BEA 13-Jun-14
daretobowhunt 17-Jun-14
BEA 17-Jun-14
Spiral Horn 17-Jun-14
BEA 17-Jun-14
05-Jun-14

BEA's embedded Photo
BEA's embedded Photo
I missed a connecting fligth so I have a couple hrs to kill in an airport. I'll do up a better report later, but just had my first African experience with Dare To Bowhunt, with Alison and Lammie.

Great people to hunt with, as with all the good places...you come as clients but leave as friends...more later but here's the highlites of my recurve bow hunt. I was worried that the 48lb black widow might be too light, but Lammie told me that if I did my part...the shaving sharp bh would do it's....turns out he was correct. 3 arrows, 3 nice animals. All quick , short recoveries....100 yards and under.

05-Jun-14

05-Jun-14

BEA's embedded Photo
BEA's embedded Photo

05-Jun-14

BEA's embedded Photo
BEA's embedded Photo

05-Jun-14

BEA's embedded Photo
BEA's embedded Photo
sorry about the xxx post....doing this from phone

05-Jun-14
Looks like a great trip! Thanks for sharing the pics!

05-Jun-14
Very nice... that warthog is a good un!

05-Jun-14
Really nice Warthog. This is how the African bug starts

05-Jun-14
thanks....i am already making plans for a return trip.

05-Jun-14
Return trip? Now that was predicted right? Glad you had a great adventure! C

06-Jun-14
Congrats! It does not matter what propels your arrow as long as the broadhead is sharp and the shot placement is perfect.

09-Jun-14
Lammie is a great fellow. Glad you had a good hunt

09-Jun-14
Buff ( if Ive got my names and stories correct) Lammie shared some details of your lion hunt....very exciting stuff!

09-Jun-14
Congrats on a good hunt! Lammie and Alison certainly are fun to hunt with!

09-Jun-14

09-Jun-14
I agree bigguy...saving my pennes for a return trip asap!

10-Jun-14
glad you had a great hunt. good trophies. Forrest

10-Jun-14
Roger,

Congrats on your great hunt and trophies -- that Warthog is a Whopper.

Really enjoyed our chat at JNB.

Ken

10-Jun-14
Thanks Ken! I really enjoyed it as well. From the first few minutes I could tell two things....you were very experienced at hunting Africa and that you absolutely love it!

I hope we can cross trails again sometime!

10-Jun-14
Trad Nyala? ...that's freakin' awesome!

11-Jun-14
Thanks Hollywood...I think he's a pretty good one too! I'm still buzzing and planing a return trip already hahah!

11-Jun-14
How is the nyala hunting there??When I go back that's one animal I'd like a chance at.All your trophies are very nice,not just the warthog.I'd be very happy to have them all on my wall hanging.love to hear more about your trip.DTB is someone I've been thinking of going with next trip out

11-Jun-14

BEA's embedded Photo
BEA's embedded Photo
Nyala were spotted most days. And on the days I didn't see any , other hunters in camp did.

I'm not the best at judging them, as this was my first time in Africa but I saw one for sure and maybe two that were clearly bigger than the one I took. I'm anxious to get this one scored. He was nice and long and he was thick all the way up. I must confess tho, I'm not even 100% sure what all measurements are taken to get a final score.

Game of all types was plentiful but cautious around the water.

If you are a bowhunter I would definitely talk to Lammie and Allison. It was hard to leave their lodge and hospitality!

hope this helps some.....

11-Jun-14
Did you see many Zebra?

11-Jun-14

BEA's embedded Photo
BEA's embedded Photo
yes and no ....I saw quite a few, maybe 20-30 but I personally didnt see any at the waterholes I hunted, but again, other hunters in camp had them come to water. And zebra wasn't one of my first target animals so I wasn't hunting where the t cams showed they were watering.

11-Jun-14
SCI measures length along the spiral both horns and adds bases

12-Jun-14
thankyou....

can any more experienced folks here guess the bases from the picture....we quickly put a tape on the nyala...and although at the moment my head was spinning lol....I think it was 29.5 inch....never did measure base...but they seemed thicker than some of the other mature bulls I saw.

Thanks in advance...love this forum for info.

12-Jun-14
Thanks Roger. I'm planning in a return hunt in SA, and I want to get another. I made a rug with my 1st Zebra and really want one for a mount. They really say "Africa" :-)

12-Jun-14
Hi Roger,

Horned animals usually take a couple of different angles to get a true sense of the horns. But your Nyala is beautifully symmetrical and certainly has some mass. Looks to me that he's approaching 8 - 8 1/2 inch bases -- unless its a bad camera angle, don't think he'll quite make 29 inches long.

If you really want to know what he scores would suggest contacting whomever is doing your dip/pack. Most of those folks are measurers and usually don't mind laying a tape on it for you.

All the best, and congrats again on a great safari.

Ken

12-Jun-14
Yes, I was going to suggest the same... to contact the Taxidermist there doing the dip and pack. Best to get it measured officially before it dries out and is subjected to the skull being boiled. It's not like there has to be a 60 day drying period for African trophies like B&C or P&Y. It is a very nice Nyala and I believe the base mass will end up adding nicely to its score. Average length of Nyala are usually about 24-27", so 29" would be a very respectable. Regardless, he is simply beautiful. How are you going to mount him?

12-Jun-14

RK's Link
BEA

Don't measure it. You were more than happy when you shot it. It is a great trophy. Warthog is super impala great.

There are no rules that require you to measure anything you kill. Great trophies great memories great thoughts on returning one day

Leave it there

13-Jun-14
I agree, an inch here or there makes no diff to me....but i am curious.

Like I say....I may be off on the measurement...I honestly can't remember....but I will ask.

Thanks for the input, the African stuff is all new to me....I really do appreciate the advice/tips.

someone once told me you can't go to Africa just once.....I believe them now lol!

17-Jun-14
Roger, it was great having you. Your 'way above' average shooting was rewarded with excellent trophies. Your trophies measured as follows: Nyala 28 1/4, 28 1/2 with 81/2 base. Impala 22 1/2, and Warthog 13".Thanks again for hunting with us.

17-Jun-14
Thanks Lammie, I couldn't be happier....I'll be back!!!1.

17-Jun-14
Congrats Roger! Your Nyala measures as an SCI Gold Medal and Rowland Ward qualifier. Regardless of that it is also a beautifully symmetrical Nyala with great mass that he carries all of the way to the end of his horns. Well Done!

17-Jun-14
thanks spiral horn....man you called that thing to a tee...just from seeing one picture....well done-good eye!

• Sitka Gear