moleshaver 05-Mar-08
Rubline 05-Mar-08
moleshaver 05-Mar-08
Rubline 05-Mar-08
Edge Huntr 05-Mar-08
moleshaver 06-Mar-08
Hammer 06-Mar-08
05-Mar-08
Anyone know where I can get more skyhook steps and bolts? They used to be available on E-bay but a search revealed nothing. I saw a thread not long ago that stated they would be re-introduced in 2008-any confirmation? Thanks.

05-Mar-08
Dont know, but I also need the lag screws....Jeff

05-Mar-08
Keep me in the loop too. I wouldn't use anything else for my first 8 steps.

05-Mar-08
Yep...I use the Sky Hooks for the first 5-6 steps then screw in's on private property.... A Climber for State lands....Jeff

05-Mar-08
I took a small file and filed the inside of the step out until it fit a 5/16 x 3" lag screw available at any hardware store. You don't have to file it that much. It is aluminum and files very easily. I think I even used a dremmel tool on some of them. They are made for metric so you can't do such a thing. Replace the bolts every year. I found that tree sap makes them break after about 6 months.. :)

05-Mar-08
Better optionis may be, in my opinionn all of this diverse equipment availabe today (ladders/sticks/rapid rails/etc...).

05-Mar-08
Oh the horror.I can hear the trees screaming for mercy.

05-Mar-08
I've got a few hundred lag screws for sale in the classified section. They're $75 per 100 and I'll pick up the shipping. I also have around 50 slightly used steps for sale. I know it's highway robbery for them, but they're selling on Ebay for around 11-12 dollars a piece. I'm going to sell them for 10 if anybody wants them. You can pm me if interested. The bolts are all new and original. The steps are from great to good condition. I'll ship the best of them first. I talked to API and Bass Pro is going to sell them marketed under Bass Pro's name and exclusive to them. I look for the price to be around $8 a piece whenever they start selling. Who knows when though. The screws will probably run higher than what I'm selling them. I've sold 1500 screws and never had a complaint.

05-Mar-08
Careful old ghost, you know what happened in Lord of the Rings.

Well, I may as well throw the safety issue in as well.

1. Slippery when wet and tiny for the boots as well 2. I had a gentleman at a sports show ask for my permission to show me a photo of a fellows result of falling from a tree and his head catching on a step. I agreed to see it. It wasn't good. His scalp was split open so badly that only a surgeon could stand to see it, if you will. 3. The story of another fellow who fell and he began struggling to grab hold of the tree while falling. He grabbed on to a step and that is where he stopped. His finger was initially supporting his weight as it was caught on the step at the point of contact with his wedding ring.

05-Mar-08
The only thing those screws may hurt is a sawblade after they're cut and taken to the sawmill. I've used screw in steps for over 20 years and none of the trees I've used are dead. Screws are the least of our concern when it comes to keeping our forests alive. I love my trees as much as anyone. My back yard has practically been logged and I hate it. Much of my family make a living logging. It's not their fault but logging is eating our forests up, not screws.

05-Mar-08
A sawblade is one thing and I agree. A hole made by a screw in step opens the cambium of a tree. This potentially results in allowing an opening for investations of insects and disease.

I am glad to hear that your family is involved with the management of forests. Improper logging of forests is eating our forests up. Logging is very beneficial to the forests growth, diversity of trees, shrubs and sustainability. Proper timing of logging produces great benefits in new tree regeneration.

It would seem that the logging that is causing you an eyesore behind your house must be very close to your house. Hopefully, it was sustainable forestry that took place and not High Grading.

05-Mar-08
I have used these bolts and hang on steps for many year for the FIRST 4 steps. I am concerned about some kid or some body climbing into my stand, falling out, and them or their heirs wanting to sue me. I think if I keave my first step at 7-8 ft off the ground, I would have a good arguement against leaving a dangerous un-guarded situation in the woods. When I am past 8 ft high I don't want my step to be free swinging on the tree.

06-Mar-08
They have clearcut the woods behind my house right up to the property line which is 50 yards from my back door. The owner is now planning to sell and I would bet that it'll go for building lots. It was a beautiful tract of woods that had a ton of deer and turkey residing in it. My family doesn't like to clearcut large tracts but that seems to be what the landowners are wanting anymore. I don't understand all the reasoning for it. Most are wanting it cleared for extra grazing. A few still want select harvesting but not many. My family owns a lot of land and have done an excellent job at select harvesting it. Getting back to the point, I'm sure the screws are not good for the trees. I personally have not seen any ill effects from the screws and I do have trees that I've been hunting for 20 years. I do use the skyhooks and usually leave the screws in and just back them out about a turn each year as the tree grows around them. I guess it's nice to know that my trees are the "most awesome trees in the world." I've recently bought a couple ladders and ladder stands. I'm getting too old to dangle on the side of a tree for a half hour screwing in steps. Plus, I've got a little girl that's obsessed with going with me and the ladders are safer. Rubline, I appreciate your concern. I just think with the hundreds of thousands of trees falling to chainsaws daily that screw in steps that may kill a tree in say 15 years is the very least of our problems.

06-Mar-08
Hey guys I have some bolts and some steps. I'll look and see how many. Ill sell for cheap. I dont ever need them. e-mail me at [email protected]

• Sitka Gear