Pete In Fairbanks 16-May-15
Buffalo1 16-May-15
AZ~Rich 16-May-15
Drahthaar 16-May-15
Buffalo1 16-May-15
StickFlicker 31-Aug-15
Buffalo1 31-Aug-15
14-May-15
Looking for some information on how to field judge a black wildebeest. What qualities or characteristics do I need to look for in determining where a bull is trophy class grade or not. Photos and measurement scores are welcomed.

15-May-15
Mass of bosses and length of horns sums it up. Good place to start is on the SCI website looking through the top ten in their records. Many have posted pics of their trophies which is allowed for top ten animals.

15-May-15

Txnrog's embedded Photo
Txnrog's embedded Photo
Bosses near touching. Drop below mid-eye, tips above bosses (when looking straight at you). Last thing is the height of the boss above the forehead/ridge at the base that's what really sets a mature trophy apart from a nice younger one - I am looking at the smaller of the two I have shot (pictured - think the larger is in my trophy photos on here) and there's about 2 - 2.5 of boss of boss above the hairline.

15-May-15

Txnrog's embedded Photo
Txnrog's embedded Photo
Many years and about as many lbs ago - little better bull and different shape. More defined bosses, and a bit more swoop to the horns - older bull than the first.

15-May-15

JTreeman's embedded Photo
JTreeman's embedded Photo
I don't really know, I think they Are really tough to judge! Here is the one I shot, I was pleased with him, but I don't think it's a giant.

--Jim

15-May-15

huntmaster's embedded Photo
huntmaster's embedded Photo
Here's mine. My PH said this was the best one of the herd, so I shot it... I found that if the PH's got excited about an animal, I better shoot it!

For reference, my PH measured him at 81 6/8 and gold medal is 79 5/8.

15-May-15

AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
This is the SCI measurement method specifically for Black Wildebeest. The Mass of boss at bases will be a big determinant in the one Boss measurement but with mass carried out to horn length it will add to the overall length measurement. The more space between Bosses will also add to this overall length. Hope it helps.

15-May-15
After reading the post to this thread and personal research, this is what I glean as being the qualities to look for in a trophy bull. I appreciate the feedback and the photos. I have spent a good bit of time of the SCI website looking at photos as suggested. From my research and bowsite input this is what I glean as the qualities of a quality bull:

1. Good bosses with wide space between the bosses 2. Bottom of horn curl is below the eye 3. Horn tips are well above the bosses 4. Black face (just like a mature blue wilde)

Am I on track?

16-May-15
Close!

As for #1, wide bosses with LITTLE space between them.

16-May-15
Close!

As for #1, wide bosses with LITTLE space between them.

16-May-15
Gotcha Pete. I understand. Tks

16-May-15
It's really not too clear whether having little space between bosses is indicative of being bigger or not, and here is why.

The Base (boss) width measurement (C-C) is independent of that space. With very large heavy bosses it might reduce that space in between them, but there are also natural variations like anything in nature and the B to B measurement being wider on an individual bull will in fact add to its overall tip to tip measurement. It really depends on both the outright mass of the boss and the natural inclination of that individual to have bosses which are set wider apart on the skull. The wider they are set apart, the better it scores for overall tip to tip length. So, having more space in between can also mean it might have longer tip to tip.

Don"t worry about this too much, just study enough photos so that you are confident that you know what "big" looks like and just hope you get the chance at one in that category.

Where will you be hunting them and by what method?

16-May-15
If the PH say shoot , shoot. Forrest

16-May-15
AZ-Rich

Hunting in Namibia over waterholes.

31-Aug-15

StickFlicker's embedded Photo
StickFlicker's embedded Photo
Sorry, I was looking at this thread from earlier this year and wondered of Buffalo1 went on this hunt yet and how he did for this species?

It is my understanding that Black Wildebeest don't normally occur in Namibia, that they are a native of South Africa only? Were they transplanted to where you're hunting?

According to Wikipedia, this is their distribution.

31-Aug-15

Buffalo1's Link
StickFlicker,

I passed two shots on a black wildebeest on the hunt in June 2015. One animal was below my standards and the other was a quartering forward shot at 30 yds. I chose not to take a shot. Hopefully, another shot opportunity in future hunts.

Doc was successful on his attempt. In fact he achieved the Beest Slam on the hunt taking a red hartebeest, blue wildebeest and a black wildebeest on the hunt. Quite an accomplishment, especially with a bow.

I have attached a link to our hunt.

Thanks for inquiring.

• Sitka Gear