Zbone 24-Jun-15
the apprentice 26-Jun-15
bghunter 26-Jun-15
GhostBird 26-Jun-15
GhostBird 26-Jun-15
20-Jun-15

the apprentice's embedded Photo
the apprentice's embedded Photo
Hey fellas Mick here, one of your members from Down Under. I just wanted to share with you some photos to show what Australia has to offer the bowhunting world at this time of year. June - July means only one thing in the Australian deer hunting seen, the Rusa Deer rut, with stags roaring similar to red stags and keeping you up all night. This last week I was lucky enough to hunt with the best Rusa deer hunting outfit in Australia and arguably the world at the moment "Broad Sound Bowhunting Safaris" owned and operated by Greg Coyne.

photo DSC00009_zpsklo6nryt.jpg

Greg has a wonderful herd of free ranging Javan Rusa stags as well as access to Mollucan Rusa, Axis Deer, Hog Deer, Scrub Bulls and goats.

photo DSC00078_zpsaqdexnww.jpg

photo DSC00085_zps1i9xborm.jpg

I was lucky enough to be doing a cull hunt with them chasing both Javan and Mollucan Rusa. Some of the best heads in Australia and SCI have come out of the herd found on this property so I new i was in good hands. Heads of up to 40 inches long are a reality here. With such a high caliber of deer their culls are very respectable.

photo DSC00087_zpsuvx8lalw.jpg

Rusa deer love the open plains making bowhunting them a challenge and making long shots a must. However on the third day I managed to belly crawl through the grass to within 30m of a group of stags and successfully take out my first rusa stag with one arrow out of my mathews Chill X. This cull stag later measured 34 1/4 inches long and I couldn't be happier with him.

photo DSC00046_zpsj5gpiezs.jpg

photo DSC00042_zps76morcro.jpg

photo DSC00050_zpsjpslrmnh.jpg

photo DSC00055_zpsxrxyz1g5.jpg

After getting him back to the shed for capeing and meat processing it was back out into the field looking for a mollucan.

Mollucan Rusa are cousins to Javan Rusa just alot smaller sized. Late that afternoon I was able to get a shot away at a nice cull mollucan. After the shot made it into the thick trees and vines that they call home where we recovered him the next morning.

photo DSC00070_zpsvu5x9fw1.jpg

photo DSC00072_zpss2svd7m7.jpg

If any one is considering a fun exciting hunt you cant go past Rusa Deer hunting in Australia. With some of the best hunting just a few hours from the great barrier reef you can be hunting one day and the next drinking cocktails on tropical islands. My deer hunting is over now for the year. My attention now turns to buffalo in the Northern Territory.

cheers Mick AKA The apprentice

21-Jun-15
Does anyone know how to fix my pictures?

21-Jun-15
I sure hope someone cab fix your pictures as I am dying to see them. I wish I could be of some help, but I am lucky to even be able to log onto the computer.

Congrats on a great hunt.

22-Jun-15
Any one?

24-Jun-15
Try to PM Charlie or Pat, they should be able to help. I really want to see these photos. I hunted NZ only once and loved everything about the south pacific. Hope to one day make it to the land of OZ

24-Jun-15
Those [URL] type codes won't work on these pages. They only work on UBB bulletin boards.

Just post your pics individually using the bowsite upload feature, one picture per post.

24-Jun-15
 photo DSC00009_zpsklo6nryt.jpg

photo DSC00085_zps1i9xborm.jpg

Use the HTML tag on photo bucket

24-Jun-15
They look related to the Wapiti/Red deer family?

26-Jun-15
thanks for the help finally got the pictures sorted. Rusa as far as I know are related more to Sambar deer then elk or reds. There has been a few cases in Australia where hunters have shot Ruba Sambar / Rusa

26-Jun-15
Looks like a great hunt. I would have no problem taking any of those animals, as far I am concerned trophy is all an the eye of the beholder.

If I wasnt halfway around the world I would say if you ever need a partner give me a call and I would join you.

26-Jun-15
Good stuff... thanks for sharing!!!

26-Jun-15
Post up some buffalo photos when you get into them.

• Sitka Gear