Bill Obeid 13-Feb-15
Bill Obeid 13-Feb-15
t-roy 13-Feb-15
Bill Obeid 13-Feb-15
scndwfstlhntng 14-Feb-15
t-roy 16-Feb-15
AZ~Rich 16-Feb-15
12-Feb-15
My wife & I are headed to S. Africa (Limpopo Region) in July. We both enjoy birdwatching. I am looking for suggestions for a good bird or bird/animal identification manual for the region. If anyone has a good one they would like to sell, I would be interested in buying one as well....Thanks

12-Feb-15
Troy,

There is a publication called " Find It ".

It is published by Jacana. Not only does it have all the South African birds, but plants, mammals , and amphibians.

If it doesn't come up in a google search, try looking around the Kruger National Park website.

Also includes a little history and ecozones of the park.

12-Feb-15
would be a cool thing to have

12-Feb-15
Yup . Too cool to part with the one I have.

But, they are in 8x11.5" pamphlet form and very reasonably priced.

12-Feb-15
Thanks Bill

Is is a bunch of loose pamphlets or in a binder? Haven't had any luck on it so far.

Any other suggestions?

12-Feb-15
t-roy

Please keep us posted. I'm planning on going in 2016 and it would drive me nuts having so may great birds, and not having a clue as to what they are.

12-Feb-15
Look on Amazon.com Birds of South Africa- Several choices and prices to chose from.

12-Feb-15
Buffalo1

I have looked at them there plus on ebay as well. I am interested in possibly getting some feedback from someone on a book that they were impressed with the details/illustrations, etc. that they would recommend.

I have several field guide books for N. American birds & some are way more informative than others. The price didn't always reflect better or more info either.

12-Feb-15
You mean Sibley's doesn't have an African Field Guide?

13-Feb-15
It's one soft sided publication , about magazine size.

I'll try and research it for you. It is a must have.

13-Feb-15
jacana.co.za will take you to the home page of Jacana Media.

If you enter " Find It Guide " into the book search window you will be directed to it. Click on the picture ( it's a wild dog on the cover)and it directs you to a buy now button.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to buy one. It directed me back to the Homepage. I would use the "contact us" at the top of the page for assistance.

It's worth the trouble.

13-Feb-15
When you get to the "buy now" button..........scroll to the bottom of the page. You'll find a secure shopping window. Click it and you can fill out an application to shop on site with your visa card.

the guide is 130 Rand.....about 13 dollars US

13-Feb-15
Thanks for your help Bill!

13-Feb-15
If you can't secure one , let me know, I'll send you mine.

14-Feb-15
Birds of Southern Africa Ian Sinclair Princeton Field Guides

dense and well illustrated. for a 6x8x1 inch book it is heavy.

The first time I went over, I had books and books of field guides and they weighed a lot and took up valuable space. I found that I used them a lot less than I had expected AND they had some at the places that I went. SO, be very discerning about what it is that you think that you will really use AND check to see if they already have them at the place that you will be staying.

16-Feb-15
scndwfstlhntng,

I just ordered that book. It sounds like what I am looking for. Compact, yet full of of good info & photos. Still checking into the info that Bill gave me as well.

Thanks all!

16-Feb-15
I picked up a good one in JNB airport " Pocket Guide to Birds of South Africa" by Burger Cillie and Ulrich Oberprieler. Nice photos of and small size (4"x 7"x 3/8") Sunbird Publishers out of Capetown.

• Sitka Gear