunter 04-Apr-14
DAL1 04-Apr-14
DAL1 04-Apr-14
04-Apr-14
For those of you with elephant hunts planned in Zimbabwe and Tanzania sci just sent out notice usfws is expected to be banning ivory imports from these two countries.

If I knew how to post e mail I would, but can't figure it out. I know a bunch of you have hi ts scheduled so I hope it works out in your favor

04-Apr-14
here is the link to the USFWS news release:

http://www.fws.gov/news/ShowNews.cfm?ID=2E6FF2A2-E10F-82BC-DAE08807810E3C6B

04-Apr-14
Service Suspends Import of Elephant Trophies from Tanzania and Zimbabwe April 4, 2014

Contacts: Gavin Shire 703-346-9123 [email protected]

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service today announced a suspension on imports of sport-hunted African elephant trophies taken in Tanzania and Zimbabwe during calendar year 2014. Questionable management practices, a lack of effective law enforcement and weak governance have resulted in uncontrolled poaching and catastrophic population declines of African elephants in Tanzania. In Zimbabwe, available data, though limited, indicate a significant decline in the elephant population. Anecdotal evidence, such as the widely publicized poisoning last year of 300 elephants in Hwange National Park, suggests that Zimbabwe’s elephants are also under siege.

Given the current situation on the ground in both Tanzania and Zimbabwe, the Service is unable to make positive findings required under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) and the Endangered Species Act to allow import of elephant trophies from these countries. Additional killing of elephants in these countries, even if legal, is not sustainable and is not currently supporting conservation efforts that contribute towards the recovery of the species.

The decision to suspend the import of sport-hunted trophies from Tanzania and Zimbabwe applies to elephants taken in 2014. The Service will reevaluate this suspension for calendar year 2015 or upon receipt of new information that demonstrates an improved situation for elephants in these countries.

Legal, well-regulated sport hunting, as part of a sound management program, can benefit the conservation of listed species by providing incentives to local communities to conserve the species and by putting much-needed revenue back into conservation. At this time, the Service does not have conservation concerns with African elephant sport hunting in Namibia, South Africa, or Botswana; though it should be noted that Botswana is not currently open to sport hunting.

• Sitka Gear