hoytshooter1 30-Jun-14
SilentT 01-Jul-14
safari 02-Jul-14
bsbowhunter 13-Jul-14
Barty1970 17-Jul-14
Bud Meadows 17-Jul-14
MathewsMan 18-Jul-14
25-Jun-14
Headed to RSA in three weeks for the first time to hunt with Ken Moody. Can't wait. Got any last minute advice.

25-Jun-14
Here's my lessons learned from last year's trip S.Africa.

Always bring a self-inflating seat cushion if hunting in a hide.

Bring hand sanitizer to clean hands in the hide.

Bring a bar of soap. African soap doesn't lather like American soaps.

Bring souvenir money in small bills. Use Visa when possible. You normally get a better exchange rate from your credit card company.

Lock your check-in bags. Use zip-ties on the smaller external compartments.

Fly direct from Atlanta via Delta airlines if possible. Purchase Economy Comfort at the very least and get an aisle seat.

Pack light, there's daily laundry service.

Take lots of pictures. I used a Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS camera. Worked great.

Have extra memory card and battery. Bring charger too.

DVS had an adapter in the room. I didn't need anything else for power.

If hunting only from a hide, use one green pin set at 20 yards. Keep it simple.

Have lighted pins. I used a Montana Gold sight with light. Used the light a couple times.

Bring a rangefinder to confirm distances.

Bring a good set of binos. Makes looking at animals more enjoyable.

Wear black hoodie in the hide.

Bring a fleece vest.

Make sure your clothing is quite. These animals have keen hearing.

High-top hiking shoes are fine.

Every plant seems to have spikes. Sneakers are a no-go for hunting. Spikes pierce the soles.

Bring a good book to read while in the hide. The sits are all day.

Carry a couple arrows with Judo points for shooting guinea hens for the chef. They taste great.

Practice from the sized window you will shoot from. Makes a big difference. First time I shot during practice, my eyes switched (I shoot with both eyes open). Closed one eye to make sure.

Center the animal in the widow and I had no issues while shooting with both eyes open.

That's about it. Enjoy your adventure.

25-Jun-14
Get Ken & Herman to tell you about the lady that shot the giraffe and the snake a few years ago. :)

... have fun, you are in good hands!

25-Jun-14
Along with the photos, take a good video cam and small tripod. Your PH can operate it for you. Take a journal and make notes of the days events before you go to bed. Take some "give-Me" hats to give to the skinners and trackers. Any shirts or sweaters as well. A pack or two of American cigs and you will have a friend for life. Shoot more than you plan, it will never be cheaper than now and a lot of the expense is getting there and back. Ask your taxidermist for ID tags to have attached to the skins and horns. Ask him who he uses to get them received. Ask him if he wants you to take field measurements.... he will show you what and how. Not sure if it has changed, but you should tip the blacks in RAN. It was illegal for them to have US dollars and they would sale them for way under value. Have some fun!!!

25-Jun-14
Rule Number 1#! HAVE FUN!

If it starts to go sideways see Rule #1!!!!!

25-Jun-14
Make sure wind is blowing directly into your hide. If not, get moved immediately.

Aim straight up the leg into the big leg muscle- not behind the shoulder.

Let the animal come to the water hole to drink and get comfortable- then pick your shot.

Take candy for the kids.

25-Jun-14
See rule #1 above.

Shoot straight.

I ain't been, but these are universal....and good luck !

25-Jun-14
Be an opportunist, not a "list" follower when it comes to animals/species. Take what Africa gives you. On my first Bowhunting Safari the other guy in camp was trying to follow a list of animals he wanted to take IN ORDER. At the end of the week he was very disappointed. I, on the other hand, took what Africa gave me and went home with 10 great animals, had the trip of a lifetime and took all the species I hoped to take.

25-Jun-14
BPM has it right with rule #1.

Like Bo-n-aro said check with your taxidermist and broker for any prehunt paper work... Customs power of atterny, ship lables, ect... Best of luck! Dennis

25-Jun-14
Don't spend your entire trip in a blind...

25-Jun-14
Bring bags of chocolate. Everybody will love you for it.

TBB

25-Jun-14
Take a round of tetracycline with you in case you get a dose of tick fever. The tetracycline will knock it right out of you. You don't want to try to tough out tick fever...it's bad!

25-Jun-14
Take more pictures than you will ever think you need and then take some more. It will be awhile before you get to see your trophies again. Take several memory cards and they will bring back many memories that seem to vanish over time. I'm leaving on Monday June 30th for my forth trip over and taking a group of five others bow hunters that have never been. It will be a great trip ExtremeZ7, capture as much as you can on camera.

25-Jun-14
If this is your first trip- throw your "hit list" away and refer to BPM's Rule #1.

You will enjoy just hunting the "box of chocolate" that will come to the waterhole-

Take a good camera and plenty of photos of EVERYTHING.

If you have the time- get Herman to take you to Kruger National Park.

25-Jun-14
Ive only ever been once, but i would agree with everything posted above....that an maybe one peice of advice I learned...dont spark up your cell phone no mater how little you think you are on it haha....unless u have a package or on wifi! That would be my tip! ( dont ask me how I know)

26-Jun-14
Another vote for rule #1!

Forget all the hit list crap, put the tape measure away and have a blast. Soak everything in from the scenery to the culture and enjoy yourself!

26-Jun-14
I would second the don't spend every day in the blind tip. Get out and see everything for a day or two, I wish I had.

26-Jun-14
Thanks all for the tips and great advice. Please keep them coming. Anything I could pass on to my wife to help her out while I'm away all day on our anniversary trip.

My "hit list" is very short ( kudu, gemsbok, zebra, and whatever looks cool coming in). If none of the first three show up ill move to #4 on the list.

@ Dennis Razza its a good thing we talked and I have your shipping labels already. I think I'll be in good hands based on your pics. Haha.

Thanks again gents. Just trying to maximize the experience and learn from all who have been there.

26-Jun-14
have fun!

26-Jun-14
First, and others have said, have fun...Ihunted twice with Ken some years ago, when he was at Dunsappie [which wasn't yesterday!]

Second, get a copy of the 'Perfect Shot' [the pocket book sized version] and get as up to speed as you can with African plains game anatomy and trophy field judging

Third, do try spot and stalk; the wind may not be helpful but it is great sport

Fourth, pack your bow case in an oversize duffel bag [I used a Cabela's] so it doesnt look like a gun case [padlock the zippers]; your bag will already be checked in as 'archery equipment' so shouldnt be any hassle with registererng firearms

Fifth, don't get hussled by porters at Jo'burg airport; it's no distance at all to internal flights to Polokwane

Sixth, have fun

Good luck and good hunting

Kenneth

26-Jun-14
I 2nd the shoot whatever you get a chance to. Nothing worse then coming home with regrets. Sometimes Zebra and Gemsbok can be very difficult.

Relax and have fun!

Have your Doctor give you a script for a broad spectrum antibiotic in case you get sick, a bad cut, etc.

One pin and 20 yards.

Pack light, I have always brought way to much crap.

You don't need high dollar hunting clothing there. I have taken camo from Wal-Mart and things like that and then left it there to make room for goodies. (Guides trackers appreciate it)

Take time to notice the little things like different bugs, lizards, birds, etc

Once again relax and have fun!

26-Jun-14
Shoot lots of birds. It's a blast! A Magnus Bullhead makes it even more fun!

Besides that lots of great advice above. I second the inflatable seat cushion.

26-Jun-14
Most days have nice temperatures, but a stocking cap sure is nice to have on the occasional cold mornings when a cold front is going through, or on the rides in an open vehicle. Light gloves too.

Instead of having one huge memory card for your camera(s), it might be safer to take a few and change them out occasionally, in case one of them fails for some reason. If everything is on one card, you could lose everything if the card became corrupt for some reason.

26-Jun-14
Bowhunting is a great sport and most folks are willing to share our experiences/perspectives.

Can only offer a few things to consider -- these are things that mattered to me in the long run.

1. Noticed that folks who had a small list of desired species and were patient for quality were usually happier at the end of the hunt than those who shot "whatever came in."

2. It isn't a wilderness hunt, so having the perfect gear really won't make a big difference. Consider, but don't agonize over gear choices -- a year after the hunt most won't even remember what socks they brought.

3. The vitals on African game is further forward in the chest cavity -- know where to shoot -- good general rules = A. Broadside shot, come straight up the front leg and about 1/3 of the way up the body. B. Quartered away, aim for the inside of the off shoulder about 1/3 of the way up the body.

4. Lots of pictures and video -- numerous trophy photos from many angles -- of camp and anything unique/interesting -- get to enjoy them forever, and its free!!!

5. Have an idea of how you'll want trophies cared for -- at the skinning shed you'll be asked what type of mount they need to skin it for, and at the end of the hunt what you'll want done with the entire bag. Remember, you'll be looking at them for decades to come.

26-Jun-14

AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
Lots of good advice so far. I would recommend you have a good idea of what to look for with each species you are likely to encounter. Do your research and familiarize yourself with the variations and quality of trophies so that you are not sitting there asking yourself if that is one you should shoot or not. The price of letting that arrow fly dictates that you know your quarry well. You can do this by viewing SCI records, Google Images of species, books and any number of hunting websites.

Also, know in advance what you want as far as mounts are concerned. You need to tell them when they arrive to pick up the animal you shot what exactly you are hoping to do with that trophy. Remember, the operation's skinners need to work on the cape/hide ASAP. It turns out that several African antelope are prone to hair slippage when they are not skinned and salted quickly (think spiral horns). Knowing what you desire ahead of time becomes important since things like this start costing in more ways than money.

Bring a tape measure and remember to take/record proper measurements if possible and as mentioned, talk to your taxidermist first about this. It will definitely help him/her later on do the best job possible.

Having a compact tripod is great to record video and/or stills which you will find yourself occupied with while waiting in the blinds. Don't underestimate the amount of photos and video you might be capturing on any given day and have a way to download what you captured daily so that you can go out each morning with plenty of memory. I also enjoyed taking a pencil and pad to log in each event during the day. It is fun to re-live them later.

Usual temps in RSA are from 30 degrees in the AM to 75 during the afternoons. Having a light fleece, watch-cap and gloves makes sense especially while driving out in the cold AM in the back of an open vehicle...Burrr!

I also recommend bringing a light weight bow case for the rides to/from as it frees your hands for viewing with binos and camera plus holding onto the railings. I remember my friends all having to hold there bows with one hand in the bouncing vehicle and not being able to check things out as well I was.

I differ on the bowcase issue, preferring to house my equipment in as much protection as possible using a SKS wheeled double bow case, which is large enough to contain plenty of gear, arrows, and extra clothes, a soft bowcase, etc. I never have had any real issues quickly collecting my case from JNB. Note: I also have it clearly marked as Archery Equip with Magic Marker.

Bringing gifts and candy etc is ok as long as you know ahead of time that the situation where you are going lends itself to that type of donation. From what I understand and have observed first hand, most of the operation's help is looking for money first and foremost. They usually see plenty of assorted hats, shoes, tee shirts, knives, etc from all the American clients thinking they are bringing them something unique when actually they are pretty routine trinkets. Tipping them in Rand is preferred and can be worked out equitably through your PH.

Keep an open mind about African species that you have never seen in the wild let alone hunted. I almost guarantee that you will be more impressed with something that you initially were not very interested in. As mentioned, let it all unfold and take advantage of the opportunities that present themselves. But also, know what is average vs. exceptional so you are not hesitating when that precious moment occurs.

I would say that an average hunter on a 10 day plains game hunt will need at least 12 arrows and twice as many broadheads. IMO that is a minimum and I usually end up bringing 18 arrows and 24 heads with extra blades, sharpening stones, etc. On my last trip I was spending an average of 16 hours in the field on several days and had little time to work on my shot BHs, so having ready-to-use new replacement blades worked best for me. When I eventually had time I would resharpen and clean what was used to keep ahead of things.

Lighted nocks and a light for your sight are good investments for what you can expect in the dark blinds and if you do some night hunting for predators.

Two sets of hunting clothes are all you will need and having a black top, hat and mask in the blind is the best plan. Bring quiet Camo clothes for any spot and stalk or ambush hunting. Pack lighter than you expected since daily laundry is the norm. Light weight hiking shoes are more than sufficient.

For the budget conscious my advice would be to shoot everything you really want to, as as someone said "it will never be any cheaper in the future". With the costs to get there and do a hunt like this it is more cost-effective to get as many as you can per trip. Who really knows if you will ever be back. At least that is what I was telling myself on my first hunt there.

Africa is an amazing and addicting place to hunt and explore. Try to see beyond the hunt and enjoy the multitude of animal/bird life that will display itself to you if you look. Nowhere in the world is there another set of ecosystems that compares to Africa.

Soon you will be planning your return trips.

The adventure begins!!!

27-Jun-14
Take your own ketchup if you like ketchup. They use just tomato sauce and its not great. I will be taking a bottle of Heinz with us this year

27-Jun-14
forget ketchup just use chutney. Have a great time. Take lots of pics.

27-Jun-14
The one 20 yard pin is good advise if you plan on blind hunting. You really don't need to shoot much father then that.

28-Jun-14
Thanks again all. The eagerness to provide info and help other on this website is awesome.

I will definitely be bring a bottle of ketchup.

I plan to try some spot and stalk so I have pins out to 60.

28-Jun-14
I'll second the recommendation on "Mrs. Balls Chutney".

Regardless of specie, if the PH starts going into convulsions at the sight of it, shoot it!

Take way more pictures than you think you need, think Japanese tourist after a triple-espresso.

Have fun.

28-Jun-14
"think Japanese tourist after a triple-espresso" LMAO

28-Jun-14
Look up the thread titled "things I would do different"

28-Jun-14
Very nice post AZ-rich.

If your biggest concern is the ketchup you must be doing something differently than me while I'm there. Really, come on...

--Jim

29-Jun-14
Personally I found the lighted sight pins to be useless. I tested them on some eland i wasn't going to shoot one evening when I was pretty dark and they saw the light immediately when I raised my bow. I could not even make out pin colors sometimes because it was so dark in the blinds. I could see them fine, but there was no color on the fiber optics.

30-Jun-14
I hunted with Ken a few years ago...great place, Hermann and his family are great people and you will have a great time. My advice: take something comfortable to sit on, books to read...i read two novels in 10 days, take tons of pics and then take more, my biggest regret.... take warm clothes, it gets a little cold in the mornings and evenings. And like everyone has said..HAVE FUN. Ken is a damn funny fella, even for a Kentucky boy.. And leave something on the list to come back for...

01-Jul-14
Wow you guys are picky.

My list:

More $$ than you think More Arrows than you think Have fun and shoot stuff

Done.

02-Jul-14
RELAX!, and have fun. Your PH will put you on the best animals he can. Trust him.

13-Jul-14
Looks like we will be on the same hunt! I went with Ken in 2010 and had a blast. Can't wait to start the adventure again. My wife and another couple are coming along. One of my Wife's favorite vacations, and she doesn't hunt! Everyone there will help you out, and you will have a blast. see you in a few days!

17-Jul-14
Watch and learn [and be amazed] by the local trackers

17-Jul-14
1) Go to your local Salvation Army or Goodwill Industries Resale Shop; 2) Buy the rattiest looking but largest hard sided Samsonite suitcase you can find; If the lock is broke or has no key, so much the better, since you can bargain the price down; It should cost no more than $7 or $8; 3) Next go to Home Depot and purchase a set of locking hasps that will span both sides of the closed suitcase on either end of the top; 4) When you get home, rip out any dividers the suitcase may have; 5) Drill holes to attach the hasps and Krazy Glue the bolts and nuts you use to attached them; 6) Buy FOUR TSA locks, and use two for in-transit and keep two in your carry-on for backup;

If you fly through Jo-Berg with soft sided zippered luggage, you might as well attach a sign that reads "I'm a rich white American please help yourself to my stuff". With a beat up and securely locked old Samsonite, no self respecting native thief will give your bag a glance. Been there, done that.

18-Jul-14
Did you make it home yet? Interested in how your hunt went.

• Sitka Gear