Keith in colorado 13-Jun-16
Keith in colorado 13-Jun-16
Somersbow 13-Jun-16
Second Shot 13-Jun-16
Keith in colorado 14-Jun-16
Second Shot 14-Jun-16
Keith in colorado 14-Jun-16
03-May-16
Leaving the end of may for our first Trip to Africa, going to be in the Queensland area for 8 days of hunting plains game. After that we go to Cape Town for 4 days of fun. Any last minute advice for nubes? hat to not forget, what is a must see, must do?

03-May-16
Queensland, South Africa....? I'm confused.

03-May-16
Yes

03-May-16
Keith,

Do you have an organized tour planned in Cape Town, or are you doing your own thing? There are some very good tour companies that can provide private guided tours at very reasonable rates with lodging, meals, transportation, and all of the excursions included. PM me if you are interested in this option. I know a guy...

Regardless, the Cape Town area is a cool place with lots to do and see. Musts for me anyway would be cage diving in Gansbaai with the great whites, a tour of Cape Point Peninsula Park, a trip of one of the penguin colonies, a trip to the top of Table Mountain, and a trip through the mountains to the wine lands... There is a lot more than that... You can't possibly see it all in 4 days. You will have to prioritize...Have a great trip!

03-May-16
We leave June 8, for our first trip. So I'll be watching this thread with interest. . .

We're set up with African Sky for our Cape Town tours. We're pretty stoked. . .

Have fun!

03-May-16
wow... bunch of us going around the same time.. I'm leaving the 3rd, plains game hunting in Zululand 5-12th (bow), then Cape Town the 13-17th... 3 tours planned with the wifey... Cape point, winelands, and half day bus tour of the city itself.. supposed to hit a penguin colony on the way back from the point... I'm stoked for the entire trip.... wifey is looking forward to Cape Town.. ;)

03-May-16
Im going june 2 with barefoot

04-May-16
Yes, we are going with 2 tours in cape town, The Cape Peninsula tour and shark diving, Very stoked!

04-May-16
Do you mean "Queenstown" ....? (as apposed to "Queensland")...?

08-May-16
Probably!!! LOL

16-May-16
Hey Keith,

We just got back from 3 weeks over there...spent several days in Cape Town and did some tours. That sure is an awfully pretty city with lots to do. The Cape Peninsula is beautiful, you will really enjoy that. We also did Robben Island, some wine tasting...etc...the usual tourist stuff. Have a blast.

16-May-16
Pics would be awesome Peyton! We are at 9 days and counting and getting very excited!

16-May-16

Peyton in Fairbanks's embedded Photo
Sure thing! Here ya go!

V&A Water front...Cape Town

16-May-16

16-May-16

16-May-16

Views from Signal Hill...Table Mountain was only open one day and we were booked for other tours so we didn't make it up...still a great view though!

16-May-16

16-May-16

16-May-16

On the way out to Robben Island...

16-May-16

Stellenbosch...wine country. The weather was crappy but we had a great day.

16-May-16

16-May-16

16-May-16

16-May-16

16-May-16

16-May-16
Awesome, keep them coming!

16-May-16

16-May-16

16-May-16

16-May-16

The trip to Robben Island was well worth it...a lot of history on that little island.

16-May-16

Mandella's cell...

16-May-16

16-May-16

We hunted for 10 days in the Eastern Cape...all free range. I can post pics of course but it was all rifle hunting. We had a blast...couldn't have been a better trip. It was my 5th time over there and I have to say it was really nice getting out of the blind, away from the water holes and hunting free range spot and stalk the whole time. I love bow hunting over there and have had some awesome trips with Ken Moody and Dries Visser bow hunting, and I'm not knocking it at all...it was just a nice change of pace. We walked a couple miles a day, saw the country...too much fun.

We drove from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth, over nighting in Mossel Bay along the way. The coastal towns are really pretty...would love to spend more time there one of these days. It was a fantastic trip!

16-May-16

16-May-16

16-May-16

16-May-16

16-May-16

16-May-16

16-May-16

16-May-16

16-May-16
We will be on the east cape as well hunting with Hunters Hill safaris. When I was looking for a place to go our goal was finding a place that let us stalk as well as water holes. This fit the bill, 90,000 acres of spot and stalk with a bow! Then onto cape town! Those pics are AWESOME and really got me excited!

16-May-16
I wish you the best of luck buddy! You will have a great time no matter what. I can tell you that where we were hunting...near Grahamstown...there was water everywhere. It rained a little while we were there too. But there was standing water in quite a few places.

The Eastern Cape sure is pretty...enjoy it!

16-May-16

Eastern Cape country...

16-May-16

16-May-16

16-May-16
Those are sheep...lots of sheep ranches.

16-May-16

16-May-16

16-May-16

16-May-16

16-May-16

16-May-16

16-May-16

16-May-16
That's a low sheep fence too...no high fences where we were hunting.

Dang Keith...I feel like I hijacked your thread but...you said you wanted some pics! haha...

16-May-16
Neat thread and photos. Lots of memories for me in the Capetown/ wine country photos- beautiful photos.

This may be your first trip, but I bet truth be known, you are already thinking about getting the money together for your RETURN trip !!

16-May-16
Peyton, thank you for the hijack!!! I shared it with the guys going with me and this was awesome!

17-May-16
No sweat brother...hard to figure out which pics to post because I took so many!

We also went to Addo Elephant Park and Scotia Game Reserve. Now...Addo may be more famous but we had a blast at Scotia. I even had an elephant touch my GoPro with his trunk! It was awesome!

17-May-16
PiF,

Very nice photos! Southern Africa has so much more to offer than just the fantastic hunting.

17-May-16
great pics :)

17-May-16

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Nice pics Peyton! We were in Capetown last July & had a great time. The sunsets there are second to none!

Keith...We did a helicopter tour around Capetown & it was well worth the money IMO. The only negative about Capetown from my perspective was that it is a very liberal city. Lots of statues, plaques, etc. to Mandela. They treat him like a god there as opposed to how most of the farmers, outfitters, etc. viewed him. They can't stand him.

17-May-16

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
You need to go here!

17-May-16

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Be sure and get some "Monkey Gland" flavored potato chips! (no joke)

They tasted similar to BBQ to me.

17-May-16

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Have fun & stay safe!

18-May-16
You guys are AWESOME! Not gonna be able to sleep

18-May-16
Don't worry, you won't be able to sleep when you get there either! We were up at 2 am for the first few days!...Lots of cricket and rugby on t.v. then...and...Ellen! Haha

19-May-16
Ok, ellen? Now my excitement is waning!

19-May-16
20 days for me. Can't wait.

Love the pics!

20-May-16
At least it was in English! Haha

20-May-16
Peyton,

Do you know the story of your photo with all of the different colored houses?

21-May-16
Yes...the residents of that neighborhood are some of the descendants and original residents of District 6...a neighborhood that was forcibly moved by the government during the apartheid days. The neighborhood is made of up a lot of different colored residents...Indian, Muslim...lots of places. The colors of the houses reflect the diversity of the people who live in the neighborhood.

I know there is more to it than that...but that is the short version I remember.

21-May-16
I was told that the people in this neighborhood (mostly Muslim) who were under the duress of apartheid days celebrated their freedom by painting their houses in different colors. When under apartheid, they were all required to paint their houses a standard white color. Guess it gave a new meaning to a neighborhood with covenants !!!

Interesting part of town and story behind the houses. I was amazed at the high Muslim population in Capetown and the long history of Muslims the South African region.

South Africa region is such an interesting part of the world.

22-May-16
That could very well be. I know the people who originally lived in the neighborhood came from District 6 when they were kicked out. But yea...lots of interesting history!

25-May-16
RSA, 9 provinces, reaching 4 DIFFERENT environments max. in 4 hours drive, beautiful girls, excellent wines and brandy, biltong, rugby and BBQ and yes, Simba chips that are monkey gland flavour...SA - not to bad hey?

25-May-16
We leave in the morning! Stoked!

25-May-16
Thanks for all the pics guys, we leave two weeks from today.

I wish I was caught up with work. . .that would relieve some stress level in the next two weeks :)

27-May-16
Haha...Simba chips. Yea...I took a picture of a bag of those!

27-May-16
“The only man I envy is the man who has not yet been to Africa – for he has so much to look forward to.”

Richard Mullin

13-Jun-16
Back yesterday! Trip of a LIFETIME!!! Will post pics once I get them all downloaded!

13-Jun-16

Keith in colorado's embedded Photo
My sons eland

13-Jun-16

My wart hog

13-Jun-16

My Kudu

13-Jun-16
Funny looking warthog! Congrats on the trip. Looking forward to more pics.

13-Jun-16
Hummmm. I seen similar wart hogs in Michigan I guess... LOL. Looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing the story. I leave in 45 days for RSA for the first time. I can't wait.

14-Jun-16
I have no idea where that pic came from!!!

14-Jun-16
Now that you are back and your trip is fresh in your mind. What would you do different? What did you take that you did not need? What didn't you take that you wish you would have?

14-Jun-16
Ya know, I had just the right amount of clothes so that was not a big deal, my phone charger died but luckily my sons works on my phone and tablet too. Broke my glasses first day, but had back up. I used the portable bow press I took as well. One thing I would take next time, gifts for the PH and trackers. Stuff they cant get easily, pocket knives, or stuff with your state logo on it. I took 2 pocket knives and gave them both away to the trackers

17-Jun-16
Glad you guys had a great trip Keith! Very cool!

• Sitka Gear