standswittaknife 12-Feb-16
DL 12-Feb-16
Wayne Helmick 12-Feb-16
DL 12-Feb-16
JohnB 12-Feb-16
09-Feb-16

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Like a mad momma elephant . This buffalo got too close to her calf. There's a picture after this with the buff on the ground and mom putting the old head crush on it.

09-Feb-16

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo

09-Feb-16
They are the single most dangerous terrestrial mammal on earth.....even worse than a bull, according to many african PH's.....

Judging from the photo, doesn't it look like the cape buffalo is actually being gored (and held up off of the ground) by the right tusk? Damn!!

10-Feb-16
I don't know how some of those guys stand there ground when one charges. I've seen video of one charging and getting within 20 yds before stopping. The ph commented that he knew it was just a warning and never raised his gun. Of course every couple of years I hear about a hunter or PH being killed by one.

10-Feb-16
Apparently, "dangerous game" is a term relative to the hunter.

11-Feb-16
It's the African equivalent of Von Miller sacking Cam Newton..... Sorry, couldn't help myself...

11-Feb-16
This is funny because I saw this on facebook and in that picture (which was otherwise identical to the first) you can see a tusk protruding from up close to the bull's spine. Apparently someone didn't think the picture was cool enough as it was and photoshopped in a tusk pass-through. I thought it seemed like a pretty long tusk for a cow.

11-Feb-16
Id say by the dirt flying in the first pic that the buff is in motion and not hanging there.

11-Feb-16
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/massive-elephant-flings-buffalo-air-article-1.2515480

11-Feb-16
Wow, THROWING a buffalo, that's pretty impressive!

11-Feb-16
That IS AWESOME!

11-Feb-16
That cinches it up. I'm leaving the elephants alone.

11-Feb-16
Just wait till PETA hears about this situation !!!

11-Feb-16
It's pretty convincing... though I do have a few questions...

1) What is that chunk of turf doing there? (and why is it nowhere to be seen in the first pic posted to this thread?)

2) Why such a square shape to it?

3) Where did the buff's left foreleg go?

4) Why is there no blood on that arrah?

11-Feb-16

Zbone's Link
check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkqh2sRFeOU

11-Feb-16
Zbone's link just proves that Mother Nature can be more cruel than humans. Looked like to me the buffalo was minding her own affairs.

11-Feb-16
Minding her own affairs, but there was something really wrong with her, too.... Maybe the elephant knew she'd draw predators to the area? That would be an intriguing finding....

FWIW - not questioning whether such things happen... just had a few questions about the pics around the incident at the top...

11-Feb-16
I don't know how those pro hunters stand their ground during a charge from one of those. I'd need a new pair of pants. Hell of a rush I bet!

12-Feb-16
The elephant could have been going through Musth.

from wikepedia

Musth or must /?m?st/ is a periodic condition in bull (male) elephants, characterized by highly aggressive behavior and accompanied by a large rise in reproductive hormones. Testosterone levels in an elephant in musth can be as much as 60 times greater than in the same elephant at other times. However, whether this hormonal surge is the sole cause of musth, or merely a contributing factor, is unknown. Scientific investigation of musth is problematic because even the most placid elephants become highly violent toward humans and other elephants during musth.

12-Feb-16
wow....

12-Feb-16

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Here's why She's a mad mother

12-Feb-16
"Musth or must /?m?st/ is a periodic condition in bull (male) elephants"

Mint, Good theory, except it's a cow. Just Mama protecting baby as alluded to in the original post. Very impressive display of power.

12-Feb-16
Those young uns got an education they won't forget.

Another one that fascinates me is the relationship between hippos and crocs. Crocs will eat a dead hippo. I've seen videos of a mother hippo pushing her baby into and in between crocs and they don't touch it. Somewhere back in history a croc went after a baby hippo and must've got the livin you know what ripped out of it. Something that was so vivid that even an ancient pea brained lizard remembers.

12-Feb-16
I still hope someday Pat and Jake get to hunt them someday hopefully with a PH that's a good shot. I don't think I would have the stones to stand that close to such a beast.

• Sitka Gear