StickFlicker 10-Sep-15
Buffalo1 10-Sep-15
Buffalo1 10-Sep-15
gobble50 10-Sep-15
Buffalo1 10-Sep-15
MambaHNTR 11-Sep-15
mparks 11-Sep-15
26-Jun-15
Every adventure begins somewhere. Three Bowsiters were involved in this adventure- Doc Jones of Mississippi (aka ilkilmore), Forrest Anderson of North Carolina (aka Drathaar) and myself, Greg Duncan of Mississippi (aka Buffalo1). Our adventure began at our local airports and then we all met in Atlanta, Ga. to take the grueling 16-hour trip across the Atlantic Ocean on infamous Delta Flight 200 to Joburg. In Joburg, we were met by Afton House staff and carried to Afton House for some chill time and a wonderful steak meal. The layover helped our sleep pattern adjustment for the 6 hour advanced time on our body clocks.

After an early breakfast the next morning, we were transported back to the Joburg airport where “Mr. X” met us. Mr. X is a member of the Afton House staff who assists Afton House clientele with the “hoops” of South African immigration, flight arrangements and luggage transfer. We were then assisted to our departure gate to await the third leg of our final destination of Windhoek, Namibia aboard South African Airlines.

Once we arrived in Windhoek and completed the immigration and baggage labyrinth we were greeted by Agagia Hunting staff and were off to Agagia Lodge which is located approximately 2 hours north of Windhoek. Once at Agagia we were warmly greeted by Agagia staff and were given a Namibian welcome. We then unpacked, practiced with our bows and prepared for our hunts. Doc & I were booked for a 10-day hunt and Forrest was booked for a 12 day hunt.

This was Doc’s virgin voyage to Africa and his first bow hunt on the Dark Continent. For those who have hunted Africa, I’m sure you can vividly remember you first African adventure. This was Forrest’s third trip to Africa and his first time to hunt Namibia. This was my fourth trip to Africa and my second time to hunt Namibia and with Agagia.

Tielman and Carin Neethling run a “top shelf “ operation. They are both serious bow hunters and fully understand the needs of a bow hunter. The lodge provides super accommodations and the food is excellent. All of the staff are certified in their profession whether they are a PH, a tracker, a skinner, a food preparer or a housekeeper.

There is an abundance of game both in quantity and quality. Shot distances at water holes range from 4-25 yards, with most shots averaging 15-17 yards.

This was my first time to hunt Africa in June. My previous trips had been in the months of July, August and September. The later months offer warmer temps and lower moisture levels making waterholes more attractive. Thus more animal sightings and hopefully shot opportunities can be anticipated.

Since we were the first group to hunt this season with Agagia the animals were much less skittish than prior hunts. I watched many of the animals drink at the waterhole and then go lay down under shade near the waterhole. Because of my prior trips to Africa my “want list” continues to shrink. My 2015 list included kudu, black wildebeest, jackal and anything better than what I had already harvested. I was successful in reducing my perpetual “want list.”

In ten days of hunting, I had 766 animals sightings at the waterholes. This included 13 various species of game. I killed eight animals and lost three animals (2 warthogs and an impala). I had bad arrow shot placement on a zebra and had to put the animal down with a rifle. I regretted the situation, but it was the ethical thing to do. Three of my animals will hopefully qualify for SCI record book recording. As a collective group were took an approximate total of 32 animals. I took approximated 700+ photographs plus videos during my hunt.

Perhaps the highlights of my trip were being with Doc, a “first timer” to Africa, sharing camp with my good friend, Forrest. Also sharing camp with Denny Steiner and his wife, Maureen and grandson, Evan. Denny is the representative for Agagia Hunting in the U.S. Plus, having the pleasure of being in the company with Zeev Nederman from the U.S. who was at Agagia in pursuit of leopard with a gun. Zeev moved from Agagia Hunting to South Africa and was successful in taking more African game.

While at a waterhole one day my PH received a text message that leopard bait was needed. I was able to respond to the fulfilling the request in 10 minutes with a nice female warthog. Zeev was successful in killing a nice leopard, which is a story within itself. Other highlights included seeing and photographing a black mamba, seeing a leopard quickly cross a waterhole and viewing the beautiful African sunsets.

Planning and preparation are key components with any successful endeavor. Annelise Dubose of Areva Travel handled all of our travel arrangements and our layover stay at Afton House in Joburg, Annelise’s mother, Annelise Meeker, just happens to be the owner of Afton House. Tielman and Carin Neethling operate one of the premier bow hunting concessions in Namibia. Thanks also to my wife for tolerating my wild adventures and to the Good Lord for providing travel mercies and great memories for one of my lifelong passions- bow hunting Africa.

My equipment setup for this trip included an Elite Synergy Bow set on 55#@28 1/2” draw. Easton Axis Realtree Shafts with 4- 2” Blazer vanes (RH). Arrows were tipped with 125 gr. broadheads (either 2-blade vented VPA or Woodsmen Elite 3-blade vented). Total arrows weigh was 492-495 gr. Arrow speed was 223 FPS.

I will share a couple photos with comments about my hunt and conclude with a sunset photo. From that point forward the other hunters on this adventure will let participate with their experiences and thoughts along with thread viewer comments. in the adventure share their experiences and thoughts. Your patience in letting me post is appreciated, remember keyword is SUNSET. Thanks

26-Jun-15

Buffalo1's MOBILE embedded Photo

First blood this trip was a black-backed jackal. I missed one last trip and missed a shooting opportunity. They are sly, fast and come in close to dark.

26-Jun-15

Responses to the text message that leopard bait was needed. Responded faster than Domino's Pizza!

26-Jun-15

Kudu #1

The reward for an unusually long, slow day at the waterhole.

26-Jun-15

Super Tusk- he is record book material. Initial bad shot with a 698 yd stalk follow up and a kill. Stalk was fun but not intended. .

26-Jun-15

Kudu #2

He was in full rut but was looking for love in the wrong place.

26-Jun-15

What a full rut neck looks like.

26-Jun-15

"Be My Valentine!"

Female warthog with heart-shaped tusk.

26-Jun-15

"The Poorman's Buffalo"

Looked him over for about 5 minutes before I made the decision to shoot. He is record book material.

26-Jun-15

A misplaced arrow shot lead to a stalk and a gun kill. Hated it, but it was the ethical thing to do. The stalk was quite an experience. African trackers are unreal.

26-Jun-15

What can top an African sunset? The chance to see another one!!

Great memories of the past and dreams of anticipation for the future!!

26-Jun-15
All I can say is WOW!.

26-Jun-15
Very good Greg ! The wildebeast is very nice as are the kudu ! And what a great/ugly warthog ! The sunset is gorgeous ! Bet you had a great time and I wish I could muster up the courage to face that flight. I know that I would love the hunt !

26-Jun-15
Greg,

Thanks for making me start dreaming about another trip. Wow! Awesome adventure!

26-Jun-15
AWESOME Greg... looks like another fabulous trip.

Thanks for sharing your adventure. Some nice trophies!

27-Jun-15
Africa is a place I will never go (too much else to do) but it is very neat to see such pictures! Thanks for sharing! C

27-Jun-15
Congrats Greg!!!

27-Jun-15
Did you go to the beach house on the ocean in Swapokmund?

27-Jun-15
Face the flight?

Come on, man, that's weak.

You put off something you've wanted to do for decades, because you dread a flight that takes less than a day?

:-)

27-Jun-15
Awesome Greg!

We leave for S.Africa in 2 weeks. Can't wait.

27-Jun-15
Thanks for sharing Greg, Nice trophies and new experiences. Curious... How would you position Namibia compared to RSA for the bowhunting experience now?

P.S. Love that big Blue Wildebeest.

27-Jun-15
Pete- did not go to the beach house. Just hunted the entire time at Agagia and Bush Camp. Hope to make it there one day.

writer- I've never jumped up and down with excitement about a continuous 16 hr. plane ride. Kinda doubt I ever will. I have not let 16 hrs of flying stop me from going anywhere and hope that I never will, unless it is for some medical reason.

Have you ever been to Africa? Have you ever been on a continuous 16 hr. plane ride? If yes, did you find it a pleasant experience and something you yearned to do?

AZ-Rich - I have to say that there is no real clear comparison between RSA and Namibia. It really depends on the animal you are desiring to hunt. I really like the beauty of the land and the people in Namibia. Lot less people and crime in Namibia which is comforting.

27-Jun-15
The 16.5 hour flight I took to Australia was NOT enjoyable. But it was worth the trip. I'll do another long flight, but first class.

Looks like a very successful hunt, congrats!!

27-Jun-15
Greg, What an awesome adventure you had. You took some excellent animals and have many excellent memories I'm sure. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us all and good luck with the rest of your 2015 buddy.

Best regards, Scott Alberda

27-Jun-15
Greg - It looks like you thinned out the Warthog and Kudu population. There's nothing like a sunset in Africa after a good day of hunting. Congrats on a great hunt!

27-Jun-15
Africa, no.

Australia, yes.

By the time I got to New Zealand I had more than 17 hours in the air.

I didn't say it would be something I'd want to just do for the hell of it. You now, fly to Joburg, turn around and fly back the next day!

Somethings you have to make sacrifices for.

Hell, my great-grandfather was a stow-away on a steam ship from Germany to New York, by himself, when he was nine. My wife was in labor for 20 hours with our first...and she still wanted a second, and I've never seen anyone more uncomfortable than she was. :-)

My plans are to go to Africa in 2016. If I have to fly 16 hours, to enjoy 14 days someplace I've wanted to go for the past 50 years...sign me up!

28-Jun-15
Writer,

You have some valid points. Thanks for sharing.

I hope to encounter another 16 hr "grueling flight" in 2017. Still got some "unfinished business" with some animals in Africa.

28-Jun-15
OK, so maybe I wish the 17 hours to New Zealand thingy would have taken longer.

NZ govt flew me in first class, my flight attendant was a dead-ringer for a 30-year-old Shania Twain, but with that killer Aussieish accent.

Robin was an avid hunter and fly-angler with her father in New Zealand so we talked fishing and hunting, and recipes and she wanted to know about my daughter hunting and fishing with me and if we'd ever come over and go with her and her father.

She gave me directions to the family's cabin on some cool trout river, and said she'd clear it with her father for me to stay there if I ever returned with my daughter. :-)

OK, haven't heard such glowing reports about some of the flight crews on planes going to Africa.

28-Jun-15

This is the black mamba that got a picture of at the waterhole. This creature was doing what is suppose to be done at a waterhole- drink water.

This sighting gave me a new awareness of danger as I walked and stalked thru the bush.

28-Jun-15

AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
10-4 on that! Thinking of Mambas, I was in a crazy situation last August where I was running through the bush in pitch black trying to catch up to the four 20 something PHs who were running with the camp Jack Russell who was closing in on my big Warthog which I hit a little back an hour prior. I was sitting in a blind baiting for honey badger when the old boar I saw the day before came in. I found out that night shooting with a less than optimal headlight spot by my PH was not as accurate as I hoped. Anyway the were afraid the dog was going to get hurt so off they ran. I lagged behind and was busting through all kinds of bush to get there with them, praying the whole time that I would not step onto one of those bad boys. The Jack was all over the boar which had backed in his hole and I had to finish him with a quick frontal. (I know the broadhead must still be buried in his brain cavity). My heart was sure going fast I can tell you that. Got to love Africa!!

29-Jun-15

AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
P.S. I'm custom mounting this Boar coming out of this hole which I think will turn out nicely when I finish it. He was a very old Warty of the caliber you don't see too often.

29-Jun-15
Congrats! Great report.

29-Jun-15
Cool piggy, AZ.

Please remember to share a pic of the mount when it's done.

I'll be that was "exciting" at night, with the dog barking, fear of mambas, the size of those tusks...

29-Jun-15
AZ that's a nice piggy and a cool story !! Please post a photo of your taxidermy work when completed.

29-Jun-15
Very Nice Buffalo1 Thanx for sharing. I'm going over in Aug. first time.

29-Jun-15
Congratulations, Greg! Great animals and recap.

29-Jun-15
Awesome report Greg. Getting me amped up for our trip over next year.

30-Jun-15
Great hunt guys! Beautiful place!

30-Jun-15
My African Safari was much more than I expected. Going along with Greg made the traveling much less stressful than it would have been. I may not be the best one to give tips on African travel since this was my first trip, but if you ever need to overnight in Joburg you should consider Afton House. The food and accommodations were excellent and very reasonable but having Mr. X helping with our security issues really made life easier. Hunting with Agagia was fulfilling a lifelong dream of mine. I had always wanted to kill a kudu and oryx. I really had no interest in a zebra until I took my wife to visit the taxidermist with me. She instantly fell in love with a zebra rug and said that's all she wanted back from my trip. After studying some of the mounts, my hit list got longer and longer the more I looked. I can't say the hunting at Agagia is the best since I have nothing to compare it to. But I will say if there is a better place you can sign me up. Some days we stayed in the same hides all day, but if the wind changed we were moved in short order. My PH was invaluable. Had it not been for him I would have shot out in 4-5 days. They all looked big to me. I had a chance at everything I wanted. I killed the first 50" kudu I saw. I later killed a 53 1/2" kudu, and according to Buffalo1, a record book black wildebeest and blue wildebeest. My warthogs, Impala, red hartebeest and zebra were also good animals and made my record book. My nemesis, the waterbuck eluded me. But Greg said that wasn't all bad since now I had a good reason to go back! Forrest and Greg were great hunting companions. Greg was fairly selective but Forrest shot the woods up! I hope he has a BIG house. It is nice to hunt with people that are glad to see you kill good animals without any jealousy. They were great. You always discover some unexpected things when you go on a hunting trip. Like 1.My bed was as comfortable as any I have ever slept in and my private room/bath was kept spotless. 2.The trackers were amazing at what they could see. 3.Blue wildebeest are much bigger than I thought and black wildebeest are much smaller. 4. African animals are just plain tough! 5.Michael did all of the grilling of our game meat. Last night at Agagia he had us a special treat. He cooked loins from beef, warthog, Impala, zebra, kudu, oryx, red hartebeest, waterbuck, blue wildebeest and black wildebeest. All cooked the same way at the same time. My favorite by far was the zebra with waterbuck a close second. I wish I would have taken this trip 20 years ago. I don't know if I will ever be able to go back to Africa. But if I do, rest assured that it will be back to Agagia. You will never be treated better.

30-Jun-15

Ilkilmore's embedded Photo

30-Jun-15

One of my new "favorites"

30-Jun-15

30-Jun-15

A goal finally reached

30-Jun-15

My wife made me do it!

30-Jun-15
Great animals ! I'm surprised that you preferred zebra over all the others. Not that I've ever eaten it, but interesting nonetheless.zebra would certainly be on my hitlist also. Good write up guys.

30-Jun-15
Teilman asked my wife what cut from the zebra she wanted and she picked the liver and said it was excellent when we were there.

01-Jul-15
llkilmore, Very Nice Thanx for sharing !!!! >>--->

01-Jul-15
Greg, Dock, wanted to say first of all what a great trip we all had. hunting with you two was awesome. even though you are north of the Mason Dixon line. you guys have pretty well covered everything . again Afton House is great, they take most of your worries away. the airport in S.A. can be a real headache . Agagia is set up for bow hunters by bow hunters, the blinds have plenty of room, quite and dark . The entire outfit staff are very professional and friendly. the food is fantastic. rooms clean. Just can't say enough good about the hole outfit Agagia. Like dock has already said I guess I went a little overboard. shot 15 animals and recovered 14. the 1 was a blue wildebeest. with the camera in the shooting hole, shouldn't have taken the shot. Long story. I was shooting elite answer @ 60 LBS 29 1/2"draw. Easton alum 2020 arrows 3 4" feathers 175 grain non vented 3 blade VPA broadheads. total weight615 grains. I shot 1 Jackal 4 warthogs (huge 10 1/2" to 11 1/2'),1 Hartmann's zebra stallion, 1 Burchell zebra stallion,2 Gemsbok,2 kudu bulls. 1 Red Hartebeest,2 Blue Wildebeest (1 recovered) 1 Waterbuck Bull. as dock said they all made my record book. I can't thank Carin and Tielman Neethling owners of Agagia enough for a awesome adventure. Forrest

01-Jul-15
Ok Forest let's see some pics!!! I would go hunt there every year if I could.

01-Jul-15
Some impressive reports.

Are all of the animals born on the property, or are they purchased and then released?

Just askin'...

01-Jul-15
Writer,

Agagia was originally a cattle farm. It has since been transformed into a wild game farm. Remnants of the cattle operation can still be seen on the property- windmills, corrals, etc. Some of the animals are born on the property and some are purchased and released.

From what I understand wild game is treated much the same as domestic stock farming is in the U.S- raised, bred, bought, sold, auctioned, etc. The stock on a parcel is the "property" of the owner of the parcel. I really don't know who owns the wild game that is on the sides of the road everywhere. I don't know what the deal is with what we call "road right away" in the U.S.

The morning that Doc & I left, we saw large amounts of red hartebeest, kudu, gemsbok, warthogs and baboons on the sides of the roads- I have know idea who would own then, I guess if the animals went over or under a property fence they would then be owned by the landowner.

I learned that it would be difficult for blesbok to survive in the area of Namibia where we were hunting because they are easy prey for cheetahs.

02-Jul-15
AZ- Rich tried to post a few pitchers and it didn't work. might have to wait when I get home in 3 weeks, my daughter will help. I am not very computer savvy Writer. at Agagia you are hunting around 50,000 continues acre's, so many animals are born inside the fence. this is a hunt, if the wind is not right you will have no shot, and nothing come in but birds. As Greg has already stated about the game outside of the fence, their is a lot, something that I did not see in S.A. Forrest

03-Jul-15

Drahthaar's embedded Photo
see if this worked

03-Jul-15

Red Hartebeest Bull

03-Jul-15

After sunset

03-Jul-15

After the shot

03-Jul-15

Kudu # 1

03-Jul-15

Waterbuck, watched him breed the cow before I shot him

03-Jul-15

Hartmann"s Zebra stallion. 17yard shot 10 yard recovery. this is my favorite. Forrest

03-Jul-15

Burchell's Zebra stallion. Forrest

03-Jul-15

Gemsbok #2

03-Jul-15
Cool pics Forrest- keep's coming !!

03-Jul-15
Congrats, Forrest.

03-Jul-15

Kudu # 2 , Hope I didn't bore everyone with too many hero shots. it was a blast. Forrest

03-Jul-15
CONGRATULATIONS Greg & Forrest... what a great safari!

I would love to join you guys next time around!

04-Jul-15
Yes, Forrest, you were on a roll! Great trophies and photos. Congrats to you on all of them.

04-Jul-15
Not bored here ! Enjoyed this thread immensely !

04-Jul-15

Before sunrise . I would go out every morning and watch the sun come up and then shoot my bow before going hunting. Forrest

04-Jul-15

Thanks for all of the nice comments Poachers snare around this waterbuck cow.

04-Jul-15

cooking breakfast

04-Jul-15

Good warthog. turned down a 38" gemsbok when I shot this warthog. Forrest

04-Jul-15
Y'all are some killing machines ! Good job guys !

04-Jul-15
Nice animals !

04-Jul-15

Buffalo1's embedded Photo
This was one of my favorite photos. "The Drinking Twins"

The location where the giraffe on the left is standing is same spot where the mamba was drinking water. The mamba slithered back into the bush behind where the giraffe is standing. You never know what is in the bush !!

04-Jul-15
Excellent... keep the photos coming!

05-Jul-15

If you look close you can see all of the thorns on every bush. Animals can run thru this stuff and not get scratched or cut- humans can't. A bow shot in this thick of bush is virtually impossible. Photo was shot at 75 yds.

05-Jul-15

This is the reason 8 ply tires are needed.

05-Jul-15

Another view of tires & thorns

05-Jul-15

A good reason why it is not wise to run around barefooted. I still have thorn stems in my boot soles today.

06-Jul-15
I caught a bowhunting show the other day on TV and they were hunting RSA. I have seen many and normally like them. This one was special. It wasn't the hunting or the characters or whatever it was simply one little thing that I miss more than I could even imagine. The sound of the bush. I heard those same sounds that I woke up to every morning in Africa. This thread along with those sounds make me long to go back.

06-Jul-15
Bowfreak,I agree the sounds of the bush. we hunted a different camp for a few days where we had to drive about 1 hour, well coming home we had a flat tire, had already used the spare early that day, herd some pretty good sounds that knight. plus look at the stars, AWESOME Forrest

07-Jul-15
Congrats Greg and friends on an incredible trip! Thanks for the link too Greg, I don't get on BS very much anymore so it helped me find your thread. I hope one day to do an Africa trip. Those were some very big trophies! Mike

09-Sep-15

gobble50's embedded Photo
gobble50's embedded Photo
Greg - where did those two years go since we shared a camp at Agagia? I was thinking about you this summer going back and looks like you did it in high style ~ well done sir! You may recall it was our 3rd trip to Africa....doubt we'll go again but if they had their winter conditions in February......I'd go every year! If ever you get to Iowa, give us a shout & visit us at the farm. Gary & Mary

10-Sep-15
Sorry if I missed it, but what were the dates of your trip that you saw a black mamba? I realize that you might see one anytime, but I suspect your chances are much lower in and around July.

10-Sep-15
Hunt dates were 6/12-21. Saw mamba on 6/15 at the water hole.

Also saw slither marks of a mamba about 600 yards from the waterhole on a game trail in the bush also on 6/15.

After these two incidents I watched every step I took and looked at every bush before advancing on walks in the bush trailing game !!

10-Sep-15
Gary-

Check your PM's !!!!!!!

Buffalo

10-Sep-15
Greg - where did those two years go since we shared a camp at Agagia? I was thinking about you this summer going back and looks like you did it in high style ~ well done sir! You may recall it was our 3rd trip to Africa....doubt we'll go again but if they had their winter conditions in February......I'd go every year! If ever you get to Iowa, give us a shout & visit us at the farm. Gary & Mary

10-Sep-15
Gary,

Check you PM's. I sent you one.

Duncan

11-Sep-15
stickflicker, I killed a 9ft mamba with my bow in mid june in Namibia. he came in to water .

11-Sep-15
Looks like a great trip! Incredible pics and animals. Forest is about to put some lucky taxidermist's kid through college!

• Sitka Gear