drycreek 13-Jun-15
Gazi 13-Jun-15
bowriter 14-Jun-15
writer 15-Jun-15
dj 17-Jun-15
dj 17-Jun-15
bowriter 17-Jun-15
31-May-15
I found this hillarious but it is not about a bowhunt. So if you are prejudiced, read no further.

I have a close friend who started going to Africa six years ago. He went about every second year. All he could talk about was how cheap it was considering the number of animals he could kill. Way cheaper than an elk hunt, he allowed. After the second trip, he ran out of room to hang the mounts. At his retirement as a criminal judge, he decided to build an addition on his house. The price tag for the addition was just about $100K. I told him at the time, he was not building it nearly large enough He did not agree, said it was more than enough more room.

Last week, he returned from his fourth trip. He has no place to hang the animals he killed on that trip. I asked him to add up the real cost of his African hunts, including taxidermy charges and the cost of the addition to his house both current and future. He just grimaced.

I said, "Tell me again just how cheap an African hunt is compared to an elk hunt." Fortunately, he can afford it. I mentioned it was pretty expensive just to be able to shoot spikes. Not sure he caught that.

31-May-15
I'm headed to Africa in July & I see no humor in this!

I fact I'm starting to get a headache now;>)

31-May-15
Your friend measures the value of a hunt by the ratio of dollars spent to animals killed?

That must be that "mindset" you were telling me about.

I understand that about as much as posting an "I told you so" thread about a "close friend" on a message board of strangers.

31-May-15
... so true!

31-May-15
Wow, envy really is ugly. BTW Where is Afric?

31-May-15
BTW WTF... over.

31-May-15
OK, There's lots of hunters heading for Africa (like t-roy) starting this month. It will be the experience of a lifetime whatever the cost. And, the cost doesn't matter because the value is immeasurable. Attempts to degrade it in relative costs to an elk hunt are petty....over.

31-May-15
Personally, I am in the camp that thinks most African hunts are less expensive than several hunts in the US.

I see what you are saying John, but anything can be what we make it. Meaning, if your friend went, and did all skull mounts, or simply took great pictures and left the trophies - which I have heard of several who have - it is cheaper than even some high end whitetail hunts. I will agree, and it is a bit frustrating for me, that depending on the taxidermist and the choice of display, the shipping of the trophies and the taxidermy can cost almost as much as the hunt itself.

But for me, I would rather go to Africa twice and make a lifetime of memories, and return with only pictures, than to pay the same amount for a high end, one animal hunt in the US. It all just depends on perspective.

Also, I get it, but you guys are being a bit tough on John, he is simply sharing his thoughts, which is what we all do on this and other websites.

31-May-15
Tough crowd John..........

31-May-15
Yup, I was a over the top in my response. Apologies to you John. Your points can be valid as are ToddT's. You can make Africa as expensive or inexpensive as you like. Hopefully that is never one's criteria for going. I am going on my 8th trip this year and plan to bring nothing back, ironically, for some of the same reasons you pointed out. If I have learned anything, Africa will only survive if we as hunters continue to support it. If you can, go! you won't regret it. But John is right, think beyond the hunt so that you can go back!

31-May-15
I don't really see the point of the thread. The comparison(s) aren't even valid…..if a guy would/could kill 6-10 elk on a single hunting trip, then maybe you could compare them - then again, your friend would still be correct with the math/money.

31-May-15
Baskin-Robbins serves 31 flavors !!

As the old saying goes- "I will buy everyone a cone if they all agree on just one flavor."

Hunters hunt different animals for different reasons. I respect the other hunter's reason.

31-May-15
I never consider taxidermy as part of the cost of a hunt.

31-May-15
Interesting points, John, and humorous.

I hope to do it next year, but only European mounts to save space and money.

I can top it, John.

A buddy had a 4,000 square foot "office" built on his farm so he'd have a place for all of his African mounts - shoulder mount giraffe, life-size lion, four or five buff's, a couple of leopards, several life-size antelope, plus all the stuff from five trips to Alaska, and all over. You get the idea, close to $200,000 in mounts.

At the time, he, his wife, and three daughters were living in a trailer house in the morning shadow of the trophy room.

Gotta love priorities!

31-May-15
I didn't even get any of the animals from my last trip over there mounted.. Just kept the skulls and horns.. I would rather spend the money on another hunt. Plus i feel like the hides never look very good after being dipped and packed so i would rather save my space for North American Game.

01-Jun-15
I find it quite sad that so many completely missed the point. Therefore, I feel no compunction to explain it. It was and is intended to convey a touch of humor. A trait obviously lacking in many.

01-Jun-15
I find it quite sad that so many completely missed the point. Therefore, I feel no compunction to explain it. It was and is intended to convey a touch of humor. A trait obviously lacking in many.

However, I do see quite a bit of humor in those who became so defensive. Your wives must follow this forum. :)

01-Jun-15
Must be an age thing, John.

I thought it was pretty funny, too. :-)

Way to man up, Gazi.

01-Jun-15
I thought the guy with the mobile home and storage building is a lot funnier story.

Who is that hunter- Jeff Foxworthy or Larry the Cable Guy?

01-Jun-15
I chuckled! Thanks for the story.

01-Jun-15
" It was and is intended to convey a touch of humor. A trait obviously lacking in many. Bowriter"

Welcome to BS. Thats one reason I dont post much anymore. Oh well, this hunting stuff gets more expensive every year. I just hope the masses figure it out before our hunting is like Europes. Mike

01-Jun-15
I read it as a story of two good friends giving each other a bit of back and forth good natured ribbing. Just like the old story about the cost of cutting your own fire wood.

01-Jun-15
Agree with your last post bowriter and Florida mike. I thought it was a great story.

01-Jun-15
the point of the thread was humor. it seems to have been lost on most.... "over" (seriously?, "over"??)

01-Jun-15
guys y'all are hitting close to home! I was living (full time) in a 28 foot travel trailer when I planned my first Newfoundland bear hunt! LOL

01-Jun-15
It is funny. Don't know why I missed it the first time. One of those days. The ridiculous part is I have a mounted warthog in my garage with a Harley Davidson cap on his head because I didn't have room for either one! Maybe that's why I missed the humor the first time...too close to home!?

01-Jun-15
No Buffalo, the guy living in the trailer, with three girls, was building one of the top farming operations in that part of Kansas.

He eventually traded houses with his mother, who was in the traditional farm house.

It was a helluva a trophy room the last time I saw it, maybe eight years ago...and he's since added a rhino and a few other goodies.

Everything is in how we want to prioritize our lives.

01-Jun-15
Yes, it was not that funny since it hits home for me as well. However, I am long past thinking about rationalizing Africa, especially around compounded costs. Go experience it and you will know what I mean. I suspect your friend is already in this frame of mind.... He was likely grimacing because he was frustrated that you still do not understand where he is coming from and why he wants more of it while he can. Go with him next time and enjoy!

01-Jun-15
Writer,

Is the trophy room the shed out back with taxidermy trophies or the mother's former house with three trophy girl's in it?

I'm confused !!

02-Jun-15
We have a family friend who lived to hunt. He went to Alaska on several big ticket hunts, and the third planned trip his wife told him if he went she would not be there when he returned... SO she was not- expensive divorce.

Now he lives in a double-wide trailer. 3 lifesized Goat mounts, a lifesized Moose, dozens of shoulder mounts all crammed into his "home"...

Moral to the story is don't lay down ultimatum's or take them lightly if placed upon you!

02-Jun-15
Matthews Man, that's an awesome story! Good call on your friend's part.

04-Jun-15
Yeh..... I was living in my car at the time when I planned my first African hunt...lol!

04-Jun-15
I have been invited to hunt Africa, (free) on several occasions. I turned them down for two, maybe three reasons. First, I can't afford that kind of "free" hunt. Second, there truthfully are only a few animals there I have any desire to kill. And I dang sure could not afford them. The big cats are really about all I would care to shoot.

Everyone I know who has been, seems to become addicted to it. I know of noone who only went one time. I love to hunt, did for a living for years. I just have never had the desire to hunt Africa. I have hunted Mexico and Canada so that is about my limit of foreign expeditions.

But right here in little Lebanon, I have three good friends who go. Two have had to buy larger houses and one, as I mentioned, had an expensive addition built, just for the trophies. I have a wonderfull wife of 40-years. I think I would rather keep her than hunt the Dark Continent. (Too many of the animals look like Tink)

10-Jun-15
Bowriter, I got the humor. Have to admit that it was a little "close to home", but what the hey, I love my trophy room ....five critters at the taxidermist right now and I leave in a month for more.

13-Jun-15
somehow my wife got the idea my first trip was sort of a bucket list thing, and it would be a one time thing. So when I purchased another to SA the next year she was not very understanding to say the least. I did skulls on everything except the bushbuck and biggest impala but she still says the locks will be changed if I go again... it was good to read others have this problem..

13-Jun-15

drycreek's embedded Photo
drycreek's embedded Photo
I guess I married up. My wife has been on board to go to Africa for years. It's me that won't/can't pull the trigger. I guess one reason is akin to what John said. I just can't see me going to Africa and not killing a Cape Buffalo. Now, where in the hell would I hang that mount ?

13-Jun-15
A wise man once advised me that the most expensive Africa hunt is the one where you leave your spouse at home with a credit card while you are gone for two weeks having the time of your life :-)

14-Jun-15
I guess I am pretty lucky, (smart), I married a woman with huge earning potential and most years, she has earned considerably more than me. She has not once complained about any hunting or fishing trip I have taken and would have been 100% behind me going to Africa.

On the other hand, she does not allow any mounts anywhere in the house except my two-room office. And I am fine with that. I never go in the rest of the house anyway. In fact, I think there are a couple rooms I have never been in.

15-Jun-15
Atta boy, John way to marry above yourself! Me, too!

Heck, anybody can marry a lazy, dumb ugly one!

...just ask my wife!!!!!!

17-Jun-15
My situation is a bit different, my wife loves it as much as I do! The ONLY downside to that is that the cost of everything is times two! She books about as many trips as I do, and if I play my cards right I get to go also...lol.

Wouldn't trade her for the world.

17-Jun-15
My situation is a bit different, my wife loves it as much as I do! The ONLY downside to that is that the cost of everything is times two! She books about as many trips as I do, and if I play my cards right I get to go also...lol.

Wouldn't trade her for the world.

17-Jun-15
Little off the subject but it is my thread so so what?

I have been married almost 40-years. When Jeanne and I got married, we agreed we would not try to change each other. We have stuck with that agreement. I am what I am and she what she is. She neither hunts nor fishes and is perfectly happy being indoors. I am the exact opposite.

Between us, we raised two kids, relatively trouble free and both are married and raising their own families with little input from us. In addition to helping them through college, we have been able to put a little money back. We are far from rich but okay. Enough that I guess, if we wanted to go somewhere, anywhere, we probably could afford it.

Not long ago, we discussed just that. Could not think of a single dang place we wanted to go bad enough to go through all the trouble. Most of our bucket lists are in fact, just about complete. We still eat together, spend quite a bit of time reading together and then each day, do whatever each of us wants to do.

I call that pretty dadgum successfull. In a few days, I will be 71, exactly 50-years older then anyone thought I would live and I have been pronounced dead twice. I am one super-lucky dude. God has truly blessed me.

• Sitka Gear