Sivart 30-Sep-06
timmyg 30-Sep-06
toxotis 30-Sep-06
timmyg 09-Nov-06
Tombow 28-Dec-06
Keadog 28-Dec-06
Kiteman 22-Nov-07
13-Sep-06
Anyone have any experience with the Leaf River Infrared Trail Cam?

13-Sep-06

sticksender's Link
I've been using one since last summer. The photo quality is not the greatest, but that's the sacrifice you make when you choose infrared. On the plus side, the battery life is fantastic. I've recently gotten over 2000 images on one set of batteries. Overall this unit has been fairly simple to use, and fairly reliable. It does have a very slow trigger time in standard (battery save) mode, so it is suited mainly for set-ups over bait.

AND, if you purchase a Leaf River, I'd recommend to use only SAN DISK brand memory cards. My unit destroyed 4 Kodak/Lexar cards over the first few months (rendered the cards unformattable). I have not had any problems with the newer Sandisk cards so far. The Vibrashine tech service people, while generally friendly and helpful, have no answer whatsoever for the destroyed cards.

The above link shows a night-time shot taken yesterday. The unit is set for highest resolution in this image.

13-Sep-06

sticksender's Link
And here's a daytime image from yesterday. As you can see there is no color in the daytime shots, just black and white with a pinkish hue. Not really a problem for scouting use, just not as pretty as images taken with a standard camera.

13-Sep-06
I had the exact same problem my LR burned 1 Kodak and 1 Lexar card. To the point where neither the camera or my computer would read them at all. It was always after leaving them out for over 2 weeks or so, I thought it was just the south texas summer heat. But Lexar said that the card would take up to 180 degree heat. Good to hear that the Sandisk brand works well, will have to try again.

14-Sep-06
mesquite- Sorry to hear about the problem, but glad at least to know mine's not the only one destroying cards. As bad as the monetary loss of the cards, was being unable to see the hundreds of photos on them. I hope you contacted Vibrashine to let them know about the problem?

14-Sep-06
Doesn't sound too promising. I guess there is a reason that the Cuddeback is so expensive. I have the Cuddeback IR and love it...I was looking at the Leaf River because it is significantly cheaper but I like the color photos during the day and I haven't had any problems with memory cards.

14-Sep-06
gensken- don't get me wrong, I believe its a fine camera for the price (around 270.00 at discount outlets). I've gotten at least 15,000 images out of mine, with only the one issue with memory cards.

14-Sep-06
Same here I love the camera and the customer service is awesome. I'm fixing to get a second LR soon!

14-Sep-06
A friend of mine is having some issues with his LR and hasn't been able to contact customer serive. I don't know what number he is trying to call but could you share the number you have had success with?

Thanks

14-Sep-06

sticksender's Link
toll free #: (866) 775-5351 regular line: (601) 785-9854

29-Sep-06

timmyg's embedded Photo
timmyg's embedded Photo
Purchased a Leaf River IR 3BU two week a ago from Cabela’s. Took it out of the packaging from Cabela’s., watched the DVD, read the manual, watched the DVD, took a couple of pictures and set the unit up in the back yard over some corn. Checked the camera next day and the memory was full. From the LCD display I could see deer, not very well but I could see deer. I grabbed the camera and hooked it to my Lap Top with the provided USB cable, boy was I excited. , that was until I could not see the USB port on my lap top, tried another lap top, then another laptop, then a desktop and could not view images with my laptop? Read the directions again, watched the video. No luck, then hooked the camera to the video input of my Sony 42” LCD and low and behold I was able to view the images. I had deer, squirrels, crows, a coyote, and a family of raccoon.

I then went out and purchased Lexar 256 Compact Flash (CF) card for $20 at Walmart. Plugged the card in the slot and left the camera out, left town for 3 days and when I returned I had some 130 images. Wow. Struggled some more with the USB connection, played with the settings, loaded software, looked for drivers on the internet, loaded software. Still no luck. Went to Best Buy and purchased a CF reader for $20, loaded the reader software and low and behold I could view the images if I took the CF card out of the camera and used the CF reader.

I then focused on the USB connection. Bound and determined I called Vibrashine, waited on hold for 30 minutes and then went looking for the Cabelas return label. If I had not just spent 40 additional dollars a CF card and reader I probably would have thrown in the towel and returned the item to Cabela’s. But I did give it one more try and found that the camera must be in the display preview mode for the USB port to be recognized. I own several other digital cameras, usually all you have to do plug the camera to the computer and turn the camera on. On this particular camera you have turn on the camera, go to display preview mode then hook up the USB to the computer. If you do not follow this sequence, the computer will see new hardware and then go off searching for drivers which were not provided with the camera’s software installation CD. I am still not sure I was shipped the correct CD with the camera. The CD I was shipped was for a Freecom FHD-2 Pro? The direction said that ONLY ON THE DC-2BU DID YOU HAVE TO GO THOUGH THESE TYPES OF LIMBO MOVES TO GET THE USB PORT TO FUNCTION. The direction should have included the IR-3BU in the Limbo routine.

OK, what do I think of the IR-3BU, great little camera now that I figured out how the USB connection works. Attached picture is first deer captured before I figured out how to set the date and time.

29-Sep-06
I've never tried to use the USB connection. I want the camera to stay in the woods at all times. I simply walk out to the camera site, swap out the CF card, then take the card home and download the pics to my PC thru a card reader. My camera continues to take photos, and I don't have to disturb the site twice. Sounds like all you need now is a spare card. I buy the 2 gig cards, you can get about 800 images on the highest quality setting on one 2 gig card. They make 'em up to 8 gig.

29-Sep-06
By the way, as mentioned above, I had to stop using Lexar/Kodak cards. My unit toasted several of them. Have had no problems since switching to Sandisk Ultra cards.

30-Sep-06
Can you see the pics ok thru the viewing screen on the camera? I like the idea of not having to get home to view the pics.

30-Sep-06
I would say that you can make out a monster buck from a regular buck, or a regular buck from a doe. My eyes are old and I could make out the deer were baldies. If you intend to live score the buck or need to determine if the deer is a doe or a button buck you would have view the image on a larger screen.

30-Sep-06

toxotis's embedded Photo
toxotis's embedded Photo
I bought an IR 3BU recently as well. I like it alot. I don't bother with the USB port. I bought two 128 Mb SANDisk cards for $20. When I get to the camera, I just shut off the unit and swap the card and then turn it back on. Then I view the card at home with no problems. I've only got images with does on it but I figure in the next few weeks the bucks will be showing up. Most of the images are at night and even though they are black and white, they work.

09-Nov-06

timmyg's embedded Photo
timmyg's embedded Photo
Leaf River IR 3BU. After about a month my camera stopped recording pictures to the Compact Flash. The camera would indicate that it had triggered, but nothing was recorded on the flash on the flash. I checked the cameras battery indicators and they indicated full charge. Finally after swapping out the Flash cards on two different trips I pulled the camera and took it home for closer inspection. Long and short I checked the batteries with a VOM and the batteries where low. The Leaf River IR Battery indicator does not accurately reflect battery state or condition.

28-Dec-06
Sent mine back for repair a month ago and bought a Pixcontroller IR Digital Eye. Much happier!

28-Dec-06
Leaf River = Junk.

22-Nov-07
11 month update--camera has been returned THREE times for repair. First the case leaked and ruined the camera, then the hinge broke (fixed this ourselves) then it wouldn't power up at all, now it is back for not taking night shots. They promised a new camera last time, but sent the old one back to us instead...Now, again they promised us a new cam by yesterday...NOTHING.

My money will go elsewhere next time.

One positive is that one of their reps, Jeremiah, has been helpful. Seems like his hands are tied somewhat, though. He promises, but the company fails to deliver.

Just my experience...take it for what it's worth.

• Sitka Gear