scndwfstlhntng 01-Aug-15
KS Flatlander 01-Aug-15
Fulldraw1972 01-Aug-15
stagetek 01-Aug-15
midwest 01-Aug-15
arky 01-Aug-15
writer 01-Aug-15
30-Jul-15
Does anybody know where there are going to be any candlelight vigils for Cecil this weekend?

This story has been blown up way out of proportion by the liberal anti- hunting media.

I had never heard of "Cecil the lion" before all of this hit. Had anyone on here heard of this lion before all of this??

I would wager that 95% + people that are so outraged over this have no clue where Hwange Park is, and probably most couldn't pick Zimbabwe off of a map.

This was a very well thought out and executed attack on trophy hunting and lion hunting in particular, the bow was an added bonus for them. Again, IM NOT TAKING UP FOR OR CONDEMMING THE HUNTER UNTIL ALL THE DETAILS HAVE BEEN MADE PUBLIC.

So my question is, had anyone ever heard of this particular lion before this all hit the news?

30-Jul-15
No and good point.

30-Jul-15
But...but...but...he was "universally loved"...or so I've read everywhere. I didn't love the damn thing before and I sure don't love it now. Never even heard of it.

30-Jul-15
No, but all I know is Obozo vows justice. He has the USFWS investigating it - not sure how they have any jurisdiction. But from the comment below of an Zimbabwe citizen I imagine they will start to riot any day now. They just don't know it yet.

"In Zimbabwe, however, citizens are confused at the ruckus the death of the lion has caused.

“Are you saying that all this noise is about a dead lion? Lions are killed all the time in this country,” said Tryphina Kaseke, a used-clothes hawker in Zimbabwe in an interview with Reuters. “What is so special about this one?”"

30-Jul-15
Agree with Pig Doc. I'd never heard of Samson the bull elk either, until he was killed in Estes Park, CO.

Edit: and yes, they held a candlelight vigil for Samson. Same thing for the elk that was "murdered" by the cops in Boulder a year or two ago. Sucks that these elk were poached, but really??? Welcome to the world we live in.

Bottom line is, it doesn't matter if the facts eventually emerge or not. The only ones facts matter to are us. We've already lost the PR war on this, and that's not going to change.

30-Jul-15
Yes, Cecil and I were pen pals! I say get a rope and find a tall oak tree!

30-Jul-15
Good grief.

30-Jul-15

Stekewood's embedded Photo
Stekewood's embedded Photo

30-Jul-15
Just what, they will mount him and put him on display and I see a statue in the making.

30-Jul-15
From AR...

Originally posted by Zimbabwe Wildlife Conservation: Information we have just received from some senior officers at Zimbabwe parks H.Q in Harare . A few points of interest -:

As far as national parks are concerned, they have no issue with the client. He complied like any other hunting client is required to.

Everyone at Harare HQ are intrigued with the "Cecil " hype... Each and everyone of them ask the same questions that 95% of other Zimbabwe citizens are asking.... Who is Cecil? They had never heard of this lion...until news broke on social media. Everyone at main camp national parks station in hwange when asked about Cecil , said "we do not know of this lion, you had better talk to lion researchers maybe they can give you more information"

There was a board meeting today at the HQ which was attended by senior staff and board members. Even in this meeting people where asking "who is Cecil"? With some of the board members who had recently visited hwange saying, if he was as famous as the media have made him out to be, how come we did not get to know of Cecil ..??

The issue of quota transfer came up for discussion. I have it on good authority from several of the board members that this diabolical practice has been stopped with immediate effect.. At last,

It's a pity something like this has to happen to influence basic conservation decisions.

30-Jul-15
Here's a post from a hunter.

Re: Cecil's dead « Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 01:37:48 PM » Reply with quote This is a destructive and planned witch hunt buy anti-hunting groups. For two weeks the story was presented that he was shot by a Spaniard and everyone was petitioning the EU to ban lion imports there. Now they have moved the fight to the USA. I have hunted wild lions in Zimbabwe. You don't have to draw them out of parks to kill them. THEY JUST WALK OUT. Its what they do. Male lions will walk 10 to 12 miles a night patrolling their territories. This lions territory could have been as large as 200 sq. miles. You can't fence Hwange park. They have elephants. They don't respect fencing. The collar that everyone got up in arms about was specifically put on this lion to study both his movements and MORTALITY OUTSIDE OF THE PARK. It was part of an ongoing study funded by Oxford, that in order for the study to be complete MALE LIONS HAD TO BE SHOT! They collared over 60 lions for this study 24 have been shot. Why is this lion the one that is enraging all the idiots? Why do you think the PH returned the collar directly to the park officials after the cat was killed? Yes this lion was a known lion. We know he was 13 years old. Well into the age group which every biologist studying lions agrees SHOULD BE SHOT!

I here this emotional crap about now his cubs will get killed. Maybe. Maybe not. But guess what happens if this hunter had not shot the lion. Another lion comes in kills this lion and then he decides whether he is going to kill the cubs or not. Whether hunters kill this used up lion or anther lion, THE EFFECT AND RISK IS THE SAME. They know this lion killed another lion to take over a territory. His back leg was broken in the fight and had to be shot to death by Hwange rangers. Then this Lion gets to go kill all of his cubs.

There is one thing that does remain to be seen. There may have not been legal quota to kill the lion on the property in which it was shot. If this is the case and the outfitter is convicted then the lion was POACHED. Regardless of if he ever lived within a park with a color and made the most cuddly lion cubs ever to grace earth it is a poached lion and laws deal with poachers. THERE IS NO REASON TO OUTLAW ALL HUNTING WHEN AN EXISTING GAME LAW IS BROKEN AND ENFORCED.

Also this lion may have been killed on illegaly seized property. ZANU-PF started seizing land from farmers and ranchers in Zimbabwe. People were murdered and their homes burned on some of these properties. Millions of white people fled in a mass exodus with nothing but their clothes to keep from being killed. NOT ONE OF THESE SELF-RIGHTEOUS LION WORSHIPERS SAID A SINGLE THING ABOUT THAT! Nobody helped those people. THE ENTIRE WORLD TURNED A BLIND EYE TO IT. Now they are going to make a stand because of one lion. YOU WANT TO KNOW A THREATENED SPECIES TRY BEING WHITE IN ZIMBABWE. In 15 years 99% have been driven out or killed.

30-Jul-15
Great one Steke.

30-Jul-15
I posted this to my Facebook page yesterday:

All this social media outrage over the killing of a lion in Zimbabwe is absolutely nuts. First of all, I can not remember a single time that a post has ever hit my feeds, where someone was outraged at the fact that Zimbabwe has the highest mortality rate IN THE WORLD of children under 5. One in eight children in that country die before the age of five. Stop sharing and liking the "Ohh the evil hunter killed Cecil!" for a second and think about that... One in Eight... To add to that horrible fact, according to UNICEF, 24% of the entire population of that country, some 12 million people, are HIV positive... Again, where is the outrage? Where are the daily calls for justice in the social media universe?? I am not particularly a fan of "trophy" hunting, but I am a hunter. I, and millions of other Americans, are ethical hunters and conservationists. It is OUR money that funds the millions of acres of public land that you have the opportunity to hike or bike or take the family on a camping trip. Every piece of hunting, shooting, or archery gear I buy is taxed an additional 11% (The Pittman-Robertson tax). I spend hundreds of dollars every year applying for tags that I know I wont draw, hunting licenses and fishing licenses. I, and others like me, are the reason we have abundant wildlife and places to enjoy nature. Here's something alot of people may not know.... In 2011, Science Magazine noted, based on studies by Nigel Leader-Williams and the Journal of International Wildlife Law and Policy, that the implementation of legalized "trophy" hunting for elephants in Zimbabwe actually doubled the amount of land that was set aside for "wildlife management", stopping habitat loss and actually increasing the elephant population. In 2005, the same group did a study of the impact of trophy hunting in South Africa for the white rhino. They found that private landowners, enticed by the prospect of making money by letting rich Westerners potentially come hunt the rhino, would manage huge tracts of land specifically for the well being of rhinos. White rhinos, which at one point numbered less than 100 animals in South Africa, now number more than 16,000. A large part of that success is due to rich Western "trophy" hunters. Remember, there are alot of horrible, terrible, evil, things that are occurring to children and innocent HUMAN BEINGS, every second, of every day. How about a little outrage for that?

30-Jul-15
I posted this to my Facebook page yesterday:

All this social media outrage over the killing of a lion in Zimbabwe is absolutely nuts. First of all, I can not remember a single time that a post has ever hit my feeds, where someone was outraged at the fact that Zimbabwe has the highest mortality rate IN THE WORLD of children under 5. One in eight children in that country die before the age of five. Stop sharing and liking the "Ohh the evil hunter killed Cecil!" for a second and think about that... One in Eight... To add to that horrible fact, according to UNICEF, 24% of the entire population of that country, some 12 million people, are HIV positive... Again, where is the outrage? Where are the daily calls for justice in the social media universe?? I am not particularly a fan of "trophy" hunting, but I am a hunter. I, and millions of other Americans, are ethical hunters and conservationists. It is OUR money that funds the millions of acres of public land that you have the opportunity to hike or bike or take the family on a camping trip. Every piece of hunting, shooting, or archery gear I buy is taxed an additional 11% (The Pittman-Robertson tax). I spend hundreds of dollars every year applying for tags that I know I wont draw, hunting licenses and fishing licenses. I, and others like me, are the reason we have abundant wildlife and places to enjoy nature. Here's something alot of people may not know.... In 2011, Science Magazine noted, based on studies by Nigel Leader-Williams and the Journal of International Wildlife Law and Policy, that the implementation of legalized "trophy" hunting for elephants in Zimbabwe actually doubled the amount of land that was set aside for "wildlife management", stopping habitat loss and actually increasing the elephant population. In 2005, the same group did a study of the impact of trophy hunting in South Africa for the white rhino. They found that private landowners, enticed by the prospect of making money by letting rich Westerners potentially come hunt the rhino, would manage huge tracts of land specifically for the well being of rhinos. White rhinos, which at one point numbered less than 100 animals in South Africa, now number more than 16,000. A large part of that success is due to rich Western "trophy" hunters. Remember, there are alot of horrible, terrible, evil, things that are occurring to children and innocent HUMAN BEINGS, every second, of every day. How about a little outrage for that?

30-Jul-15
That is 100% correct. In 1999 when I killed my lion on a ranch that bordered Hwange there were old fence posts that were still in the ground there were just remnants of fencing left. You can't fence elephants and Cape buffalo with barb wire.

I personally knew a retired Orthopedic surgeon from W.V. that had hunted Zimbabwe when it was still Rhodesia for years. He bought a 20,000 Ha. Ranch after he retired and was even restocking it with black rhino. Things started getting bad and his wife came back to the states. 6 months later he was found in his land cruiser beside the road with his throat slashed. They "seized" his ranch.

His name was Dr. Roy Raub. I didn't see that splashed across the headlines for days on TV.

30-Jul-15
Yup just an animal. Kind of reminds me of the "hang em" comments when someone poaches an elk or deer. Just an animal.

31-Jul-15
What amazes me the most with the liberal mentality is that they condone a Lion killing in one hand and believe and promote abortion of a innocent human being in the other???

you cant fix stupid!!!!

31-Jul-15

Medicinemann's Link
For everyone's consideration.....written by someone who doesn't "get" big game hunting, no less.....

31-Jul-15
One thing to remember about Cecil he would kill and eat any one he could catch hunter or non hunter. He was a wild animal not a pet.

31-Jul-15
Never did like cats.

31-Jul-15

gobbler's Link
From Zimbabwe news. I don't recall seeing any of these deaths on national news here.

31-Jul-15

gobbler's Link
I didn't see this on CNN either

31-Jul-15

gobbler's Link
Watch what you're doing in the bush!!

31-Jul-15

gobbler's Link
From what I understand from reading the PH and landowner did not have a lion quota for the ranch they were hunting on.

31-Jul-15
Intersting thread. Thanks for the information.

31-Jul-15
Wonder if anybody has any pics from years ago when he took over the pride and killed all the cubs???

Seeing that would throw em all into a Disney induced coma...

01-Aug-15
Glad he's not a trad archer.LOL

His patients can think they were party to this their business helps finance this trip too. Anyone think of that one? LOL

01-Aug-15
TD good news Cecils cubs should survive his brother Jericho is going to take over the pride !

These cats all have names why cause Africa isnt as wild as u think . Research is constant on these critters.

01-Aug-15
I was in Hwange National Park last year. A week prior to my arrival a well known Lion called Old Joe decided he would take a stroll out of the park. While on his little foray he had the opportunity to eat an 11 year old villager. They shot Old Joe and thats just the way it is in Zim. There was nothing in the paper or National News.

01-Aug-15
it has gone beyond reasonable and it is now in the "internet"world, so it will be available to billions of people who all want to offer their opinion. last night I opened the NY Times to find not only an article about the US Wildlife service doing an investigation, but an actual editorial article. It was truly demoralizing

01-Aug-15

KS Flatlander's embedded Photo
KS Flatlander's embedded Photo
What??? Uncle Cecil is dead??

01-Aug-15

Fulldraw1972's embedded Photo
Fulldraw1972's embedded Photo

01-Aug-15
Very good thread.

01-Aug-15
Fulldraw....LOL!

01-Aug-15

arky's MOBILE embedded Photo
arky's MOBILE embedded Photo

01-Aug-15

writer's Link
Didn't take long for businesses to figure out how to make big money off of the emotional hysteria.

I think I'll buy three or four! :-)

• Sitka Gear