Toby 26-Nov-15
1Arrow 27-Nov-15
1Arrow 27-Nov-15
1Arrow 27-Nov-15
Toby 27-Nov-15
1Arrow 27-Nov-15
10-Nov-15
I hope this is the correct forum....

Looking for any recommendations for outfitted hunts in New Zealand who cater to bowhunters.

Thanks

11-Nov-15
PM me, I lived there and took 3 stags with bow .

11-Nov-15
Check your PMs.

11-Nov-15
will do...thanks

12-Nov-15
anyone else having troubles with pm's?

12-Nov-15
extreme predator pm sent...not sure it worked tho.

medicine man....i can't seem to get my pm's

if you would be kind enough...maybe resend to my email?

[email protected]

thanks

12-Nov-15
extreme predator, I also sent you a PM but am not sure if it went through or not

12-Nov-15
Is New Zealand red stag info so top secret that it can only be shared thru pm and not on a open forum? Is there a Red Stag society with a secret handshake and a decoder ring with meetings on the third full moon of the year?

12-Nov-15
Look at the outfitter portion of the site. I recently contacted Bowhunting Safari Consultants (Bowsite sponsor) about the same thing and they sent me a catalog with recommendations. Terrific service. I was a little surprised to see that 99% of all red stag in NZ is high fence. That being said thousands of acres in high fence. Just so you know.

12-Nov-15
yup...i did know that....but when in Rome haha....thats why I resisted South Africa for so long....but I went a little over a year ago....and it was awesome... for my budget etc...I learned to get over it....I really only saw the fence upon entering... But thanks for the heads up...I'd hate to not know that until arrival!

ps- I have a catalog coming from them...top notch folks to wotk with....I still like first hand tidbits tho

12-Nov-15
as a nz local I bristled at this quote "when in Rome haha....thats "...... very few to no kiwi hunters hunt high fence, there are plenty of free range deer just not the genetically engineered hormone boosted monsters available on the safari blocks..

12-Nov-15
interesting...westcoast...I guess I just based it on the outfitter based operations I see offering hunts to non-resident....do you know if there are any outfits that offer free range hunts for non -residents.

I didnt mean to insult any local resident hunters...I'll admit I know very little of what appears to be a great country...its a long ways from my home on the east coast of Canada....but thanks for letting me know ....

12-Nov-15
BEA,

Alot of the outfitters offer free range. I hunted with New Zealand trophy hunting and they were great. i hunted HF, but he does free range too.

12-Nov-15
Thanks

12-Nov-15
Waterfowler,

PM sent.....now you have the secret handshake....you are on your own for the decoder ring....

20-Nov-15

1Arrow's embedded Photo
1Arrow's embedded Photo
BEA, I used Scott Thomson from Southern Hunting Safaris for Red Stag in 2012 and just hunted with him again in 2015 for Bull Tahr. Super guy. He has free range as well as Estate Red Stag. I felt the Estate deer were just as fair chase as the free range and took one of each. Similar to South Africa. Probably varies by outfitter. Bull Tahr was definately free range. I also use Bowhunting Safaris but for New Zealand went with Scott as I had been introduced to him by a reference who had hunted with him in 2010. Attached a few pics.

20-Nov-15

1Arrow's embedded Photo
1Arrow's embedded Photo
Here is the Free Range Stag, the one above scored 402.

20-Nov-15

1Arrow's embedded Photo
1Arrow's embedded Photo
If you have time try for Bull Tahr and Arapawa Ram. They also have Chamois but with bow that can take some time.

20-Nov-15

1Arrow's embedded Photo
1Arrow's embedded Photo
Here is the Bull Tahr, expect longer shots with them because of the terrain, not much cover the higher up you go. Scott has some areas where you can get them in the brush but it is so thick you can't close on them so you still have to take what they give you. Very fun stalk.

Great place to visit too so if you can plan a few days to site see in New Zealand. Kiwi's are great folks. Scott took me to see a local Canteberry Rugby team play. His hunts are on the South Island.

20-Nov-15
I hunted with Shane Johnston of 4 Seasons Safaris, twice because once is just not enough.

Enjoy!

20-Nov-15
Thanks for the tips/leads. I'll be sure to check them all out.....

20-Nov-15
i am going with Kiwi safaris trough Neil of BSC in May 2016

20-Nov-15
If you want a super rush, hunt the red deer during the roar. Not sure when exactly that is in NZ, but when I hunted free range ones in Australia it was early March. Being close to a roaring stag is every bit as thrilling as with bull elk.

20-Nov-15
Jaquomo x 2. Hunting them during the roar is not something to be missed.

If you want some background on hunting the south island, check a 2013 thread entitled "cabin fever.....how about a NZ bowhunt?".... Or something like that.....

20-Nov-15
I hunted just after st Patrick's day during the roar it was awesome to bad lost all the video

20-Nov-15
I hunted just after st Patrick's day during the roar it was awesome to bad lost all the video

20-Nov-15
Peak Roar in New Zealand should be around the last two weeks of March, give or take a week. They roar ALL day, much more than Elk bugle and as Jaquomo said it is a super rush.

21-Nov-15
Way nice 1Arrow!

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

21-Nov-15
thanks....the more i think about this trip....the more pumped I'm getting

25-Nov-15
BEA, I'm sure you'll have a great trip. I don't have any outfitter recommendations but if you have any questions about NZ I'm happy to help. BTW peak roar can be at slightly different times through out the country but its generally two weeks from very late March.

26-Nov-15
thanks for all the tips and leads

26-Nov-15
1Arrow, what a nice trophies did you got!!! I like the thar and the red stag. Which broadhead did you use?

27-Nov-15
Thanks Toby. I used good old Thunderhead 100s. Have used them on South African game too. Never had a reason to cuss em'. Always great results.

27-Nov-15
Thanks Toby. I used good old Thunderhead 100s. Have used them on South African game too. Never had a reason to cuss em'. Always great results.

27-Nov-15
Toby, I saw your post on the Black Wildebeest...nice animal. Did you by chance take that at Tshepe Safaris? The hide in the background of one of your pics looked familar. It was on another thread.

27-Nov-15
Yes 1Arrow, I got it with Cobus at Tshepe very nice operation and nice people to hunt with i was planning to use Muzzy or rage for my Thar and Red Stag in New Zealand. Used to hunt with Thunderhead, they are very good broadheads, but now I have about 2 new package of Muzzy and rage (they were a gift) so i am planning to use them.

27-Nov-15
Thought I recognized that Termite Mound hide. :-) Yes, Cobus and his crew at Tshepe are super. Cobus is like Peyton Manning calling audibles at the line of scrimmage. He knows his hunting areas and puts people in the best spot to try and get a chance at what they are hunting. Did you hunt with Marius or Roland as PHs?

Well good luck. I'm sure the Muzzy's will work well but remember, 'if it ain't broke then what are you fixing' What's the cost of a six pack of Thunderhead replacement blades? $20 bucks top on ebay? Definately stick with fixed blade Toby. Never heard anyone complain about their fixed blade broadhead not opening or doing the job. Yes they work when they open but who wants to roll those dice. Hope you get some big-uns on your trip to New Zealand. If you haven't picked an outfitter Scott Thomson is great from Southern Hunting Safaris on the South Island. Tell him George sent you.

• Sitka Gear