writer 25-Sep-14
Ken Moody 25-Sep-14
scndwfstlhntng 25-Sep-14
T Mac 25-Sep-14
tseward 10-Oct-14
25-Sep-14

scndwfstlhntng's embedded Photo
At the end of July and in the dark of the moon, I took my fourth trip to Africa and my second to Namibia. I again lived and hunted with Antonie Louw (Makalaan) and his family, and stayed for two weeks

Namibia is a peaceful, safe, very dry place that takes two flights and more than a day to get to but absolutely worth the investment. It is closely attached to South Africa geographically and politically but also very different as a hunting destination. From that point of view the average property is larger, less manipulated, and Namibia is long known as a great location for hunting the indigenous large plains game species like kudu, gemsbok, and eland. There are fewer species overall to hunt compared to South Africa, but much greater chance that you will be hunting game born and raised on the location that you hunt, and not be one of a conveyor belt of hunters.

The people of Namibia are friendly and " very real". It is a country twice the size of California, and with a population of 2 million is pretty sparsely populated. This translates into vast areas that are unspoiled by light, noise, or air pollution. The night skies are beyond remarkable.

This being my second trip to Makalaan, having a relatively small house with limited places for taxidermy, and having had the great pleasure of killing (what I consider) the glamour species last visit (kudu, gemsbok, eland), I think that I spent far more time waiting for an outstanding example of those, or more realistically a chance at game species that I had not already taken. More than that, I enjoyed more than I can put into words the chance to spend 10 hours a day communing with nature. The bird life in Namibia is worth the entire trip. If you think there is bird life where you live, I suggest you take a trip to Namibia. I have been in many places(including Latin America) that bragged about their wildlife but can't compare. During the day it can be cacophonous, and even at night the animals and birds will keep you amazed and wondering. Lying in bed at night one was still able to hear not only the birds, but the talk of the blue wildebeest and the waterbuck as they came to the (very) nearby waterhole and wandered around my bungalow.

The hospitality at Makalaan, is as if you were at your Grandparents' home ( only implying that you feel comfortable, relaxed, every reasonable need addressed , and better than being "home"). Antonie and Melinda Louw are just great hosts, and Antonie is as knowledgeable and helpful as a man (and PH) could be.

I had a great 2 weeks, and if it is the cards I will go back to Namibia and enjoy it again. I will add a few pictures for you viewing pleasure. If anyone would like to get some info about Makalaan or just about Namibia please feel free to PM me. I am certainly not an expert but happy to share my experiences with you . Steve

25-Sep-14

Impala. I didn't plan on this as I already had two mounted, but there he was. What could a guy do? He asked for it.

Please pay particular attention to the shirt.

25-Sep-14

Blue wildebeest.(actually one of two) This was particularly gratifying, as it was such a big animal and one naturally has concerns about the effectiveness of a simple bow and arrow (stick and string). The experience once again proved the point: location, location, location. As on each of the other animals, the arrow hit angling forward and exited low at the offside shoulder, taking out the lungs for a quick kill.

My equipment was the same as I shot five years ago on my first trip. At five years older, it took me a while to rebuild up to comfortably shooting this bow. Didn't seem as difficult five years ago.

Wes Wallace Royal longbow at 57# Elite cedar arrows Magnus II two blade broadheads

Steve

25-Sep-14
Nice animals!

25-Sep-14
Nice trophies there. Great write up of your adventure. Namibia is a very need place to hunt and visit. Super people there.

Thanks for sharing

25-Sep-14
Looks like a fabulous trip! Congratulations on your terrific success. Very cool!

25-Sep-14
Sounds like a great trip. My first SA trip is coming up next year. I may have to check out Namibia for a subsequent trip. Thanks for the write up.

25-Sep-14
Great to see your successes! Really nice impala and can see why you need a third. Someday I hope to include Namibia on a hunt. Rich

25-Sep-14
I am hoping to pull of Namibia sooner rather than later. There is just something about hunting Africa that continues to pull at anyone that has ever been. Congrats on some great trophies and especially that Impala. I would love to shoot a giant Impala.

25-Sep-14
Great trophies, enjoyed the write up. thanks for sharing. Forrest

25-Sep-14
Thanks for the write-up and report, Steven.

I'm trying to decide between Namibia and South Africa for 2016. You're making that decision a little easier.

Hadn't thought about the phase of the moon.

25-Sep-14
What's your setup? Bow make, model, poundage? Arrow weight and broadhead type? Good job with the longbow.

25-Sep-14
Wes Wallace Royal longbow at 57#

Elite cedar arrows Magnus II two blade broadheads 125gr

25-Sep-14
Great write up and trophies Congrats!

10-Oct-14
Thanks for sharing! Went to SA in 2010 with the recurve and loved every minute of it...You now have me itching to try out Namibia!

Troy

• Sitka Gear