Snizzler 01-Oct-08
Pa Teeny 01-Oct-08
Knife2sharp 01-Oct-08
Meleagris1 01-Oct-08
12 points 01-Oct-08
Knife2sharp 01-Oct-08
Mark Seeley 01-Oct-08
19-Jun-05
Which pop-up blind would you say is the best and which one is the best value for your dollar? Also which one is the easiest to put up?

19-Jun-05
double bull worth every penny go with the T2 they weigh 12 lbs. and are very roomy and fast to set up. without a doubt try one u will love it.

19-Jun-05
I'm trying to get a decent blind too without spending too much money right now. I was looking at the brickhouses also.

For a blind to work though, can you just have open windows, or do you have to have a mesh to shoot through. I know with turkeys that you need the shoot through mesh but will a muley or whitetail deer really notice that much as long as you're still and draw back at the right time.

19-Jun-05
I agree with 18javelin-spend the money on the Double Bull. The quality is awesome and they will last forever! Never had a problem with any of mine! Customer service is second to none if you happen to have a problem.

19-Jun-05
the T2 double bull goes for 250 to 300 and it weighs 12 lbs. the lightest and biggest 35 sq. ft. floor space and turkeys are not what u need screens for its whitetails they can be VERY weeery of a blind brush it in good and no BLACK HOLES the turkey dont care BL. HOLES OR not it will pay for it self in energy left after carrying a BRICK HOUSE all day they call them that cause they weigh as much as one. LOL the BH is good blind but heavy and make darn sure they dont shine in the sun.

19-Jun-05
Double bull all the way. The quiet (silent) windows seal the deal. With the mesh in place, you can open or close them without spooking game. Not so with other brands I've tried. The phrase "for the money" really strikes home when you have game in range and can do nothing about it because you can't open a noisy window in a cheaper blind. The money seems pretty insignificant at a moment like that. Double Bull for me.

20-Jun-05
NO CONTEST. It is NOT a Double Bull. It is the Ground Max Escape DX. This blind is made just like a double bull only better. It is only 1/3 the price. $150. Do yourself a favor and check them out before you spend all your hard earned $$ on a Double Bull. http://www.big-gameusa.com/escapedx.html

21-Jun-05
I know DB's are the best but last year I got the Ameristep Doghouse reversible and like it a lot. It's much roomier than the old doghouse. It was about $160.

21-Jun-05
Rick, I repsectfully disagree. Tell me what about a Double Bull that is made better than the Escape DX. Everything I could see is just as good. It sets up easier than a Double Bull. It is a fantastic blind and only costs $150. And in case you are wondering, I have no connection to the company. By the way, the only Double Bull I have used is the IP5 but I have at least setup the other Double Bulls. The Escape opens and closes much easier.

Jim

21-Jun-05
jtek,

I went to the web site and they mention something about a scent elimination coating. How does that work? Is it an activated charcoal or something. How does it get recharged/refreshed after absorbing human odors?

21-Jun-05
I agree with whoever said that turkeys don't worry about the black holes. If you search for brickhouse in the forums I have a picture I took during turkey season from my Brickhouse with turkeys and deer within 17 yards at the same time. The doe WAS focused on the black hole, but her curiosity got the better of her.

That being said, I would order one of the instructional DVDs from Double Bull (free with purchase like "Another Year on the Ground Part IV". Watch the DVD and then decide. I LIKE the DBs, I just don't see me utilizing it enough to justify it when I spent $79 on my Brickhouse on clearance at Wal Mart.

dustyvarmint

21-Jun-05
Rick, Sorry but they are now supposed to be black inside according to their site. The one I used was not but still was able to draw on at least 8 turkeys at point blank range without getting spotted and this was without mesh. Shot one Tom and missed his partner a minute later.

IMHO camo patterns are higly overrated. I had 2 trophy class bucks walk right past me at 15 yards while turkey hunting. I even made a practice draw on them without aiming right at them and I did not have the window mesh installed.

I can hear ya a bit on the Double Bull being the first of this style but doubt it comes close to justifying 3 times the price. Must not be infringing on their patents either. I won't give them $450 for the same thing or maybe not even as good a thing.

Setup a escape and you will find it easier than a Double Bull.

I just have to ask, do you work for Double Bull or have family that does? Otherwise, why would anyone pay 3x the price for the same quality product.

Only MHO and I have been wrong before.

Jim

21-Jun-05
Flatbow, A lot of blinds are now coming in scent control forms. I can't see how any of them can work either.

Jim

21-Jun-05
The question was, what is the best blind for the money. Not, what is the best blind. I have owned the Ameristep Brickhouse for a year. I love it. The inside of mine IS black. You can buy 3 of them for the price of one DB. Yes, they are a knock off of the DB, but it is a very good knock off.

I broke 2 of the fiberglass poles in mine one day. I e-mailed Ameristep. They had a new set of poles at my house in 3 days free of charge. Great customer service.

It also has a camo bag that you carry it in that has 2 back pack straps that make it very easy to carry. Easier than my Lone Wolf tree stand. The DB has a carry bag also but it only has one back pack strap.

21-Jun-05
Save your money and get a Double Bull. I had to hunt off the ground for the past year due to major back surgery. I didn't miss a beat in my DB blind. I have too many buddies that went the cheap route and had deer or turkeys get boted due to wind flap, velcro or zippers at the moment of truth.

21-Jun-05
I have the T5 Double Bull blind and really like it. Last year I was very curious about the Brickhouse and found one on a closeout deal for $99. It was the Mossy Oak Break-Up camo with black backing. The ONLY two things better about them when comparing them to a Double Bull is the case/bag and the price. The camo on this blind was really dark - it might as well have been completely black. The material is a nylon type material that has a sheen look to it when the sun hits it. One thing about them that is absolutely TERRIBLE when compared to the Double Bull is the design of their windows. The velcro on the Brickhouse really bites. On my Double Bull I can open and close the windows on the back side as game is approaching. If for some reason I need to open one back up I can do so without making any noise. I bought the Brickhouse blind thinking I might turn around and sell my Double Bull - but I returned the Brickhouse the next day and kept the Double Bull. I won't even look anymore. BTW - I thought Double Bull did have a patent on their frame system on their earlier models and was always curious how these other companies got away with building knock-offs of their design.

21-Jun-05
double bull

22-Jun-05
Rick,

No doubt the Double Bull set the mark for blinds. I greatly value your opinion as no one should get more feed back than a dealer. Thanks for all your input. I'll have to weigh the $150 vs $450 some more before my next majopr purchase. Right now I am 1/2 owner of a Escape DX so more testing will get done.

Good hunting to you.

Jim

22-Jun-05
The silent windows and heavier, duller fabric alone are worth the extra price to me. OBTW my new Matrix cost $399 not $450.

hd

22-Jun-05
Double bull all the way. I have taken turkey and deer in Alabama with mine.

22-Jun-05
the T2 250 to 300 and only two hubs try one at 12 lbs. they cant be beat. they set up in 10 seconds and are roomy 35 sq. feet floor space. DB rocks

22-Jun-05
i too have a db t2 and use it mostly for turkeys,this year i was lucky enough to take a really nice tom out of it, anyway every time i turkey hunt with someone new that has anything less than a db they swear that by next year they too will own one, they are more money but you get what you pay for! kind of like compareing any old white tail hunter bow to a new bow tech allegiance their isn't a comparison! -jason

22-Jun-05
I went for the doublebull on the recomendation of my guide. My friend has another companys blind and the quality is far below my doublebull. If you can afford the money for the doublebull then I would get it.

22-Jun-05
10-4 on that i to got a tom with a bow and the guys that hunt with me say the same so 10-4 good buddy and rodger the Double bulls they are the best. my girlfriend got one this year also and she packed the blind in a set up her self altough it was with a gun and man do they put some BIG HOLES in the screen. but it was worth all 18 lbs. of Jake she got. im proud of her. and the double bull guys to build one so light and easy even a first timer can do.

23-Jun-05
Brick House.....hands down best buy for the $$$....DB's would be a good buy if they could sell one for $ 200....but I really love my BH !!!

23-Jun-05
I bought an Ameristip Big House because I shoot a longbow. I got it fo $140. It goes up easy, and after I cut off their edge camo, it stays nice and tight. I bought their Tangle camo and it seems to work fine. Haven't had much chance to use it yet, but I'm looking forward to using it this coming year.

I was close to buying a DB but I got to thinking about leaving it set up someplace after brushing it in and having some yahoo come by and steal it. If that's going to happen, I'd a lot sooner lose $140 than $450.

LBB

23-Jun-05
I have not seen anyone mention the Eastman Venture with the safai system/carbon lining. I hunted and harvested a turkey out of it on my second sit. I really think the safari system will help it blend in during deer season. I bought one due to not wanting to pay the higher cost of the double bull. The material is not as "tough" as the double bull, but this think dollar for dollar is a value. I have hunted out of double bulls more than the eastman but have nothing but good things to say about both. It is just that you get what you pay for. Both will get the job done.

ckc

23-Jun-05
Gota link on that eastman??

24-Jun-05
I sent Ground Max Escape DX people and e-mail to find a dealer in my area or the prices. That was a few days ago and I haven't heard a reply yet.

24-Jun-05
Cabelas & Sportsman's Warehouse both carry the Ground Max Escapes.

24-Jun-05
Ya know what they say, "once ya go DoubleBull, ya won't go back".....er, maybe that was something else besides DoubleBull...LOL....but, I have seen some in our hunting group try the lesser blinds, spend 100-150 dollars, but then they all went and spent another 395 to buy a Double Bull!!!!....so for the ones that buy cheap, realize their mistake and then buy the best, well....they DO SPEND more!!!....than the people who go with the BEST right off the bat...

Someone earlier said something about a Bear Whitetail bow vs BowTech bow....and he couldn't have been more CLEAR than that...they both kill deer but they are nowhere close in performance and quality....

So...after trying other people blinds out with them, I will stick with the most quality, nicest, tightest blind around....DOUBLE BULL!!!!

24-Jun-05
Double Bull is the best, Brickhouse is the best for the money.

If you're looking for just one blind to use all over the place for the next decade, I'd get the Double Bull.

If you really want to add ground hunting to your repotoire, and setup 3 to 5 semi-permanent ground blinds every season, then I'd get a bunch of Brickhouses (unless you've got the money to buy that many DBs).

1 great blind, or 2 pretty good ones?

They both need to be brushed in for whitetail - at least where I hunt. I've tested this with trail cameras. The deer will get used to them after a while - but it can take weeks.

Opening the Windows to adjust to game is not a good strategy with either - too easy to get busted where I hunt. You can peek out the DB Windows, but don't expect to open a Double Bull shooting window and have a mature whitetail at 20 yards not notice. Sure, it could happen, but you'll usually get busted screwing with Windows when the deer are close.

Double Bull's have better concealment overall, can withstand being brushed in heavily better and are much quieter.

I think the Brickhouse is a little easier to setup because the material isn't as heavy...But neither are hard and both will go up in seconds. The taller recurve models are harder to set up.

I'd stay away from the T2, and stick with the T5/BS5/matrix style with 4 side hubs and a top.

The T2 sets up incredibly easily and fast, but it's too small unless you're relatively short and have a short draw...Some big guys can fit into size medium T-shirts, but I think of the T2 kind of like a medium sized T-shirt...Too small for most, although some guys might be able to make it work.

24-Jun-05
Benton, well said.

27-Jun-05
If you got plenty of extra cash, buy a Double Bull. If you cash is limited then spend wisely. I hope no one would argue the merits of buying a blind that costs 1/2 what the DB does so you can afford a some decent arrows and broadheads. I drive a Ford ranger. It is not the 4x4 a Hummer is, but I with the savings I can what is needed to hunt, bow, arrows, gas, camo....

27-Jun-05
The T2 has more sq. foot of floor space check the info they are plenty big enough for two im 6'2" and 220 lbs and i fit fine even with another hunter BOW hunting and Video . So it is 5' by 7' floor space and the roof has a broken outline and weighs 12 lbs, with two hubs so it sets up easier argue with them FACTS and it hard to see why they are the cheapest double bull out there if you ask me. the others are 4 hubs 5'x5' and weigh in at awhopping 18-19 lbs. get real and try one before u try to fry one.

27-Jun-05
How would the T2 be for a longbow shooter?

27-Jun-05
This was what I got and I like it very much. It wasent the exspencive stuff and it wasent junk,I figure I did all right ;)

Ameristep Doghouse Blind Tangle

Item Number : BLI2260604 Unit Price: $89.99 Detailed Description Doghouse blind features Edge ReLeaf, Durashell, Shadow Guard, TSC compatible (kit not included), Window tie-downs, Shoot through mesh, stakes and high wind tie downs, four windows/three portholes and a backpack carrying case. Blind Dimensions are 60" square x 68" tall and is wheel chair accessible. Weighs 14 lbs. Ameristep Tangle Camouflage.

ITEM:BLI2260604

© 2005 Keystone Country Store, All Rights Reserved.

28-Jun-05
the T2 is too short for long bow probably. youll need to go withe a recurve model t5 or import db they are taller but weigh more also.

30-Sep-08
elkhunter i hunt alabama too whats your set up

30-Sep-08
matrix,,,, plus whenever you feel like selling it you can get most of your money back--> if you do feel like selling it!

30-Sep-08
I've hunted out of all of the Double Bull blinds and I personally like the ASAT Quicke blind.

Great options. It's cheaper, but I think it's better than any of the Doube Bulls that cost twice as much.

30-Sep-08
I've hunted out of double bulls and was not impressed. I would definitely go with the ASAT blind or the groundmax escape deluxe even if they were priced the same as the DB. The DB is heavy, bulky, and one of the most over-rated hunting products on the planet IMO.

30-Sep-08
Holy resurected post, Batman!

01-Oct-08
I doubt elkhunter even remembers writing his post after over 3 years. I was reading through there wondering why I didn't say anything about the matrix or darkhorse til I realized most of the thread occurred before either of them were invented.

01-Oct-08
I would have to say the Ground Max Vision made just like the dark horse but way way cheaper pleanty of room for 3.

01-Oct-08
I agree. The ground max blinds have came a long way and for the money they are very hard to beat

rick

01-Oct-08
Since this was started I have obtained two Eastman Magnum ground blinds and absolutely love them. They are tall enough that I can hold my arms over my head to reach the top hub. they have great shooting windows and a huge door that you can carry stuff through. For the money they are the best of the market. I have been using two of them for two years and they only cost me $115 each. Very tough and will stand up to more snow than my double bull. I still use my double bull but feel cramped in it after being in the Easton Magnum. I am lucky and can leave my ground blinds set up but they are easy to take down and set up if necessary.

01-Oct-08
What do youb guys think of the Darkhorse? I'm thinking of getting one. I need a blind big enough for 2 adults and gear. Does the darkhorse have straps to attach brush?

01-Oct-08
Save up until you can get a Double Bull Dark Horse. No other blind compares.

01-Oct-08

Pa Teeny's embedded Photo
Pa Teeny's embedded Photo
Primos Eclipse $120.00

Here is my son 8years old with his turkey he shot calling his mom.

The blind is in the back... There were 4 jakes on the gas line...I was worried he would kill all 4 they were that close to each other.

01-Oct-08
The problem with the Dark Horse and/or Matrix is the window is extremely low.

The best thing about the ASAT Quickie is all the windows have removeable shoot through netting along with silent flaps. You have a lot of different ways to customize. For turkeys you can remove a netting or two and leave the flaps full up ope or partial. And with the windows higher you can look out without crouching over.

I didn't realize this was so old. I'm surprised a newer one wasn't found, there was one this spring.

01-Oct-08
Kinfe the Matrix window is quite adjustable. You can adjust it to almost any height you want. How can you say it is too low? When hunting in hilly terrain, the ability to raise or lower the window opening is invaluable.

As far as mesh, you can just as easily push the mesh up on the Matrix.

I bought a ASAT Quickie for a buddy of mine as a present. Its a great blind especially for the money, but I would never trade my Matrix for one.

01-Oct-08
I own 4 blinds.....2 DBs, 1 Escape DX and 1 cheapie from Sportsman Guide, which isnt in the same ballpark as the others. I like the Escape DX but have a problem with the zippers. I have to break down 1 side to zip it up the push the poles back out. My oldest blind is a DB and is 8 years old now. Last spring it got ripped badly and was actually chewed on by varmints (thanks to a now exfriend who left it out for 2 months). I sent it to Primos 2 weeks ago and called this morning to check on it. I was told by customer service it was mailed back to me yesterday at no charge.

Wyohunter's question was which blind is best and best value for the dollar. I would have to say that DB (Primos) cant be beat because of this customer service and especially since it was not a defect. I sure have gotten my money's worth. Any other companies gonna do that?

01-Oct-08
M...1, The Darkhorse/Matrix you can adjust the top in the center of the blind pretty high, but I couldn't get the ends of the opening high enough.

01-Oct-08
Primos/Ground Max Vision. You can get them on sale at Bass Pro Shops every now and then for $150. Take a look at them and you'll agree. Best buy out there!

• Sitka Gear