Frenchman 27-Mar-15
rdohn 27-Mar-15
AZ~Rich 27-Mar-15
MBUYU SAFARIS 27-Mar-15
hogdaddy 05-Apr-15
orionsbrother 05-Apr-15
hogdaddy 17-Apr-15
25-Mar-15
I just won a 10 day trip with Choronga Safaris in South Africa at an SCI banquet. I will not say how much I paid because I don’t want you getting jealous. Okay, yes I will. It is a 10 day hunt for 2 archery hunters for a whooping $500/hunter. This includes a $2k animal credit per hunter….HECK YEAH BABY!!

Okay, here is the first group of many questions I need help with.

1) Has anyone from Bowsite hunted with Choronga Safaris within the last 2 years? If so, can you send me a PM so I can call you with additional questions.

2)What is the best time of year to hunt south Africa for Kudu and Gemsbuck?

3)I hope to bring home 3-4 animals. What is the dipping, salting and crating fees for 3-4 animals (Assuming they are Kudu, Gemsbuck, Zebra rug and Eland)?

Thanks for all your help.

25-Mar-15
I have not hunted with them but know them well and have friends that have hunted with them. They are quite simply some of the nicest people there are. Very classy. It is a top notch operation. Congratulations!

25-Mar-15
Realistic pricing to get 4 trophies back to the states should be between $1,100- $1,400 depending on who they use.

26-Mar-15

AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
I hunted with Evan in 2011 and had a blast. Kudu bulls are still rutting in late June but they should be just as easily hunted anytime in July, Aug or Sept. It should also not matter when for Gemsbok, except most females will be pretty pregnant in July/August/Sept. He will do whatever it takes to get you into hunting what you're looking for. Nearly everyday of my hunt, he and I drove almost an hour to a property along the Limpopo to hunt Bushbuck at dawn. Sometimes we did not get back until almost 10 at night! He is a professional and his crew is great. You will have the time of your life and don't be so set on just four animals. Be flexible since it sounds like your first time over. Also, if you possibly can, arrange with Evan and Mia to take you to Kruger after your hunt for couple days. He knows the park well and will be an excellent guide & driver for you. Plus, they will set up all the lodging, meals, etc for you at a reasonable price. After Kruger they will drop you all off at the airport. You need to talk to Evan to plan your species and listen to what he has that is unusual for the area such as trophy springbok. You will have fun no doubt!

26-Mar-15
AZ - did you hunt 2x1? What were the stands like? How many people were in camp? Thanks for your time.

26-Mar-15
I went to the RSA in early September and it was dry, dry, dry. Buddy hunted waterholes and saw a ridiculous amount of animals. Temps were in the mid 70s.

You might want to ask what the cost would be for an additional PH so that you can hunt 1x1. I had a similar arrangement and it was only a few hundred dollars more (we split the cost). It was well worth it.

26-Mar-15
If you bought that hunt last Saturday night, I bought the same hunt 2 years ago. I hunted last August and had the time of my life. I'll PM you my phone number.

27-Mar-15

JAGER's embedded Photo
JAGER's embedded Photo
Some of the critters I harvested there. plus sights at Kruger

27-Mar-15

JAGER's embedded Photo
JAGER's embedded Photo
sorry first time posting pictures

27-Mar-15

JAGER's embedded Photo
JAGER's embedded Photo

27-Mar-15
Those are really nice animals. We're you hunting in a ground blind or stands.

27-Mar-15
I'll give you $550 if you let me be the second hunter! :) - pleeeeeeeeeease????

27-Mar-15
Me and the wife went for 10 days September 2014 for $3150 with $3000 of that going to trophy fees. Your PH will want you shooting at any animal that is a good representative. Take a lot of extra cash. I went first week of September which is the end of their season which was late for Archery. The outfitter said Archery on his concession is best June and July. 7 animals horns, capes and back skins dipped, crated and then shipped by cooper smith to Atlanta Georgia including import fees was $2150. You can save money if you choose to not do the back skins. Good Luck Have Fun!!

27-Mar-15

AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
Evan will likely pair you in the hide with a PH since it is your first time and they can better tell you what is trophy vs average, male vs female, etc. I would still do a lot of homework online to familiarize yourself with what you are likely to encounter and what constitutes trophy class. For example, Kudu are not so easily judged by hunters who have not had plenty of experience viewing hundreds of bulls. Your PH will be able in most cases to call it within an inch or so. If you are experienced in bowhunting over there, Evan will let you sit solo in your blind or"hide". Personally, I would rather have it happen that way. His pit hides are very well thought out and are extremely sound proof,scent proof and the seatin is comfortable. They all have a one-way smoked plexiglass surround at ground level which allows you to see what is coming from both sides. These are some of the best constructed blinds I have seen or used in Africa. Evan will only book a group at a time so you have the whole camp to yourselves. We had four hunters, two of which were new to Africa and had an assigned PH with them everyday. Many days of my hunt Evan and I went off to chase Bushbuck at a farm on the Limpopo. So if it is something more specialized like Bushbuck, Sable or Nyala, you will have a PH with you and it will be hunted on ano

ther property withing reasonable driving distance. At Evan's farm/camp he has huntable populations of Eland, Kudu, Waterbuck, Springbok, blesbok, Impala, Blue and Black Widebeest, Bush duiker, Steenbok, Warthog, Zebra, Giraffe, Ostrich and some Gemsbok. I did not see any Red Hartebeest, Bushbuck, Sable, Nyala, Buffulo, Tsessebe , bushpig or baboons on his property but he has access to properties that do. Choronga's camp is very comfortable and relaxing; the food is extra special, and his staff and Mia are extremely accommodating and professional. Plus they have internet service (sometimes) :~)

27-Mar-15
VERY GOOD OPERATION,YOU WON'T REGRET IT. CONGRATS.

05-Apr-15
hunted with them in 2008, 13 days 15 animals. have hunted five different concessions and agree his blinds are the bomb.

05-Apr-15
$500?!? OK. I'm jealous. Very jealous. I still wish you a great hunt. Only a little begrudgingly. ??

Please post up pictures from your hunt so we can kick ourselves again.

17-Apr-15
another thing i liked about them is that all waterholes are dirt tanks and no feed is put out at blinds. makes for great video.

• Sitka Gear