Spike Bull 06-Jul-07
mongo 06-Jul-07
BHUNTNELK 07-Jul-07
jjpro 07-Jul-07
im-ocd 08-Jul-07
im-ocd 08-Jul-07
Ks bowman 08-Jul-07
05-Jul-07
What is the fastest bow for short draw lengths ā€“ 25-26 inches??

Because AMO and IBO use a 30 inch draw I have found that the speed of the bow when shot with a shorter draw length is not consistent (comparable) with what they report. I am assuming there are some bow geometries that are better suited to producing speed with a short power stroke.

Because my draw is so short Iā€™d like to shoot the fastest bow possible. I am currently shooting a switchback with acceptable results but would like to upgrade if I can find something faster.

Any thoughts???

05-Jul-07
Hoyt tends to be fast at the shorter DL's. I would look at the Vulcan.

05-Jul-07
I to am 26", with some(limited) research I have come to the conculsion that so called speed bows with fairly short brace will do better for midgets like me. Martin slayer,parker frontier/hornet,mathews prestige, and one that gets mentioned a lot is bowtech equalizer would all gain me some speed. I know now that the standard 300 fps, 7.5" brace ht bows will barely get me 210 fps with my heavy arrows, and a little junk on the string. At this point if i were buying today my search would definately include the above bows. the short brace, in theory, will not hurt us short people as much as tall people,while in theory giving us some of that power stroke back.

05-Jul-07

Mike/ky's Link
pse xforce

05-Jul-07
I'm drawing 26.5" with my SBXT.

Frankly, I won't chronograph it, as it is considerably faster than my longbows.

Speed is fine, but accuracy is final. If it shoots well for you, speed is not that important.

05-Jul-07
Speed is a function of energy storage which short draw guys are smart to maximize.

05-Jul-07
Bowtech equalizer is engineered for the short draw.

05-Jul-07
You are right about low brace heights helping, not hurting short draw folks. Try the Darton PRO3000. It is forgiving and blazing fast. Mine does 310fps at 30"s and 300 grains with a draw weight of just 56 pounds. I have to think that a guy could get some respectable speed even with a 26" draw.

05-Jul-07
what texasaggie said.....also the x force is crazy fast tooo, but the b/t will be a bit easier to shoot

05-Jul-07
Thanks.

So short brace height ā€“ less then 7.5" helps the short guy?

PS - Shortbow I disagree to some degree ā€“ speed helps in the energy department. I want it all, more speed and accuracy.

05-Jul-07
My buddy shoots a Vulcan at 27", we chronographed a 360 grain arrow at 292 fps. His bow is drawing 72 lbs on my scale. He won't be using the 360 gr arrow, we just wanted to see what the Vulcan would do. He is getting 265 fps with a 495 gr arrow. Either way, the Vulcan smokes.

05-Jul-07
My Vulcan at 27.5" is doing 274 fps with a 440 gr. arrow.

05-Jul-07
I agree with the Equalizer. It is made for short draw lengths and brace height is over 7''

05-Jul-07
Elite Synergy 27" 64lb. 380 grain arrow 289fps

05-Jul-07
The Equalizer, Elite Ice, PSE X-Force, and APA Black Mamba are probably the fastest four out there for short draw.(probably not in that order though)

05-Jul-07
Modern bows are plenty fast. Many are killing big game animals with longbows, drawing 26", and maybe tossing arrows out at 170-190 fps.

Shari Fraker killed 20 elk or so with a 50 lb bow.

But, this is all for fun, shoot what you want. I didn't pick my Mathews by running all the bows I shot through a chrony, others might.

05-Jul-07
I think your best bet would the APA black mamba X1 if you keep with 5gr per lb rule you'll be shooting around 310 fps.My buddy has a 28 in draw and is shooting 331 fps with carbon tech cheetahs.

06-Jul-07
Just looked into the Equalizer. They only make a 60 lbs limb. So I'd be giving up 8 lbs of draw.

Thanks for the comments.

06-Jul-07
I would have said Elite Ice and BT Equalizer but I think both cap out at 60#. Having said that, I remember a guy on another site who got Ice cams on a Elite Synergy and was able to get 70# but with cams made for short draw. That could be an option as well.

The X force is sweet. It will give a lot of speed at lower draw lengths. I really enjoyed shooting it. it drew nice and really flung em out there.

06-Jul-07
Mongo, do you know how much weight your buddy is pulling to get 331 @ 28"?

I can only get my switchback up to 240 @ 26" with 68 lbs. It shoots well but I'd like to have more speed and more KE.

06-Jul-07
RSM, go look at the Darton PRO3000. It is IBO rated at 333fps. If I get 310 at 56 pounds with an arrow 20 grains over you will certainly get more than you have now!

As for the short draw, here is the way it works.

The longer the arrow stays attached to the string the more chance for the shooter to move and screw up the shot. Long draw shooters are already on the string about as long as they can be. When they shoot a short brace bow the arrow is on the string another inch or two and the shooter's form becomes a much bigger factor.

A short draw shooter can stay on the string a few more inches without that effect.

Say a guy has a 30 inch draw with an 8" brace. The string is already back 8" at rest and so he pulls it back another 22" to anchor. Give him a 6" brace bow and he now has a 24" power stroke. Enough longer so that he can make his usual little foible and it shows up!

Give a guy with a four inch difference, 26" draw, the same two bows and he will have only an 18" power stroke on the first bow and a respectable 20" power stroke on the second bow, just 2" shorter than the long draw shooter but no where near the "touchiness" that long draw experiences at 24". In fact, the short draw guy with a 20" power stroke (6" brace) will be easier to shoot well than the long draw guy with the 8" brace!

06-Jul-07
Hi RSM my buddy is pulling around 68lbs if you want something with a bigger brace height look at the X2 you'd still be getting over 300 fps.He loves their bows.

07-Jul-07
Go to the PSE web site and watch the video on the X-Force.

07-Jul-07
The X Force @ 26" 70 lbs and a 350 gr arrow = 305 fps and 72.3 ft lbs energy!

08-Jul-07

im-ocd's embedded Photo
im-ocd's embedded Photo
RSM:

If you are wanting a 70 Lb. bow then consider the Bowtech Allegiance. I had a Switchback and the Allegiance is 18 F.P.S. faster set exactly the same. Brace height is 7 1/4'' on the Allegiance. I liked the Allegiance so much I bought a 2nd one.

Mine is set on 61# 29'' draw

438 gr. @ 269

366 gr. @ 292

341 gr. @ 301

326 gr. @ 307

08-Jul-07
Well heck, I looked and saw the Allegiance is only offered down to a 26.5'' draw. I'll go back to my first response, the Equalizer. Get a 60# model with speed mods (the speeds I gave for the Ally were with speed mods) and max it out. Bows perform best when at or near peak weight and the speed mods are a harder draw than that Switchback; but, the draw stop gives a rock solid back wall.

My wife has a Equalizer set on 41# 25.5'' draw. She shoots a 308 gr. arrow @ 234 F.P.S. that is fast considering the brace height, draw weight and length.

At 60# and 26'' draw you could pick up 25 F.P.S. for each 10# increase in draw weight and 5 F.P.S. for the 1/2'' longer draw length. I estimate an Equalizer set on 60# and 26'' draw would shoot that 308 gr. arrow @ about 289 F.P.S. that would be 57# of KE with a very light arrow. It's an estimate, but I think it's a good one.

08-Jul-07
A couple thoughts. I am a short draw archer too. I personally dont want any bow with less than 6 3/4" or 7" brace height. They get alot harder to shoot than a bow with a higher brace height. For example, the pse x force has a 6" brace.

With the equalizer you could go down in draw weight to 60 lbs. and probly be shooting alot faster than you are now at 70 lbs.

The allegiance would be another great choice. They are smoking fast. I got the guardian and I love it.

At 27" and 60 lbs. I am shooting 279 fps. with my 300 gr. arrows. At 360 gr. I am still shooting 260 fps. That may be a great choice for you as well.

I looked at one of the elites because I knew they were supposed to be fast. I think they are nice bows but I simply didnt like the draw cycle on it. Too harsh for me.

Sounds like the equalizer would be a good choice for you. They are also less expensive than some of the others and lighter in weight as well but you might give the guardian a spin too.

rick

• Sitka Gear