bghunter 10-Sep-15
Rut Nut 11-Sep-15
Rut Nut 11-Oct-15
tflight 29-Nov-15
09-Sep-15

wild1's Link
Wow.

09-Sep-15
He's one tough son of a gun that's for sure!

09-Sep-15
still managed to pull off an excellent production... Glad he will be ok...

09-Sep-15
Very tough to see his dilemma unfold. If he had cut his femoral he would have had much more difficulty keeping from bleeding out without a tourniquet at least. Really glad to hear he is recovering now. That was a close on for sure.

09-Sep-15
I was surprised he did not try and make a tourniquet. He just kept applying pressure. Glad he is okay and he did well to keep his head together during the whole ordeal. Shawn

09-Sep-15
Can't even watch it! Lucky S.O.B.

09-Sep-15
Well played by Tim.

Things like that can happen, as I can personally attest.

09-Sep-15
He has a great show, never missed one. He still has fun hunting, maybe that's why I like his shows. He will have a scar to remember

09-Sep-15
Wow. I wish him the best at his recovery.

09-Sep-15
go check his site, funny comment facebook and there. Jim Carry pet detective pick of him with spears in his legs, ad Tim laughs .

09-Sep-15
Very unlucky to have it happen. Very luck to survive. Could have gone way worse.

09-Sep-15
Thank god that happened long before the sun went down. I sure wouldn't wanna be immobilized in a pool of blood at night in Africa . Best wishes on a speedy recovery!!

09-Sep-15
Ouch, maybe Tim should stick to the bow, one heck of a shot.

09-Sep-15
I don't watch his show ( or many others ) , but I've seen him shoot, and as LB stated, he is one helluva good shot. Glad he's gonna be ok .

10-Sep-15
Saw the video and wow, that man stayed cool the whole time with a pass through in his leg. I don't know if I could do that and I would bet very few could. He's lucky a big cat didn't come by to investigate the blood, glad he's going to be ok. If you have a radio it is best to keep it on your person, easy to get to.

10-Sep-15
Rather a big cat I think than a pack of hyena or something..... geez...

He's right, passing out he would have let off pressure, bled out and died. Some kind of radio or sat phone possibly a life saver.

Edit: Correction, had radio, likely first aid kit, water, etc. 15 feet up the tree above him. Not sure what exactly may have been done differently other than the weapons totally secured before he climbed down from the tree for the camera. Or bring everything down with you, not likely. Few if any would have thought much about it. I doubt I would have in all honesty.

Great lesson for everyone.

Ya lucky bugger.... not sure which was more dangerous, this or shooting a grizz in the eye with a sharp stick.....

Get well(s) soon. Speedy recovery.

10-Sep-15
Been thinking about getting one of those kits with clotting agents for stopping major blood loss when hunting/backpacking etc. After seeing this, think I will stop at Gander Mtn and Pick one up today. And put it in my fanny pack or cargo pocket of pants.

10-Sep-15
I 100% agree about having your radio or cell(here in states)on your person at all times. I fell while climbing down from a tree to retrieve my finger tab. I had hung my pack and everything in the tree, my cell was in my pack. A step broke from the tree and I was 25ft. off the ground. I hit so hard it dislocated my left shoulder and I almost bit my tongue in two. It took me over an hr. to walk to my parents house and I was only 400 yards away. Tim, did very well to keep his wits about himself but one lesson I take from this, is too make sure you keep any form of communication you have(cell phone, radio transmitter,walkie-talkie) on your person preferably where it is least likely damaged in a fall. Tim's show is one of the few I like on TV. He does a lot with his family and I feel it is good for hunting. Shawn

10-Sep-15

Rut Nut's Link
I have a small waterproof first aid kit that I carry when hunting/hiking/biking but it does not include a trauma kit. I will be picking this one up later today and putting in my pack.

10-Sep-15
WOW!!!!!

This is a good example for why you need to keep your cell phone/radio on your body at all times. If you fall or get injured its not going to do you any good 15 feet in the air.

Glad he's ok. Tough guy for sure.

10-Sep-15
Glad to see he is recovering. He really seemed to remain calm through the whole ordeal. I have always enjoyed his shows.

10-Sep-15
Daayyuuummm, Love Tim and his show. Glad he is OK.

10-Sep-15
Holy crap he was lucky! Can't believe it didn't get his femoral.

10-Sep-15
Whoaa. Thats WAAAAAAYYYY too close to cashin' it in. He is one tough cookie.

Best wishes for a full and fast recovery.

10-Sep-15
Glad he is ok. Few years ago after attending a class on treating trauma, I posted on here about a good trauma pack to include certain clogging agent and a good tourniquet and I got slammed for even mentioning a tourniquet, now everyone is running out to buy a trauma kit.

HOpe everyone stays safe.

10-Sep-15
Did he pull the spear out cause i dought it passed completly through. I always heard it is better to leave object in a wound.

10-Sep-15
From his video it appears as though his spear just broke through the skin on the exit side of the wound and I suspect he had to remove it to even sit down. Just very lucky he didn't severe his Femoral or we might be having very different discussion. Glad he was lucky in this case and I also enjoy his shows.

On another note, most guys don't bother with trying to use their own cellphones in Africa, instead relying on powerful two way radios supplied by the PH. They are generally pretty large, clumsy and heavy. So, if that's what he was using, its no surprise to me he did not hook such a monstrosity onto his belt, but I bet he wished he had!

10-Sep-15
boy, that was close! Glad he is ok and recovering well.

10-Sep-15
bghunter- there is a big difference using direct pressure with a pressure bandage and clotting agent as opposed to applying a tourniquet. Tourniquets are only intended as a last resort when all else fails. Problem is you cut off blood flow to everything below the tourniquet. So you possibly save a life, but more than likely lose the leg/extremity(due to tissue damage from lack of blood flow) below the tournequit unless you can get to a hospital VERY quickly!

I think common wisdom these days says use direct pressure and clotting agent (if you have it) first and then if you still cannot stop or slow the bleeding significantly then use the tourniquet as your last option. And remember, once you apply a tourniquet, you cannot loosen or remove it!

10-Sep-15
Just got a msg from him. Says the leg is getting better. Tuff dude!

10-Sep-15
I'm not so sure that if I was in Africa and found myself in a similar situation that I would want to be rushed to a hospital. The blood supply in Africa is tainted with HIV and other disorders. Another reason to be extra cautious when hunting Africa.

10-Sep-15

Mad_Angler's Link
Rut Nut...

Your tourniquet info was correct. But, new guidelines are different. In Afghanistan, the military learned a lot about tourniquets.

They can be left on longer (several hours) without risk. They also should not be loosened every once in a while as we were taught years ago.

Here is a full link to a scientific study.

10-Sep-15

Mad_Angler's Link
Also, there are new, better touniquets on the market. The military has switched to CAT models

10-Sep-15
thanks for sharing madangeler

on page 39 of your attachment they mention "self-monitoring, intelligent tourniquets that detect arterial flow and accurately record duration of use."

do you have any insight into what these are?

10-Sep-15
That's all it takes. One stupid mistake.

10-Sep-15
Thanks for the links, Mad Angler.

Yes, that was the major point I was trying to make- that once you go with the tourniquet you are committed and must not loosen it. And thus risk tissue death.

And with all due respect, I'm not sure you can compare blast injuries and spontaneous amputations due to IED's/mortars/RPG's to deep lacerations caused by broadheads, knives, spears and axes/hatchets etc......

Also, they talked about the quick evacuation times experienced in the Afganistan theatre as a contributing factor. That may not be the case if you are hunting alone in an isolated area. You may not have anyone to call in a med evac chopper to get you out of there. Like what happened to TIm.

10-Sep-15
at least it didn't hit a little closer to his man hood, that would have changed things. You know how many times I see him put the sheath back on when not in use. Did he have the cam on the spear ?

10-Sep-15
A tourniquet would have caused him to lose his leg in this case. Apparently, he did not knick and artery because if he had, the blood would have squirted 10 feet. When he removed his hand, the blood oozed out which means he hit a fairly large vein. As long as he had good color in his foot, and kept pressure on the laceration he did fine. He is a very lucky man

10-Sep-15
"I'm not sure you can compare blast injuries and spontaneous amputations due to IED's/mortars/RPG's to deep lacerations caused by broadheads, knives, spears and axes/hatchets etc......" You don't need to compare. If you can't CONTROL the bleeding with direct pressure, clotting agents, or any other means, you use a tourniquet - period. If you can't control the bleeding you die. It's not any more complicated than that.

Tim was able to control it. He didn't need a tourniquet.

10-Sep-15
Madangler,

Thank you for the insite Tourquinets have come along ways and alot has been learned. The CAT models are great easy to carry and great to use.

If some would please read into my post, I did not say to apply the tourquinet only to have one as to me a trauma kit is not a trauma kit in my opinion without one.A good kit would include at min Clotting agent, israel bandage, torquinet along with misc other supplies as you see fit for your application.

Rut Nut,

I agree direct pressure to a tourquinet is a hugh differance and in no way close to the same and I would never suggest a touquirnet in place of direct pressure, however when you need a tourquinet you need it, been around more than once when one was needed and you know it.

Best for everyone is to take a good first aid class decide what you what to carry with you depending on what your using it for.

Once again glad he is ok and hope everyone has a safe season.

11-Sep-15
Ok guys- I guess now with further clarification we all seem to agree.

I'm going to check further into these new tourniquets. I always figured in the unlikely event I ever needed one I would just use my belt with a branch or knife handle thru it to twist it tight.

11-Oct-15
The son of a friend of mine just had a bad leg laceration after a fall in the dark on the way out of the woods. Fell on a broken bottle.

Looking into getting a CAT tourniquet and some training. Like some have said above- when you NEED a tourniquet, you need it!

Luckily my friend's son didn't need it. But has really got me thinking. Like my pistol I carry often, I pray to GOD I never need it, but want to have it if I ever DO! ;-)

29-Nov-15
Am I the only one who noticed that sometimes the spear was on the left side of the tree, and sometimes it was on the right side of the tree. Wonder what that was about?

• Sitka Gear