500 - Internal server error.

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

Movie, "The Giver" and elephant hunting
onX Maps
Movie, "The Giver" and elephant hunting
International
Contributors to this thread:
INbowdude 06-Sep-14
Bou'bound 06-Sep-14
Truckie 06-Sep-14
Ken Moody 06-Sep-14
sundowner 06-Sep-14
Bou'bound 06-Sep-14
writer 06-Sep-14
Ken Moody 06-Sep-14
Bou'bound 06-Sep-14
Bou'bound 06-Sep-14
Pacificswim 04-Feb-15
IdyllwildArcher 04-Feb-15
kota-man 04-Feb-15
deerslayer 04-Feb-15
Bigpizzaman 04-Feb-15
midwest 04-Feb-15
Fuzzy 04-Feb-15
Fuzzy 04-Feb-15
Bigpizzaman 04-Feb-15
Fuzzy 04-Feb-15
Pacificswim 04-Feb-15
Bou'bound 04-Feb-15
Bigpizzaman 04-Feb-15
Medicinemann 04-Feb-15
Medicinemann 04-Feb-15
wild1 04-Feb-15
drycreek 04-Feb-15
Pacificswim 04-Feb-15
IdyllwildArcher 04-Feb-15
kota-man 04-Feb-15
TD 04-Feb-15
writer 04-Feb-15
deerslayer 04-Feb-15
INbowdude 04-Feb-15
drycreek 04-Feb-15
TurkeyBowMaster 04-Feb-15
Medicinemann 05-Feb-15
Nick Muche 05-Feb-15
Barty1970 05-Feb-15
INbowdude 05-Feb-15
Bigpizzaman 05-Feb-15
midwest 05-Feb-15
Owl 05-Feb-15
writer 05-Feb-15
TD 05-Feb-15
TD 05-Feb-15
06-Sep-14
A bit of a rant and a spoiler alert. I went to see the movie "The Giver" last night at the local theater. All-in-all it wasn't bad except when the "Giver" shares a memory with his apprentice. The memory was about hunting elephants and was associated with pain or disgusting behavior (I can't remember the exact emotion).

Well I have to say I was offended that they were showing elephants shot with rifles in such a poor light. Yeah, I realize it was Hollywood and they are no fan of hunting but it sure did make the hunting of elephants look bad. Even mentioned ivory weight.

I know Jake and Pat were trying to get an elephant hunt together and SCI is working on re-establishing some hunts and the importation of legally harvested ivory but it just pissed me off that this clip was so negative.

Okay rant over just had to get that off my chest. I would not see that movie again nor recommend it to my hunting buddies (actually everybody).

06-Sep-14
Even as a hunter it is tough to watch elephants killed with a gun. They all happen the same way......the guys walk/stalk up to within 20 yards.........multiple guys have guns trained on this beast........ the elephant turns to face the hunters.............and is shot at point blank range in the skull. the dust puffs off the skin at the bullet strike in the forehead and this massive 60 years old monster falls in a heap. does not look hard. does not look challenging. does not look like the thing had a chance. does look dangerous.

it will never look good. may be necessary from a management perspective, that's fine, but optically it is a PR nightmare.

06-Sep-14
It's been a couple weeks since we saw it butt I remember that part as well. When I thought about it though I think they were trying to portray poaching elephants rather then just hunting them. That's how I took it but I could be wrong. Because of the state of our country and how our government is trying to push us into a nanny state I felt they did a good job to warn us of what could be to come if we keep going down the road of Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.

06-Sep-14
Elephant hunting "knowledge" garnered from TV viewing is akin to the same surgical skills that might be acquired after watching an episode of MASH. Hunting elephant is very difficult and extremely demanding physically. An average of 12 miles on foot per day is the norm. The walking, mosquitoes, tetse flies, thorns, blood and sweat make it an adventure worthy of the effort. The final dispatch of the beast is extremely climatic as, contrary to the perfectly placed kill shots depicted on TV, there's a high percentage of a chance that a close encounter involving huge tonnage will occur.

06-Sep-14
Bou'bound X2!

06-Sep-14
The problem ken is there is not an anti-surgery movement afoot.

06-Sep-14
Thanks, Ken.

I have buddy's who swear it some of the hardest, most dangerous hunting they've done. Never done it, don't really have a desire to shoot an elephant, but I'd love to tag along with someone who is.

Bou, you're changing your tune. Just above Ken you ranted against it.

Would it be better if they stood off and shot them through the lungs at 200 yards?

Cant say as a lot of my bowkills looked really challenging...sit it tree, shoot deer at 10 yards with an arrow. Looks easy, and not exciting...until you've done it.

Elephants, and bears and lions, are one of "those" species you'll hardly ever get support for hunting.

Difference is, how much meat does that elephant put into local bellies in really poor areas?

How much money does that elephant permit and hunts put into third-world economies?

06-Sep-14
There may be if anyone watches too much of "The Knick." TV shows do not reflect real hunting whether its elephant or anything else. It may be tough to watch a 10 minute edited video synopsis of an actual elephant hunt but I assure you it is not tough at all to witness the demise of such a magnificent animal if it has been properly hunted.

06-Sep-14
Amen

06-Sep-14
Amen ken

Writer i did not rant against it I said it was a pr nightmare on tv. I stand by that. Sounds like ken does as well.

04-Feb-15

Error Occurred While Processing Request The web site you are accessing has experienced an unexpected error.
Please contact the website administrator.

The following information is meant for the website developer for debugging purposes.
Error Occurred While Processing Request

Could not find the included template ThreadOwnerRemovedReplacetText.cfm.

Note: If you wish to use an absolute template path (for example, template="/mypath/index.cfm") with CFINCLUDE, you must create a mapping for the path using the ColdFusion Administrator. Or, you can use per-application settings to specify mappings specific to this application by specifying a mappings struct to THIS.mappings in Application.cfc.
Using relative paths (for example, template="index.cfm" or template="../index.cfm") does not require the creation of any special mappings. It is therefore recommended that you use relative paths with CFINCLUDE whenever possible.

The error occurred in D:\Bowsite\BOWSITE\tf\bgforums\thread.cfm: line 1058
Called from D:\Bowsite\BOWSITE\tf\bgforums\thread.cfm: line 476
Called from D:\Bowsite\BOWSITE\tf\bgforums\thread.cfm: line 1
1056 : <h3>Blocked By Thread Owner</h3>
1057 : <P>#ParagraphFormat(Body)#</P>
1058 : <cfelseif (ThreadOwnerRemove)eq 1><cfinclude template="ThreadOwnerRemovedReplacetText.cfm">
1059 : 
1060 : <cfelse>

Resources:

Browser   claudebot
Remote Address   172.70.134.143
Referrer   http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?forum=18&threadid=434910&MESSAGES=47&FF=18
Date/Time   28-Mar-24 07:08 AM
Stack Trace
at cfthread2ecfm1423711020._factor13(D:\Bowsite\BOWSITE\tf\bgforums\thread.cfm:1058) at cfthread2ecfm1423711020._factor14(D:\Bowsite\BOWSITE\tf\bgforums\thread.cfm:476) at cfthread2ecfm1423711020.runPage(D:\Bowsite\BOWSITE\tf\bgforums\thread.cfm:1)

coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag$NoSuchIncludeTemplateException: Could not find the included template ThreadOwnerRemovedReplacetText.cfm.
	at coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag.setTemplate(IncludeTag.java:349)
	at cfthread2ecfm1423711020._factor13(D:\Bowsite\BOWSITE\tf\bgforums\thread.cfm:1058)
	at cfthread2ecfm1423711020._factor14(D:\Bowsite\BOWSITE\tf\bgforums\thread.cfm:476)
	at cfthread2ecfm1423711020.runPage(D:\Bowsite\BOWSITE\tf\bgforums\thread.cfm:1)
	at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage.invoke(CfJspPage.java:231)
	at coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag.doStartTag(IncludeTag.java:416)
	at coldfusion.filter.CfincludeFilter.invoke(CfincludeFilter.java:65)
	at coldfusion.filter.ApplicationFilter.invoke(ApplicationFilter.java:363)
	at coldfusion.filter.RequestMonitorFilter.invoke(RequestMonitorFilter.java:48)
	at coldfusion.filter.MonitoringFilter.invoke(MonitoringFilter.java:40)
	at coldfusion.filter.PathFilter.invoke(PathFilter.java:87)
	at coldfusion.filter.ExceptionFilter.invoke(ExceptionFilter.java:70)
	at coldfusion.filter.ClientScopePersistenceFilter.invoke(ClientScopePersistenceFilter.java:28)
	at coldfusion.filter.BrowserFilter.invoke(BrowserFilter.java:38)
	at coldfusion.filter.NoCacheFilter.invoke(NoCacheFilter.java:46)
	at coldfusion.filter.GlobalsFilter.invoke(GlobalsFilter.java:38)
	at coldfusion.filter.DatasourceFilter.invoke(DatasourceFilter.java:22)
	at coldfusion.filter.CachingFilter.invoke(CachingFilter.java:53)
	at coldfusion.CfmServlet.service(CfmServlet.java:200)
	at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapServlet.service(BootstrapServlet.java:89)
	at jrun.servlet.FilterChain.doFilter(FilterChain.java:86)
	at coldfusion.monitor.event.MonitoringServletFilter.doFilter(MonitoringServletFilter.java:42)
	at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapFilter.doFilter(BootstrapFilter.java:46)
	at jrun.servlet.FilterChain.doFilter(FilterChain.java:94)
	at jrun.servlet.FilterChain.service(FilterChain.java:101)
	at jrun.servlet.ServletInvoker.invoke(ServletInvoker.java:106)
	at jrun.servlet.JRunInvokerChain.invokeNext(JRunInvokerChain.java:42)
	at jrun.servlet.JRunRequestDispatcher.invoke(JRunRequestDispatcher.java:286)
	at jrun.servlet.ServletEngineService.dispatch(ServletEngineService.java:543)
	at jrun.servlet.jrpp.JRunProxyService.invokeRunnable(JRunProxyService.java:203)
	at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$DownstreamMetrics.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:320)
	at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$ThreadThrottle.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:428)
	at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$UpstreamMetrics.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:266)
	at jrunx.scheduler.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread.java:66)