SERBIANSHARK 07-Jul-07
JTV 07-Jul-07
Snag1 07-Jul-07
camoman73 07-Jul-07
buglemaster 07-Jul-07
camoman73 08-Jul-07
Ron Reddon 08-Jul-07
06-Jul-07
Is there a way to cut carbon arrows without buying a high speed saw and can be done at home?

06-Jul-07
not correctly you need a very high rpm cutting tool better of taking them to the shop it shouldnt cost you much to get them cut.Ive seen diagrams on how to do everything.com hunting section using a dremel tool but when it comes to my arrows i just wouldnt risk it.

06-Jul-07

jamaltwy's Link
here is some info

http://www.deerslayer.freewebspace.com/hbarrowsaw.html

06-Jul-07

jamaltwy's Link
here is some info

http://www.deerslayer.freewebspace.com/hbarrowsaw.html

06-Jul-07
hack saw, fine blade.Mark it, cut it.

06-Jul-07
yea hack saw then you will be buying more arrows quicker you want to cut them SQ mite as well get a tubing cutter and crush them .

06-Jul-07
yea hack saw then you will be buying more arrows quicker you want to cut them SQ mite as well get a tubing cutter and crush them .

07-Jul-07
I use a thin flexible abrasive wheel on a bench grinder. I have the Roto 7 brand, but any thin wheel will do the job.

Just measure and mark with a pencil. Cut to length plus a little bit (1/16 to 1/8") for trimming to exact length. Rotate the end of the shaft under very light pressure against the side of the wheel to square it up and trim it to exact length. Take your time and allow a little extra material at first to get the feel of it. It helps to set something at the right height to rest the shaft on as you work, like a quart paint can.

I've used this method for many years on aluminums, and for the last several years on carbons, with no problems at all.

An old BH makes a decent deburring tool to remove the slight burr from the inside of the shaft and allow the insert to go in smoothly.

If your inserts fit the shaft properly, no additional squaring of the shaft end is needed. The snug fit of the insert in the shaft will keep everything aligned just fine. If your wallet is too thick, buying a squaring device for the shaft end will help thin it, but otherwise has little effect on arrow performance.

07-Jul-07

buglemaster's embedded Photo
buglemaster's embedded Photo
You can buy a mini chop saw from Harbour Freight & build your own for around $35. Makes a nice little saw.

07-Jul-07
Do those saws work good buglemaster? I see them on ebay all the time for like $25.

07-Jul-07
I'm pleased with mine.I had to get an abrasive cut off blade to get a good cut.They come with a toothed wood blade that will cut carbon but do splinter the shaft if your not careful.It works for me, but I will only cut 2-3 doz shafts a year.

07-Jul-07
APPLE PRO SAW.

07-Jul-07
$99.95 From Cabelas or Bass Pro...5000rpm's. Just a little more for the 8000rpm version......Jeff

07-Jul-07
I have one of the Harbor Freight cut off saws and really like it. Can't beat the price. For the little amount of work it does it will last a long time.

07-Jul-07
how many rpms is that harbor freight saw running?

07-Jul-07
They advertise at 7800rpm.

08-Jul-07
that seems to be enough for cutting carbons heck if its working and cutting straight great!

08-Jul-07
Normally, I buy pre-cut arrows, but I've cut a few carbons using a fine-tooth hacksaw blade, after wrapping masking tape around the shaft, before marking it to the correct length. Masking tape helps prevent splintering. Used a bit of emery paper on a flat surface to straighten any irregularities on the cut so the inserts would fit flush afterwards.

• Sitka Gear