HighLife 09-Jun-14
Bowfreak 09-Jun-14
Tundra 09-Jun-14
RK 09-Jun-14
Fuzzy 10-Jun-14
05-Jun-14

iceman's embedded Photo
iceman's embedded Photo
A buddy of mine sent me this picture yesterday, not sure where he got it from. It is disturbing. I've never been to Africa, and haven't had the experiences that some of you have had. I find this mind boggling that this happens. I can only imagine it will get worse as the wonderful governments over there continue to outlaw hunting. Hunting is conservation.

05-Jun-14
With the hunting all but stopped unfortunately this will only increase! I can't count the number of poachers and snares I have encountered on my trips to Africa, with no hunters in the field, well this will only increase.

The Irony of it is the tourists (most of whom dislike hunting) will buy Ivory trinkets, ignorant of the consequences to the Elephants. But still think hunting is the problem!

05-Jun-14
Any idea how old this photo is? Damn shame......and it will only get worse.....

05-Jun-14
DAMNIT!

05-Jun-14
Jake, Not sure how old the photos is. You're right. Damn shame. It's terrible no matter when it was taken.

05-Jun-14

adam's Link
MM found this looks like march 2013?

05-Jun-14
Guys,

It might just be me but look at that photo, Rowdy Dowdy himself would be embarrassed.

It died in the middle of the road with its head in a nice upright position..... an Elephant.... No one is moving him.

I do agree with the sentiments of the posts though, It will only get worse.

05-Jun-14
See the blood lines down the ears? Side brain shot. Dropped straight down, Chainsaw the front off and gone. Time would be a couple of minutes or less from time it was sighted. It was cut far enough back so as to avoid the tusk ends. This one was small and had small ivory. Shame.

05-Jun-14
Unfortunately, this will never stop happening over there as long as Ivory is valuable somewhere in the world. Same thing with Rhino horn. There is hardly enough law enforcement anywhere to keep them (poachers) only half way controlled.

It would take something more like a concerted military response to deal with the problem, but even then when the country is remote, it becomes difficult at best to get the bad guys. Most countries allow them to be shot dead if caught in the act and if they are armed. Still this does not seem to be an effective deterrent.

If it were possible, it would be great if these countries could contract trained professional missionaries equipped with the latest in surveillance and satellite technology plus weaponry to put some fear into these criminals.

Hmmm...Maybe a worldwide fund should be started for bankrolling this kind of response with volunteers welcome.

Unfortunately, the politics there would be impossible to get around. They want to do it themselves!

05-Jun-14
Head shot with a Rage guys...BPM was just iver there...fishy fishy

05-Jun-14
TBM you are one sick individual.

07-Jun-14
Filthy savages

07-Jun-14
Kakiiat,

I would not be too critical. In KS headless bucks decorate the landscape with amazing frequency. Not as large, but just as pitiful. They are so common they seldom get a second look.

08-Jun-14
Drone strike on the poacher camps would be more than appropriate.

08-Jun-14
RHale 2 weeks ago some guys were cleaning up around a popular dumping spot east of Dodge City and there were several dead deer with racks cut off that had been dumped. Along with a cow carcass, furniture and tires. Gotta love the low life bastards in society these days.

08-Jun-14
Well, it looks fresh and I'd bet the meat was used. Only down fall is the government didn't get the trophy fee money and some rich white guy didn't get the tusks, 4 foot stools and a hair bracelet. .

08-Jun-14
It is a down fall killinstuff(handle fit you ). Because some of that trophy fee money would have gone to preventing this kind of stuff

FYI. Out of our last 5 guys sent to Africa 3 were Not white rich guys

Your ignorance is shockingly obvious

08-Jun-14
Doubt the meat was utilized. Tusk would have been tiny. Likely a young cow.

09-Jun-14
RK, no need to be a dick (unless you are one), you must be a trophy guy, I'm just a hunter.

Mr. Hale why don't you think the meat was used?

09-Jun-14
killinstuff,

If the animal had been killed in Mozambique (non-importable), even a "rich white guy" could not have imported the tusks, 4 foot stools, and hair bracelet.

R. Hale,

What criteria are you using to determine the size (and probable gender) of this animal?

09-Jun-14
Likely spoiled prior to investigation being completed. Elephant are great generators of heat and bloat up quickly, fill with maggots etc.

I know of no one who goes to hunt Africa for the meat. You cannot bring it home. I guess that makes everyone who goes there a "trophy guy". Is that bad?

09-Jun-14
Mr "killinstuff", your apparent ignorance of the game management situation is partly a reason to be excused for your first post, but your subsequent rudeness can not to be excused.

I'd suggest you try and inform yourself about why poaching is disastrous for african game, the african Nations' economies, and the african villagers themselves, so that you can form a coherent apology to Mr Hale and others.

Signed a " working-class meat-hunter with a brain"

Fuzzy

09-Jun-14
Mr "killinstuff", your apparent ignorance of the game management situation is partly a reason to be excused for your first post, but your subsequent rudeness can not to be excused.

I'd suggst you try and inform yourself about why poaching is disastrous for african game, the african Nations' economies, and the african villagers themselves, so that you can form a coherernt apology to Mr Hale and others.

Signed a "working-class meat-hunter with a brain"

Fuzzy

09-Jun-14
A lot of the problem want ever end because there is not enough distribution of the wealth provided by hunts....Some of the rogue hunters see poaching as a means to some extra coin and just "do it". This is very similar to what has happened in our own country where the wealthy supply the means for outfitters to operate and gobble up land once available to everyone and made it hard for the average Joe to hunt. This increases, not decreases poaching and makes it difficult to pass on the tradition. Everyone should just quit paying to hunt...just quit. Itvwoukd only take a couple of years and states could lease property for the public at virtually no cost.

09-Jun-14
Medicinemann,

In the distant past I spent a good bit of time hunting elephants in southern Africa. Tracked up many. Looked them over. In close with the herds. I killed what many say will be the last really good bull legally killed in Africa. 8 foot long tusk resting on the ground bull.

This animal has all the appearances of a young cow. Small size, smooth skin, no wrinkles, fuzzy hair all over it, small skinny legs, small feet. Small compact looking body. Just a young cow. Might be a young bull, but I doubt it.

09-Jun-14
The only real way to stop the trade in illegal ivory and rhino horn is to educate the Chinese etc that oriental 'medicine' is hokum...but then that's not being culturally sensitive and governments are sh*t scared of upsetting the Chinese with mega deals in the offing

09-Jun-14
TBM your ignorance knows no boundaries.

09-Jun-14
Geez TBM....I don't think you could conjure up a more ridiculous post if you try.

09-Jun-14
Asia is definitely the problem. TBM why do you even post any of your ridiculous rants.

09-Jun-14
Kiillinstuff

Yep nailed me. I am a dick

Good job. You got one thing right

TBM. What the hell is wrong with you. Your post is ill informed and idiotic to say the least. And you are the new hunting hero ?? Yea right. For gods sake get some remedial education

10-Jun-14
"remedial"?

try "basic"

lol

• Sitka Gear