dave kaden 08-Jun-15
dave kaden 08-Jun-15
W.P. Archer 08-Jun-15
dave kaden 08-Jun-15
Swivelhead 11-Jul-15
GhostBird 11-Jul-15
07-Apr-14
Hi guys,

I'm booked to hunt Africa in 2015 but I'm wanting to do some homework on yet another trip after that where I would really like to do a hunt mainly for Bushbuck, spot and stalk style along the river bottoms some place.

Any ideas guys ? I don't mind roughing it and would even enjoy a backpack style hunt over a few days at a time, then head back to camp, stock up on items and head off again.

Cheers,

WPA.

07-Apr-14
Hannes in Limcroma have a good quantities of bushbucks that you can hunt by the river. It is not easy at all, by the way. I tried but not success.,

07-Apr-14
Toby tells it right.

In '11 we hunted with Limcroma and had a great trip. We had an extra day at the end of the trip and the PH took us for a drive along the river. We saw quite a few Bushbuck and I believe they would have been very huntable.

I believe Hannes is a sponsor here. See what he has to say.

07-Apr-14
There's scads of farms and ranches in the East Cape where you can spot/stalk the cape bushbuck. Lot's of opportunity.

07-Apr-14
I would put another vote in for the east cape. Some big free range places like Noel Ross' concession that have a high number of bushbuck. You might have some more territory to work than in the Limpopo where your best odds are along the river.

BUT, that would depend on where you are currently going in 2015. Lots to explore in SA would go to a different region the second time around

07-Apr-14
Agree with Hollywood.

Lots of bushbuck available, primarily via spot/stalk in the Eastern Cape.

If you have only hunted N of Jo-burg, e.g. in the Limpopo, you have missed a gorgeous part of South Africa with entirely different terrain and vegetation.

It does involve an in-country flight down to Capetown or Port Elizabeth, but I love those rolling GREEN hills and white sand beaches!

Pete

07-Apr-14

AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
Agree with issues of only hunting along the Limpopo. I spent the better part of the last 10 hunt on foot after them along a 2 mile stretch of river we had access to. The thickets were very dense and tangled with spiderweb like vines. Hard to run out of in case you bumped a sleeping hippo! They are not that easy to hunt unless you are in a blind and happen to have one come by. Super skittish and quick to vanish, in that stuff, but if you are dedicated to putting in enough time it is doable. Now I will get to see what Hans Els at Limcroma has in mind for me on his place, as BB will be my main focus once again this August. Since just about every inch of Limpopo River front habitat is privately owned and usually part of large farm operations, access can be limited as it was on my last hunt. As I understand it, the Cape subspecies are very plentiful to the south and not as concentrated as the Limpopo subspecies to the rivers, so it might be a lot easier on foot for spot and stalk. Either way they are a cool challenge. I hope to see some of that country as well this summer after Limcroma. Good Luck!!

Pic: Nice one that got away off a video clip

07-Apr-14
oops, meant to say: "better part of the last 10 day hunt on foot"

07-Apr-14
I killed one with my bow when I was bowhunting buffalo with Sandy McDonald in Mozambique. He has/had 50K free range acres there to hunt. Killed mine spot & stalk, was my 3rd or 4th stalk. Quite a few of them there, but like many have said, tough to get close to and tough to get an arrow through a lot of that cover. It was the first one killed by a bowhunter there, but there also had been that many bowhunters in camp. Killed a great buffalo, bushpig, sable, reedbuck and a few warthogs as well as a killed croc, all archery. Long and short, very game rich area. Maybe contact him, he was a great guy and my PH was Leon Lamprecht, a truly stand up man as well as an awesome hunter. This was in 2002, so no idea if he still has camps there

08-Apr-14
Thanks very much for the info guys, please keep it coming.

I'm booked to hunt Namibia next year with the same operation as I hunted with last year. I am able to stalk there ( last time I shot a nice Steenbok ram ) and also to hunt the blinds but I've always liked the idea of stalking Bushbuck through some thick cover in a game of cat and mouse.

I'd like to mix the hunt up a bit I am thinking... Mainly spot and stalk for the little guys like duiker etc and anything else that may pop along and I'm not bothered to hunt Zim or some other place...al part of the adventure.

08-Apr-14
If you like the little guys, look at some of the coastal regions to hunt. Cape and KZN would be on my list (hunted both) totally different terrain that what you've experienced in Namibia, and different game list. Nyala, bushbuck, red duiker, common duiker, blue duiker, reedbuck (mt and common), bushpig - all native. Cool country and close enough that you could do both on the same hunt. You'll get a similar game list in southern Mozambique too with the addition of wild sable and some of the big 7.

Waterholes are a bit less productive in those regions anyways. You'll still see game on waterholes, but don't expect a parade of herds - there's generally enough water that the animals are more disbursed.

08-Apr-14
Thanks for that Roger, do you have any links to operations in those areas? I don't mind hunting water holes in blinds but like to mix things up on a hunt is all.

08-Apr-14
And to hunt Nyala on foot as well as some of the Duiker species is sounding just what I'm after....

14-May-14
I'd like to see that imfo too.I'm planning another trip and the little animals is what I'm after this trip out.Nyala though not small is one on the top of my list along with bushbuck

15-May-14
I got mine spot and stalk in the East Cape. Mostly hunted them in the Hills not the river actually. It took me 3 trips to get one with a bow. I saw 20+ rams on my 3rd hunt and honestly could have spent the entire trip just chasing them and been happy. This hunt was with Blauukrantz.

16-May-14
Took one along the Matlabas river in the Limpopo Provence in 2007 at 40 yds. with a rifle. Took 5 days but doable.

18-May-14
Without a doubt -- Dumukwa Safaris in Limpopo. Did it back in 2002-- a hefty challenge but very doable. Dumukwa's camp is right on the Limpopo. Bertus and his guides grew up there hunting Bushbok, it is in their blood. They have world-class Bushbok in their area and know how to hunt them.

As someone already said, the bush is thick and spot/stalk Bushbok is not a slam-dunk (especially with archery). They are wild game (if one busts you and barks that hunting session is pretty much done), so plan on a few days if they are on the menu. It is really a blast and success is very rewarding.

22-May-14
Hello W. P. Arch

I've been to South Africa twice with one organization ( John X Safaris). ( A few past SCI presidents and Craig Boddington have been with this organization.)The organization set the bar pretty high and I really enjoyed hunting mid-south Africa and the eastern cape areas with them. They Have access to over 3,000,000 acres of land. They hunt both bow and rifle and did an amazing job with both. I share your love of bow hunting Bushbuck. They did an amazing job of guiding me with very highly trained bow hunting PH's. I would definitely recommend these guys for that spot and stalk experience in the Eastern Cape. I had a great time on both hunts and am returning in June of 2016 with my son as his high school graduation present to bow hunt again.

26-May-14
Thanks guys for all your tips on places to hunt bushbuck. At this stage I'm still looking at doing this hunt in 2016 as I'm off to hunt bears in BC next month, then Namibia in 2015 for chat with a Kudu I missed out on having last time I was there! Keep it coming guys... One can't do enough homework nor get tired of hunting tales from Africa I say!

Cheers,

ak.

02-Jun-15
Well I'm 8 weeks out from my second trip to Namibia, hunting with the same operation I did for my first hunt to Africa back in 2013. This time I'm taking my new partner as we are eloping ( our second time each) and tacking a quick 7 day hunt after we do all the wedding/tourist thing.

I'm a lucky guy as Karen is super keen to hunt - she'll be rifle hunting in another area during the day whilst I'm out and about with the recurve in hand - so I a tad worried on the trophy bill this time around!

All that being said... I'm still planning to make my third trip for a longer hunt, say 14 odd days... And as mentioned above, primarily for bushbuck with nyala a very close second. In fact I'll be happy to slip a good arrow through any animal who gives up his shoulder!

Gotta love it how a man can be planning his third trip to hunt Africa when he is weeks out from his second...

Life is good.

02-Jun-15
Congratulations and good luck. Post pictures.

03-Jun-15
I shot a couple in Zim, tough hunt! Good Luck have FUN!

03-Jun-15
Just doing some homework as we speak and it seems like a 'spiral horn package' would suit me best Im thinking.

Bushbuk, Nayla, Kudu and Eland...

What sort of prices do you guys think would be acceptable for say a 14 day hunt, naturally my partner will be coming along also, but I would not think she'd hunt as hard as I plan to.

Just throwing it out there guys... thinking out aloud of sorts....

Cheers,

ak.

05-Jun-15

AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
WP, Congrats on the upcoming wedding and finding a partner who can really enjoy it with you. The Spiral Horn slam is something most guys cannot do in a single two week hunt, although there are some exceptions, (one right here on Bowsite). The BB will likely be the hardest to collect and can eat up a good chunk of your hunt. Kudu, Nyala would likely be the easiest to put in the salt, followed by Eland (from a blind). As for me it took three hunts over 8 years to finally get my Bushbuck, plus and Eland for the four. I probably spent 28 days hunting for my BB which came with a crazy-ass long shot in the dark (guides were spotlighting) as he was moving away through a small opening at 52 yds. I had to get used to the way BB are hunted traditionally there, being the only antelope species that can be legally hunted at night. It was a great moment seeing it finally come together and that green nocturnal hitting its mark and its glow bouncing off into the dense black thicket until it stopped and fell dead. I told my PH if you hear me whoop and holler it's because that moment was going to be like just experiencing the best sex of your life!

07-Jun-15
Wow Rich! Mate that sounds like a tough gig right there,my thanks for the rundown! Like I said, bushbuck at at the top followed by Nayla. I guess finding a place that has stalkable numbers will be the key. Also.... Finding the right operation that will let me mainly spot & stalk with a bow will also be the key.

08-Jun-15
I got out of the blinds and stalked bushbuck along the river and managed to get a nice 13" buck. Although not the largest or highest scoring ,OF my sa TROPHYS, It was the trophy of which I was most proud. I came up out of a gully that fed into river, real slow and there was buck feeding with a couple of does.

08-Jun-15

dave kaden's embedded Photo
dave kaden's embedded Photo
I got out of the blinds and stalked bushbuck along the river and managed to get a nice 13" buck. Although not the largest or highest scoring ,OF my sa TROPHYS, It was the trophy of which I was most proud. I came up out of a gully that fed into river, real slow and there was buck feeding with a couple of does.

08-Jun-15
Dave, never bother mate with the length of horn in regards to how a hunt went. That right there is just what Im after! Outstanding! I bet those days of hunting will always come back with a smile...

08-Jun-15
good luck, and keep us posted with hunt details! you have picked a worthy challenge. They are a special trophy with a bow.

11-Jul-15
Save Conservancy has some really nice riverine habitat that is perfect for stalking bushbuck. I'd recommend Mokore, Humani or Sango. Good areas and good people too. Buddy of mine got a spot & stalk 17" out of Sango along the Save river. He still rides us about that one.

11-Jul-15
Check out Ken Moody. Ken has moved his African operation and now has a lot of Limpopo River frontage. Should be good for bushbuck. I hope to go there soon and finally get me a bushbuck.

• Sitka Gear