sureshot 04-Sep-14
drycreek 04-Sep-14
Toby 05-Sep-14
wild1 05-Sep-14
hyrax 05-Sep-14
LBG Safaris 07-Nov-14
loprofile 07-Nov-14
14-Aug-14
I was thinking in a leopard hunt with my bow, and start hearing different versions regarding increase your success opportunities baiting or using dogs. What do you think or know about this?

14-Aug-14
Talk to BigPizzaMan he has a good bit of experience with leopard hunts.

15-Aug-14
I'm not sure if dogs are legal anywhere anymore but if they where I would consider a hunt with dogs and if they are legal let me know I'll go with!!! That was my dream for years to hunt leopard with hounds but couldnt afford it then and then they banned it so I quit dreaming of it.

Aaron

15-Aug-14
I don't think you want to hunt leopard with dogs using a bow. Most of what I have read leads me to believe that there is a dang good chance of the hunt ending in a charge. Seems that agitated leopards do not like to bay like cougars. If they are in a tree and see you, they may very well come for you. They also like to run and hide in caves.

Baiting would be the best chance and you could "up the odds" of getting a shot if you hunt where a light can be used at night. The shot would be at a stationary target at a known distance.

... but what the hell do I know???

Hopefully BigPizzaMan will chime in.

15-Aug-14
Toby,

IMO baiting will be the way to go. Not even sure if you could find a hound guy that would hunt an Archer. I also think Zimbabwe and South Africa would be your destinations of choice. Namibia has some great Leopard hunting but a Bow Permit is next to impossible to get. If you're serious I can point you in the right direction.

18-Aug-14
Hound hunting is still allowed in Zimbabwe I have a friend with a lot of experience doing just that. PM me if you want his information.

18-Aug-14
Yep Zim is still good for hounds and people say it's the most intense hunt imaginable.... But not exactly best situation for a bowhunter

04-Sep-14
thank you guys

04-Sep-14
great cat Pat!!!! who was your guide?

04-Sep-14

Bou'bound's Link
Here is the link to Pat's leopard hunt.

Check out days 9 and 10.

INTENSE.

04-Sep-14
I am not an expert but I did have a deposit in with Dries for 3 years and he couldn't draw a tag. If you want to hunt in South Africa get a deposit in quickly. Zimbabwe will be quicker if you can deal with the political BS. BPM and Pat are the people to talk with.

04-Sep-14
Boy's, from what I've read, no first hand experience, a leopard turns malicious once wounded or irritated. And while any of the other big five will easily get after you when in the same situation, it is a basic given, the hunter becomes the hunted when dealing with a leopard that has been wounded or agitated. Good luck and God Bless

04-Sep-14
That is the first time reading Pat's hunt, intense to say the least.

04-Sep-14
I read somewhere once that, in Africa, the animal most likely to kill you was a buffalo, but you were more likely to be mauled by a leopard.

Saw a hunting show once where they were chasing leopards with dogs and the leopard went into a crevice in the rocks. Guy goes up, sticks a handgun in, and shoots the leopard. Leopard comes out and raises total hell on the shooter. Bloody damn mess ! Didn't kill him, but mauled the hell out of him. Don't think I want me any of that.

05-Sep-14
Bliz6 hard to believe that DVS canĀ“t get a tag seems like nowadays hunting a leopard is very difficult, not only for the hunt, but for the tag

05-Sep-14
(sorry for the hijack)

The African animal (of the huntable species) most likely to kill you, would be the hippo. Non-huntable, would be the puff adder and mosquito (malaria).

Leopard hunting would be a rush!

05-Sep-14
Pat nearly falls to death while scaling the sheer face of a cliff on a goat hunt, gets charged by a bow shot grizz in BC, gets cozy with a Black Mamba in a water hole blind in Africa, shoots an African lion from a few feet away, nearly gets ambushed by a momma cape buffalo in the razor grass and almost trampled by a the herd of buff in Mozambique, but he thinks hunting leopard is the most dangerous!!

That's sayin' something right there.

07-Nov-14
Hi Toby

I am a Professional hunter and Outfitter in SA. To make things clear I am not offering you a hunt or anything in that matter, only good advice.

Namibia: I think Bow hunting is legal but over hounds it is illegal. South Africa: Bow Hunting as well as Hounds are illegal. Zimbabwe and Mozambique will be your preferred hunting destination. It is legal to hunt with Bow as well as using hounds to bay a potential trophy cat.

Good luck I hope you find someone to assist you, there are plenty Outfitters that operate in those countries and specialize in what you are looking for.

07-Nov-14
I understand that Out of Africa Adventurous Safaris is running specials on combo leopard/rhino hunts. No season /no limits.

• Sitka Gear