Drahthaar 30-Jul-14
TradbowBob 30-Jul-14
huntnfish808 11-Aug-14
AZ~Rich 12-Aug-14
writer 12-Aug-14
jstephens61 12-Aug-14
AZ~Rich 12-Aug-14
29-Jul-14
Got about 40 days until we leave for African Barefoot Safari. I'm getting me gear piled up for packing. First question is about binos; 6x Leupolds or 12x Bruntons?

29-Jul-14
If your gonna be hunting from the blinds, I would think 6x would be plenty. 12 might be a little much. Take only a few set of clothes, you wont need them. Look up the thread "things I would do different" that I started right after I got back from Africa in 2010. People added a lot of good info.

29-Jul-14
I prefer 10x as you will be constantly viewing game and birds etc through thickets etc.

30-Jul-14
+1 on 10x....I took 10x42s on both of my trips; worth the magnification and light gathering at first and last light AND great for viewing game and birds up close [tho' I didnt need binos to see the rhino I had at four FEET from my canvas pop-up blind]

30-Jul-14
If only selecting between the 2 you mentioned, I would do the 6x myself. Really no need for 12x in any Africa hunt I've ever been on.

Take less than you think you will need. I always over pack!

--Jim

30-Jul-14
if the 12 power are adjustable to focus I would take them. don't forget a soft bow case, it is very dusty. Forrest

30-Jul-14
Don't take fleece, take something with a hard surface. They have a pucker bush there that will make you look like you lost a fight with a porcupine.

The 6x will probably be best if you plan on hunting from the blind. I had 10x Zeiss, but I love them.

Have a great trip.

TBB

11-Aug-14
Just came back from Africa on Friday. I actually under packed from what I had read online.

Bring 10x binos Dont need a tripod for camera PH will film for you camera that can go completely silent. 2 complete sets of camo clothing (I only brought one) Chapstick Ipad with lots of different games/books on it

11-Aug-14
I agree...no need for a tripod, just extra weight and hassle in your bag. Your PH will film your hunt anyway through a shoot window most likely. There is often a lot of moving from one window to the next and back again so a tripod wouldn't work anyway. Just a thought.

12-Aug-14
Thanks for the heads up... I have been bringing this very lightweight tripod on each trip there, but did not use it the last time as they also had an existing camcorder platform/window set in the blind.

I never had a PH with me anytime I've hunted Africa so far. It will be nice to have someone to make the waiting less noticeable and to video the shots.

12-Aug-14
I love it...a guy asks if he should bring his 6X binoculars or his 12X binoculars to Africas and half the time gets the answer "10X". :-)

It's multiple choice. Not fill in the blank.

12-Aug-14
Thanks writer, I thought it was just me ;)

12-Aug-14
Neither the 6x or 12x are an optimal choice IMO. That is why the the 10x kept being mentioned by experienced posters. I think you now have some offered up information which points to something in between such as 8x or 10x for being more ideal here. In many blind situations you are trying to better probe the outer brush all day and your higher power optics will allows you to to pick out key features that you can assess like penis sheaths, horns, sex, numbers, etc.

Honestly, most of the time you will not need glasses in a blind because the game simply materializes out of the thickets or come in unseen from behind the blind to easy bow range. But,if you are stalking you will need some decent glass to probe ahead.

I know I enjoy using my 10x Leicas to probe the outer bush for movements which gives me a little extra time to get prepared for any shot and to check out in more detail the trophy quality plus all the cool birds and animals you will no doubt be wanting to view up close.

If those two are still your only choices even after getting some experienced input, you should go with the 6x and have a great time hunting with Reon! Tell him I said hello. I leave on Monday!

• Sitka Gear