Zbone 05-Aug-15
03-Aug-15

DL's Link

03-Aug-15
Thanks for the link

03-Aug-15
Wow! Nice job Time! Good post DL.

03-Aug-15
Wow is right. I haven't peeked into the bowels of a Time magazine in years, but I would not have expected to find that.

03-Aug-15
Hopefully more articles like this that rely on facts rather than emotion will start to appear. KUDUS to time!

03-Aug-15

writer's Link
No, that's impossible.

ALL of the articles written by the media are pure crap, totally blown out of proportion, with no facts, pure crap bleeding heart liberal propaganda designed to get Obama a third term as Hillary's VP. Right guys?

Guess we can't believe Time on this one, huh?

(By the way, this link ran in the state's largest newspaper.)

03-Aug-15
Time had a reasonably pro-hunting feature a year or so ago. Not sure what's gotten into them....

03-Aug-15
I've said it in nearly every Cecil post. The anti's reaction to this is the worst enemy they have. Even liberal media outlets are starting to be repulsed by the outrages, over the top emotional crap these nut bags are screaming. It wouldn't be a bad thing to see them keep the stink up and keep getting more irrational.

As PETA is not yet known as a domestic terrorist group. But, with enough of these reactions we are seeing and reading about, they haven't won any support and, may likely end up listed as one if they keep going. God Bless

03-Aug-15
PETA already is a top 10 terrorist organization.

03-Aug-15
thanks for the link.

03-Aug-15
PeTA already is a terrorist group due to their affiliation with Rodney Adams Coronado (fire bomber)ELF and others. HSUS isn't much different. My kids see their ads on TV on weekends already have them figured out. NOoooo they aren't the same group as your local Animal Humane Society which actually has a shelter and do care for animals.

03-Aug-15
Wow, proves my point, exactly.

04-Aug-15
Nice column writer. Thank you for posting the link.

04-Aug-15
Writer- your article was very well done. I'm surprised they actually let you print that. Makes too much sense! ;-)

04-Aug-15
Well done article Writer. You expressed my thoughts to a tee.

04-Aug-15
Thanks for the link DL, excellent article.

Writer, again excellent piece and well written.

04-Aug-15
Excellent article in Time.

Writer, your article is excellent also. As always your objectivity in your articles is appreciated.

04-Aug-15
Writer,

Would you mind if I used your article for discussion at my Hunter Education class tomorrow? We are talking about ethics.

Keith

04-Aug-15
Great article by Time

04-Aug-15
Rut...we've had hunting stories of the front page quite a few times, even on some weekends which is about as center-stage as it gets.

But that includes covering poaching stories, too.

There are good stories out there. Several years ago I did a story about a tiny Kansas town that rallies around a hunt that brings in kids with life-threatening illnesses. (Many have died within a few years.) The town pays for everything, and the kids are treated like rock stars. They also get to shoot some monster bucks, so they're the hero when they go home. People are wishing they were them, and pumping them up.

We ran it.

A few days later the L. A. Times ran it on their front page.

Guess what group made most of the comments on the article? Antis. Very few hunters logged on for an "atta boy."

Keith, of course that would not be a problem.

04-Aug-15
Very well done Mike. Now if you could just get some answers (as if they can even answer such questions).

04-Aug-15
I'm wondering if some Zimbabwean government official took notice of all the worldwide devotees to this lion and said, "Let's try to extradite this guy and exploit this hunt so that we can get more tourist dollars into the country." I'm fairly sure the government doesn't care if a lion gets killed, but if people around the world start wanting to visit Zimbabwe because of this lion, then they profit.

Just a thought.

04-Aug-15
If Palmer sent 100,000 to Mugabe he would be found innocent of any and all charges. The Governmet there would probably come out with a report that the lion needed to be killed.

04-Aug-15
I can't see how he can even be charged, if he had the proper licences and he was told by the PH it was legal.

04-Aug-15
It's Zimbabwe. The governmet looked the other way when white farmers land was taken over and many were butchered.

04-Aug-15
Great article Writer...Not sure you can be included in the main stream media though. I have been at my parents house twice since this whole Cecil the lion thing blew up. My mother grew up in a home where my grandfather would go to Colorado elk and deer hunting. She still has an elk skin jacket he had made for her with fringe on the sleeves when she was in high school. Just about every family member she has hunts and fishes in one way or another. But yet she has gone off on me twice now about this darn lion in Africa and how it was lured out of the park and shot. She has no idea how large cats are baited and hunted over there. But the news media, which her TV's are on all day, are reporting how this was such a crime. Before her biggest issues were with me falling out of a treestand and getting mauled and injured by those dangerous wild boars in Oklahoma. Again what she seen on TV and by what the media puts out there.

04-Aug-15
Writer- I see now you are in Wichita Kansas? Well, I guess in the heartland you are in friendlier territory. Out here in the Northeast you would have a harder time printing that story.

Boothill- Bob Barker and other "celebrities" are coming out of the woodwork now. He called all hunters "bloodthirsty killers" yesterday and flat out said any big game hunter has a "serious character defect" to do what we do. I wonder what he thinks about rapists, murderers and child predators???!!!!

04-Aug-15
Rut...I wrote for the Wall Street Journal for 15 years, lots of solid hunting/conservation stories...Northeast enough for you? :-)

True, though, out here gun control means, "Hit what you're aiming at."

Also, true, I've worked very hard to educate my bosses and other staffers on hunting/conservation.

All I did, though, is provide them with some facts. They made up their own minds.

The hardest thing to defend, by far, is the hunting of big cats and grizzly bears because of the meat issue.

05-Aug-15
"The hardest thing to defend, by far, is the hunting of big cats and grizzly bears because of the meat issue"

Absolutely. Whether accurate or not, much of the American public views these animals as threatened or under pressure....even endangered. Hunting them for the pure sake of challenge and adventure is often viewed as simply killing for the sake of enjoyment. We know it doesn't stop there, but it's always about perception.

Hunters have largely stood by and let the ARA propaganda machine churn out enough material to affect non-hunters' opinions of hunting these animals. What would happen if hunting these upper echelon species was put to a popular vote here in the US today? I don't want to think about that....because I think we hunters would lose that vote.

05-Aug-15
Yeah, great article by Time...

DL - "It's Zimbabwe. The government looked the other way when white farmers land was taken over and many were butchered."

Remember hearing that about Leo's character's family being slaughtered in Rhodesia in "Blood Diamond". (Great movie, by the way)

I understand the movie was fictional, by didn't realize this event was true...

• Sitka Gear