Beendare 18-Aug-14
PAstringking 18-Aug-14
dj 18-Aug-14
MBMule 18-Aug-14
Txnrog 19-Aug-14
18-Aug-14

dj's embedded Photo
dj's embedded Photo
First off, I want to thank everyone that had good constructive input on my gear selection prior to our buff hunt to Aussie land. I followed the now defunct elephant thread and a couple others regarding gear selection for dangerous game hunts to prepare for this hunt which is a precursor to a hunt in 2015 for Cape Buffalo in Mozambique for which deposits have already been placed.

Our hunt was a fabulous success. I took a gnarley old warrior of a bull that measured just over the magic 100 inch mark.

He succumbed to one arrow on a slightly angling away shot that entered about the third rib back and lodged into the offside shoulder. The arrow was completely inside the animal and was lodged so tightly in the bone I could not pull it out. We cut away ribs to expose the fletch end of the shaft but neither the guide nor myself could budge it.

18-Aug-14
I shot A Bowtech RPM 360 at 74 pounds. Arrows were Easton FMJ Dangerous Game Shafts, Blazer Vanes with helical mounting, stainless steel footing of the shaft, and German Kinetics 180 grain heads (from Germany). The complete arrow weigh 804 grains and pushed along at 219 fps.

What I learned was that with correct arrow placement this setup should work nicely on a Cape.

18-Aug-14
Wow great Buff. Congrats to you!!

Can I ask what your set up was?

18-Aug-14

dj's embedded Photo
dj's embedded Photo
Also, something that I already knew but failed to performed on was reinforced by a not so stellar shot on a scrub bull!

After a long stalk and pretty extensive belly crawl my guide and self closed the distance to six bedded scrubs. We had the wind but there were too many sets of eyes, and with doing our best boa constrictor crawl, there was no way to do it silently through the dry leaves so the animals were alert to a presence that they could not identify. Finally one of the bulls stood for a better view adding pressure to the tense situation. Finally at 39 yards the target bull stood slightly quartering to me...I rose to me knees and drew waiting for him to turn. The first bull, already standing started to move away, the target bull turned his head to look at his buddy and I dumped the trigger hitting him square in the point of the shoulder.

Lesson learned, focus, focus, focus, and don't get distracted...what would have gone down if this scrub had been that Cape next year.

Second lesson, no matter how much you research your equipment and try to purchase the best there is, it can fail.

18-Aug-14
The arrow got zero penetration! The aluminum ferrule snapped.

Now I am questioning broadhead selection for the cape hunt? I still think the GK will perform with the right arrow placement, but as we all know, things don't always go perfectly as hard as we try to be perfect.

I failed in perfect execution of shot, and the head failed in heavy bone.

Now I throw myself and the equipment to the wolves to see what we can digest in further preparing for next June.

18-Aug-14
Great water Buff. I would imagine that most any arrow and broadhead compbo will not perform/penetrate if you hit one of those big critters on the shoulder bone. That is a big boned animal.

18-Aug-14
DJ,

Take a look at Abowyer or Tuffhead broadheads. You will end up heavier but they will not fail.

Who did you hunt buffalo with?

18-Aug-14
Congrats! I was chuckling about your comment that you couldn't get the arrow out.

We had the same situation...in fact I was doing testing on some dead buffs and the only arrows I could pull were the light 434gr...

We did have a few complete pass throughs with the very heavy 840gr arrows- so we got those

18-Aug-14
great bull. Congrats on your hunt.

18-Aug-14
Shrewski, I hunted with George Stewart @ Conways Cattle Station/ Leithen Valley Outfitters.

18-Aug-14
dj,

Congrats on your water buffalo! You could look at VPA broadheads. Very solid construction, solid steel. I have never and will never trust aluminum ferrules. The VPA's are machined from a solid piece of steel and I've had very good success with them. I've had them punch through heavy bone on many big game animals (albeit, not quite as big as what you have been and will be hunting). When I go for Cape Buffalo in 2017, I will be shooting VPA's. I believe they're a Bowsite sponsor, but don't quote me on that. I know the owner is a Bowsite member (Rayzor) and he quite often offers shipping deals for Bowsite members.

19-Aug-14
Congrats on the great buff! That's a whopper. Tuff heads did the trick for me, but honestly would have gone with VPAs if I could have gotten a steel screw-in insert for my arrows in time - I don't trust aluminum for any terminal components other than footing. As it was I had steel inserts that went about 2 inches back into the arrow, so it acted like an internal footing. No issues on my buff or post mortem test shots.

• Sitka Gear