Jaquomo 02-Apr-22
LBshooter 02-Apr-22
Shuteye 04-Apr-22
Mad Trapper 08-Apr-22
SlipShot 08-Apr-22
TGbow 09-Apr-22
joehunter 09-Apr-22
12-Mar-08
i was just reading another forum and a guy asked if he could smoke in the hay blind. im a smoker trying to quit, just wondering if any of you smoke and what do you do when hunting. i will be wearing a patch if im still smoking when fall comes. does anybody smoke in the stand and have deer come in close. if you do and have a story please share.

12-Mar-08
I'm a guy who believes that smoking and hunting don't go together well at all, but I have to ask...Is it ok to smoke in a HAY blind? You've got to freaking be kidding me!!! Yeah, go ahead, if you don't mind becoming incinerated. I can't believe how badly some people lack COMMON SENSE.

12-Mar-08
So I guess a big roaring fire at the edge of your living room is out of the question, elknuts2.

It's not always a question of if, it's often a question of how.

12-Mar-08
Now to the original question ...

I don't smoke any more, but when I did, I smoked while hunting. It never once determined the outcome. I did not light up when the wind was wrong or when game was within range. Smoking is nothing more than a scent game when hunting. Yes, you smell like cigarettes and tobbaco. So what. Game animals can smell you anyway, whether you smoke or not, if conditions are in the animals' favor. Use your head and play the wind.

What do you think untold generations of hunters did before the anti-scent market came along?

The Old Sarge

12-Mar-08
im pretty sure the guy was just joking around. but his joke got me thinking about the topic of smoking and hunting.

12-Mar-08
"I can't believe how badly some people lack COMMON SENSE"

I no longer use the phrase common sense. It is no longer common. Nobody has it. I have coined a new phrase of rare sense.

12-Mar-08
You should probabaly ask Serbian Shark his thoughts on this!

12-Mar-08
Hmmm...Hay Blind & Smoking?...Yep, that was "me" and YES I will be there doing just that! (personal choice). I don't drink or gamble or chase women (anymore) but Pepsi and Smoking are my 2 vices!... and I enjoy both!.....bow hunting is my passion....maybe someday I'll beable to kill a deer once I figure out how or a dumb one comes by.........

12-Mar-08
I smoked for many years....like many here will surely relate...I have put out a cig so I could shoot deer. Having said that....when I quit smoking my deer action improved considerably.

THe guys I hunt with that still smoke smell so bad that even my weak human nose can't hardly stand it.....to a deer nose it would be a huge alarm. Scent discipline is an important part of hunting deer and elk. A smoker can never really get there. Anyone who says otherwise is either a deliberate liar or a fool.

If you smoke, do yourself and everyone else you know that doesn't smoke a favor. Quit. It ain't that hard......I should know I've quit hundreds of times before it finally worked. THe key is just to keep quiting until you finally don't smoke anymore.

12-Mar-08
When I am bow hunting, I don't smoke in the stand for various reasons. One - the movement involved, Two - bow hunting is a close game and anything that you can stop them from cluing in on ya the better, and smoking is something I don't do alot of anyway so I don't during bow hunting. During the Gun deer season in WI, I do because I usualy am in the woods all day during the season, and I purposely set up for a longer distance shot. So being as close as in bow hunting isn't needed. I also feel that unless a deer can associate the smell of cig smoke to a human from past experiance, it won't bother them. But you never know.

12-Mar-08
vetrix,

QUIT SMOKING RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOUR GETTING MARRIED SOON CORRECT??????????????????????????

Then quit now so you can take care of business "domestic business" If you know what I mean. You need full lung capacity for that 1st 3 months. The reason you need that capacity so you can take care of business well enough so you can have the freedom to hunt more often this fall. COMMON SENSE YOUNG SKYWALKER

12-Mar-08
my friends father has deer hunted and smoked his whole life.... he has shot deer in the middle of a smoke....

he has shot over 70 deer in his 40 years of hunting..both gun and bow....

i do not think deer equate cigarette smoke and humans together

12-Mar-08
KELLY I DINDNT EVEN THINK OF THAT!!! HERE IM WORRIED ABOUT SCARING DEER AWAY, WOW I AM MESSED UP. INEED TO QUIT TODAY, THERE'S GONNA BE A WHOLE LOT BABY MAKING GOING ON AND I NEED ALL THE AIR I CAN GET! KELLY BY FAR YOU ARE THE COOLEST GUY ON THIS SIGHT.

12-Mar-08
Headhunter, I agreee with you 100%. If you've given up drinking and chasing women, you may as well light up in the haybale blind.

In fact, you may as well put on gasoline soak underwear and take a nap while you're at it! ;-)

<<<<<<(please note "smiley-face addendum" , indicating author's making a lame attempt at humor)>>>>>>>

12-Mar-08
I watched my mother-in law die of emphazima and then lung cancer. She died gasping for breath. it was like watching someone drown.

12-Mar-08
Sarge, You said your smoking has never determined the outcome of your hunts. How do you know? Maybe many P&Y'ers plus many other deer that you never saw were scared away because of your smokng. I think they associate the smell of cig smoking with man. Also, when you smoke you move your arm and hand. How many deer saw this and didn't come in even when you played the wind ?

Now don't get ticked off.No offense intended as I don't care if you smoke or not.I just thought your statement was very suspect and not thought out well and very much an attempt at trying to rationalize your smoking while hunting.

Good hunting!

12-Mar-08
"Scent discipline is an important part of hunting deer and elk. A smoker can never really get there. Anyone who says otherwise is either a deliberate liar or a fool."

So someone who smokes can never achieve scent discipline? And anybody that says they can is a liar or a fool?

A deer or elk can smell a smoker that is downwind with said wind blowing 15 mph? And anybody that says the elk cannot is either a liar or a fool?

You have some pretty tight "standards" there, pal. Or are they "loose"? :0)

The Old Sarge

12-Mar-08
I would be more concerned with smoking and cancer.

12-Mar-08
Vectixhunter, If you even think that you may still be smoking come next hunting season, trust me YOU ARE NOT TRYING TO QUIT SMOKING. Your attitude towards quiting will determine if you succeed or not.

12-Mar-08
I never cared for smoking. Still love to drink and chase women. I don't let it interfere with my huntin'.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

12-Mar-08
laHawkeye,

The outcome of my hunts was "successful." I filled my tags. I care little whether the animal was a P&Y or not. :0)

At the same time, I see your point. However, when you're sitting on the mountainside puffing away and the deer and elk are all around you, paying no attention whatever, you get the idea that smoking is not changing the hunt or the outcome. Game animals smell smoke all the time. Each thing that burns, has a fairly distinct odor when it burns. Why would deer and elk associate tobbaco smoke with humans? They don't necessarily associate wood smoke or grass smoke with us?

Granted, ANY scent that gets an animal's attention has the potential to put that animal on alert. If you're concerned about scent, use the wind ... or commercially available scent killer ... which we humans did very well without for centuries. :0)

12-Mar-08
I don't smoke and it would be easy for me to tell someone not to without realizing how difficult it may be to quit. However, the other day when I was exercising around a lake I passed a lone ice fisherman probably 50 yards away from me. He was smoking and I could smell the smoke and it was a windy day. That said, if I could smell it under those conditions, imagine what deer can smell. Now as whether that smoke smell will alarm the deer, I don't know, but they will definitely smell it.

12-Mar-08
I smoked for along time, and dipped Skoal or had chewing tobacco when I went hunting. I quit smoking in 2002 and I still look at it as one of my biggest accomplishments. When some of my buddies that smoke come up to me, I can smell them a mile away! Even if you are using the wind, you are always creating a scent signature when in the woods. There is no way in the world you can think that being so smelly to other people doesnt equate to much larger scent signature. The goal is not so the deer or elk dont smell you, but its about lowering your scent signature.

12-Mar-08
I eat beans....lots of beans

12-Mar-08
if you smoke it's impact on your hunting is about number 342,367,692,200 on the list of problems it causes you

12-Mar-08
I quit smoking 15 yrs ago but i will say i don,t think it affects hunting other than maybe movement. A deer is not going to smell you any quicker if you have a smoke in your mouth.There sense of smell is ten thousand times that of a human. They will quicker run from human scent than a smoke. I have thrown every thing from butts to half eaten sandwiches in scrapes just to see the effect and it dosen,t bother them in the least. If deer ran from every strange smell they came to they would run thereselfs to death. I,m glad i was able to quit but i killed some dandys with a cig,in my mouth. We all know it ain,t good for ya so quit if you can.

12-Mar-08
Arrowed 10 deer in 2007. Had to put out a smoke for two of them.

Just quit smoking again two weeks ago ( Darn, all this smoking talk has me craving for one ).

I have always wondered why people think they have a chance with human odor and a deer downwind, but not if they are smoking? Doesn't make sense to me. If a deer is down wind, it matters not if you smoke - that deer will bolt.

Having said that, I have smoked on and off for years, one time with a 9 year break before starting up again. ( It was the darned skeeters and flys in Alaska two years ago that got me going again ). Here is my data observing reactions of deer with cigarettes over a 30 years period;

1. Deer are least alarmed by non filtered cigerettes.

2. Deer prefer the smell of Winston over Marlboro, and bolt at the least hint of Cool Filter Kings or any menthol smoke.

3. Deer like the smell expensive cigars, but bolt at the mere presence Swisser Sweets.

4. Deer like the smell of pipe tobacco, and will even come and investigate any cherry blend pipe smoke in the woods. ( Don't believe me - ask your grandfather )

5. Deer prefer copenhagen over skoal 3 to 1. ( This was added for the chewers out there )

Puff away and hunt the wind. ;^)

Tony

12-Mar-08
I remember what finally got my son to quit. His little three year old girl told him she loved him and didn't want him to die so would he please quit smoking? That did it.

12-Mar-08
I"m a Priest, and we keep records on the people we bury about what caused their death. I believe that about 1/2 of the people I bury are from smoking related illnesses.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

LBB

12-Mar-08
I don't smoke myself but a buddy of mine does, while hunting, and he has killed lots of whitetails with a bow even with a lit cig. hanging out of his mouth. He says the smoke masks his human odor. I'm not so sure about that theory. My grandad chews tobacco and spits all around his stands but he to has killed many deer with a bow and gun. Both these guys are old timers and swear their habits don't bother deer, but I'll still try to remain as scent free as possible.

12-Mar-08
Vetrix, Thanks for the KUDOS if you think I am cool or funny you need to go hunting with me. I have to admit people always tell me they have had the most awesome time of their life in regards to hunting. I did try smoking with Billy combs while a junior in High School. I coughed up a left lung and never tried it again. Personally I dont know how anyone can even start smoking your body goes into shut down mode when you first inhale a ciggerette?? Oh well to each their own I guess.

12-Mar-08
Ok. there is no good to smoking and hunting. If you play the wind....You will get shots. I have taken 86 deer in my life and i always smoked in the stand. i do try teatree sticks and gum to cut back while hunting. After i smoke i put the butt in a canister so the smell is not so bad. You should quit so you can hunt for more years. I took my boy on his 1st bow hunt and he scored a 8pt. After the drag out, I was winded. I realized this is the time.I quit using the patch and teatree sticks. it's hard but has to be done or your dead. aS FAR AS A HAY BLIND . HAVE YOU EVER STARTED A FIRE WITH A BUTT BEFORE?

12-Mar-08

Ton's embedded Photo
Ton's embedded Photo
Tim hunted with me on the Aulneau Peninsula last fall. Aways loved his smoking and hunting. Insisted that he could set up stand and play the wind. He did it.

12-Mar-08

tonyo6302's embedded Photo
tonyo6302's embedded Photo

13-Mar-08
Ton...but that's a Smoke Pole he has!

Bou'bound....and Donuts are Good For You?.. ((*;

vectrixhunter....it only takes 30 seconds to do 'your domestic business'....then ya lay back and have a smoke!

(smoking is not good for you)!....jmho (also) So "IF" you don't smoke now.....don't start! But "IF" you do and YOU enjoy it....go for it! TO EACH THEIR OWN! You have a PERSONAL choice!

13-Mar-08
Vetrix,

Dont listen to headhunter at all!! You only take 30 seconds for domestic business after your newly married and it wont take long for friendly Henry or his buddy handy Andy to come knockin on the Mrs. door!!!!!

You wait until your old like me and headhunter then be happy you made it 30 seconds. LOL

13-Mar-08
MATT GET ON CHANTIX NOW AND QUIT AND DONT LOOK BACK 20 YRS FROM NOW YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT

13-Mar-08
Sorry Sarge...didn't mean to offend. I'm like a reformed prostitute since I quit smoking years back. I will add one more thing....a smoker has no clue how bad they smell until they don't smoke anymore.

13-Mar-08
Maybe Scent-Lok will come out with a scentless cigarette. Then you can "forget the smoke- just hunt".

13-Mar-08
Straight Arrow, I'd like one too....what, oh, you said "I'm like" ....my bad!

13-Mar-08
Too much to risk with forest fires. I don't think you should smoke in the woods at all. Nothing to do with deer hunting.

13-Mar-08
You worry you can hunt while smoking.....You better worry you can live to hunt,or at the very least have a decent quality of life as you get older.I will tell you a story and i know all smokers are tired of hearing peoples tales of smokings horror storys,but here goes.My wife died at the age of fifty of a massive heart attack,doctors said it was congestive heart failure,the result of 38 years of smoking.The doctors said smoking was a direct cause.Nine days after the attack she died.I had to tell the doctors to remove her off life support,the heart attack had deprived her organs of enough oxygen.She had a heart pump hooked in a artery in her thigh,and she was on a ventilator so she could breath.We had always had a understanding that neither one of us would keep the other one artificially alive if there was no hope.To this day i am haunted by this even as i know it was the right thing to do.Please all you guys who smoke quit.I did in my late twenties,cold turkey,no more excuses,just do it,dont put your love ones through what i went through. sorry so long on this.It is still hard to talk about after 13 years.

13-Mar-08
i only smoke after sex.do sheep like hay blinds?

13-Mar-08
"i only smoke after sex.do sheep like hay blinds?" -Only in Colorado!- just kidding, I'm a recovering greeny myself...

Seriously, though, you must be in a blind or a stand if you're a smoker because you sure as hell won't be able to take on a mountain side at 9,000 feet for an archery elk hunt! And, who would pack it out after you killed it? Smokers lungs, thin air, and exercise - don't really go together.

(Who wants to look like a smoker in that picture of you and your trophy that's going to hang on the wall forever!)

13-Mar-08
Smoking cigerettes and hunting? Would be a heck of a wind checker I guess. Probably not good for it. Definitely not for you either.

Now a fine victory cigar (hand rolled on the thighs of virgins I'm told) whilst you bone em out? Nothing finer. Even if you get a little on it.

I've forgotten what wild women even were.

13-Mar-08
i don't smoke but i fart alot in the stand, i have even taken care of business in a walmart bag on many occassions. none have impacted my hunting, or so it seems. i used to have a long time skoal habit, but killed 6 p&y bears during that habit, so my opinion would be biased. i have also been busted many times by whitetails and i didn't smoke, so go figure. i have emptied my spit toon many times at my stand, and the bears seem to enjoy skoal as well. i have planted many a glob on their heads before performing hip surgery on them with a clueless look on their face. if smoking is your thing, just don't leave them butts in the woods or tucked in my stands or branches, now that gets my goat!

13-Mar-08
guidermd-On behalf of all of us here on Bowsite I want to thank you for your eloquence in informing us of some of your charming virtues. Now I really am thankful that I will be deer hunting on the Eastern Shore this fall:)

14-Mar-08
If you are concerned about scent, it takes six weeks of not smoking to clear your pores from releasing the toxins into the nostrils of the ever clever white tail's nose. I read that in a magazine. However, if I am endulging in my monthly alottment of beer (Harris), I have been known to have a drag or two myself. Come hunting season I live like a saint and keep er clean! Wash clothes and body in the good scent eliminator stuff! If wind is right 100 percent of the time, (it never is) then you will never have to worry about whether or not you are smoking! Good hunting Vectrix and welcome back.

14-Mar-08
NewNoPeep,

Then I am doomed forever. The Wife makes me 5 alarm venison chile at least once a week.

My colon gets cleaned within 24 hours, but I wonder how many weeks it will take to get the chile toxins out of my pores?

;^)

Tony

14-Mar-08

SERBIANSHARK's embedded Photo
"but Pepsi and Smoking are my 2 vices!... and I enjoy both!.....bow hunting is my passion....maybe someday I'll beable to kill a deer once I figure out how or a dumb one comes by......... "

heck herm, i'd a thought i wrote that...lol

well anyway , here's what i think.......

14-Mar-08

and here's 20 minutes later.

i did throw the cig at him to get him broadside though.

14-Mar-08
Scent discipline and playing the wind are totally different factors.

Being down wind is a perfect situation, and neither gasoline nor smoke will matter. How often do deer or elk refuse to cooperate and mess up a ‘perfect situation’? I can very often tell when someone is a smoker the first time I’m near them. Now, does this mean they can’t be an effective hunter? No it does not.

Smoking is a very bad idea, and the reason for my statement has nothing to do with hunting. But this is America, and they’re your lungs.

Good luck to you all.

TTS

14-Mar-08
"Sorry Sarge..."

I wasn't offended. :0)

And belive me, I know what you mean. I quit myself.

14-Mar-08
"Seriously, though, you must be in a blind or a stand if you're a smoker because you sure as hell won't be able to take on a mountain side at 9,000 feet for an archery elk hunt! And, who would pack it out after you killed it? Smokers lungs, thin air, and exercise - don't really go together."

Spoken like someone that has never smoked. lol

I did exactly what your saying can't be done and did it for many, many years. I finally quit smoking but it was not because of my hunting.

The Old Sarge

14-Mar-08

guidermd's embedded Photo
guidermd's embedded Photo
thanks for the input chip, and all of us on bowsite thank you for speaking for all of us. eastern shore is the place for you, and i hear jersey air is the best cover scent to mask your odor.....whew:) seems my tactics work ok in maine too, not limited to western maryland or canada by any means.

14-Mar-08
Guidermd,

The best cover scent is to hunt in or down wind of a North Carolina Hog Operation.

The stench from the hogs have burnt the sensory glands of the deer's noses down there, and you can truly "forget the wind, just hunt"! ;^)

( Apologies to all NC bowhunters for letting your secret out. )

Tony

14-Mar-08
why is it that the guys i know that don't smoke consistently kill more bucks then the guys that do? do you think they are just better hunters or is smoking not a good thing?

14-Mar-08
"why is it that the guys i know that don't smoke consistently kill more bucks then the guys that do? do you think they are just better hunters or is smoking not a good thing? "

i don't know why that is....maybe all the smokers are piss poor hunters, and all the guys who don't....are less piss poor hunters...lol

serb

15-Mar-08
tony,

thanks for the advice, wish you would have told me sooner!! hehe i still keep my walmart bags handy, but lately i've had to "double bag it" just in case one breaks, that makes climbing down a real treat.

15-Mar-08
I can't really say if smoking effects ones success while they are in the field or not, as I am not a smoker, nor do I hunt with smokers, so I don't have that experience, thank God.

I can say this however with confidence. Smoking will affect your hunting down the line, if it doesn't already. It will rob you of your health and your abilities to do it at a much younger age than is necessary and you are nothing more than a fool if you think you will escape it's curse. How blind can you guys be not to understand that very simple, basic, principle? Smoking is the worst health hazard around to you and your family. It is nothing less than a delayed form of suicide.

Serb, I probably post more photos than anyone on this site. I think I love a good photo more than most here. I'm sure I hate the photo you posted above, more than anyone on this site. That's the worst photo I have ever viewed here. After watching my dad die for 10 years, it offends me that people like you, can still be so detached from the real consequences of their actions, not only to themselves, but more importantly to their family. When I see that photo of you laying there, I don't just see a cigarette hanging from your mouth, I see and envision my dad's slow death, at a very premature age. I see his self inflicted suicide, as well as yours. I only wish you could see what I see. I have a much better view point than you do!

Do cigarettes effect your chances of success while hunting?----If it doesn't presently, I can assure you it will at some future date and that day is not nearly as far off, as many of YOU think. MARK MY WORDS ON THAT ONE!

Have a great bowhunt while you can. BB

15-Mar-08
THANKS BB

I smoked for 32 yrs. and used a cig to check wind. Kept a unlit one in pocket to light once in awhile to check wind. It worked fine as wind indictor but then my hacking and wheezing took over.

My hunting buddies that did not smoke informed me that they knew my location by my cough. I quit at age 53. It is never too late to quit.

Most all my big bulls were taken after I quit. Not because of wind direction but because of MY WIND!

Milt

19-Mar-08
LongbowBob said- "I"m a Priest, and we keep records on the people we bury about what caused their death. I believe that about 1/2 of the people I bury are from smoking related illnesses.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it."

LBB

That's a pretty harsh thing to say coming from a Priest. You should be ashamed of yourself father. No wonder people are running over each other away from the church these days. Come on down of your high and mighty and keep saying those prayers at grave side. And try showing alittle more compassion for your fellow man. Sheesh...

19-Mar-08
I talked to a man who ran a bear and whitetail guide service in Maine and he said he kept records of all his clinits for many years and one of the stats he kept were the sucsess rates and if they smoked or not. He told me the nonsmokers were far and above the most sucessful hunters. and he believed it was not just a scent thing beacuse he positioned the stands for prevaling winds it was a movement thing!!! They could not stay still on stand always moving there hands and since smoking is a vaso constrictor their feet and hands got cold and they would climb down out of the stands and light one up!!! I would tend to agree. And every one can get lucky with a deer or elk once in a while but just think of what you may have missed. You will never know..... Snuffer

19-Mar-08
How does a non-smoker know he hasn't missed the same things?

19-Mar-08
Longbow Bob,

My grandfather told me, "Always tell the truth, Son. It may not be popular, some won't like it, but the truth has this nasty habit of always coming out in the end."

YOU GO, PADRE!

Tony

20-Mar-08

I smoked for 32 yrs. The smartiest thing I ever did was

QUIT.

Got to see my grandkids , hunt without hacking. and hopefully see my 26 yr. old son marry a cute outdoor girl before I die.

Milt

quit

QUIT

20-Mar-08
Gee Stan, I'll bet you're a smoker!

LBB

20-Mar-08
It was the whole "Put that in your pipe and smoke it" remark. If you really are a priest like you say you are, you know that that is the wrong way to address a situation. And yes, I am a smoker. And I know I should quit. You sure are coming across very judgmental, and you of all people should be the exact opposite. Show some frickin compassion man. And stop being such a hypocritical "hollier than thou" tpye; just calling a spade a spade. If you really are a man of the cloth, YOU are supposed to be setting the example. And you know I'm right. What would Jesus think of your compassion for your fellow man? Put THAT in YOUR pipe and smoke it, buddy.

20-Mar-08
Whether it's smell or movement or seeing the smoke, when I smoked I saw less deer than when I didn't. I smoked for a long time and shot my share of the deer but I am noticing that I do a lot better after I quit. The other thing I know is,,,,, you can't pressure someone to quit, it doesn't help. They have to make up their mind and want to quit. Pressuring them has the opposite effect. JD

20-Mar-08
Stan,

Part of the problem is that I get tired of burying people because of the dumb things they choose to do with their lives. I know that it is their choice, and they have the freedom to do it.So if that's what they want to do, then they can have at it.

But I don't have to condone it. And I do have th right to speak my mind about it.

Tell you what, the next time I have to go to the hospital to see sombody who is dying because of smoking, why don't you come along? Or call up a local nursing home and go visit some of the folks there. First of all they would love the company. Secondly you would get a first hand view of what I have to deal with on a daily basis.

By the way, do you want to see my certificate of ordination?

I know that I stepped on a sore spot in your life, and for that I do apologize to you. But I also hope that one day soon you will go see your doctor and take advantage of some of the wonderful new medications that they have to assist people in breaking the addiction to tobacco.

The best definition I've ever heard of "addiction" is that it is a force in your life that is more powerful than your will to survive.

Sound familiar?

I shall keep you in my prayers.

LBB

20-Mar-08
I actually had a friend who smoked 3 packs a day, he had a somkers cough so bad that one day he coughed up a piece of tissue. He went to the doctors and showed them and was put in the hospital the same day. He was diagnosed with lung cancer, they removed his left lung and he died a week later. All this occured in only 10 days. This isn't funny, who cares if the deer can smell ya. DON'T SMOKE if you want to be around to tell your hunting stories to your children or family!

20-Mar-08
My daughter is going to try something new to help her stop (I can't remember exactly what it is, but I can check if anyone is interested). I hope it works because no parent should have to bury their child!

20-Mar-08
HHMMmmnnn, seems to me, that from memory, in Sunday School as a child, that Jesus was not always compassionate.

Someone correct me here, but did not Jesus drive the money changers out of the Temple, TWICE ???

Does not that mean that anger and violence are OK sometimes?

LOL. We need to pray for our clergy too.

Tony

20-Mar-08
Never smoked but I dipped for 23 years. Quit cold turkey when my son was born. Had cravings for about a week and then no problem. Been clean for 3 years I guess.

Smoking and chewing are nasty ass habits. Wish I'd a never started but hey....nobody ever said that 18 years old was the peak of intelligence.

19-May-08
Odd how defensive (& offensive) people get about smoking. Most smokers agree it’s a bad habit, but tire of people getting on their case about it. For those that tire of hearing it, I hope you can beat the habit, and if you choose not to, then smoke away.

My biggest selling point to those that feel smoking is not a big deal is this: would you stop your children from smoking? ‘Do as I say, not as I do’, has NEVER worked. YOU are the biggest influence and role model in your children’s lives. If you can’t kick the habit, then please step away from the children when you do smoke.

For those that have taken offense at harsh words: Have you never slapped (verbally, or otherwise) some sense into someone that needed it? Have you never had some sense slapped into you? You KNOW smoking is a bad idea; you’re just not ready to change.

I watched my father die from emphysema, and would spare anyone that fate if I could. Spare yourself.

TTS

19-May-08
I watched my step-dad die the day after Christmas last year and cough up his lungs for two weeks before he went. He was sick all the time from treatment and weighed less than 100 lbs. when he died. I watched my Mom cry as they took him out the door with the American flag draped over him. 58 years old. It's cool to smoke! It's cool to be the big Marlboro man. Sorry, I'd say if you play the wind like you should anyway you're fine. In case you were wondering I don't smoke.

19-May-08
Witnessed it myself two years ago with my father in law the same way you described JUSTHUNT1. I watched him smoke to the last day of his life. I remember him saying in his last fews days in this world as he looked at his cigarettes. He quietly said one day in front of all of us. "I wish I would have quit years ago." My mother in law asked me to get him a couple of packs just prior to him dying. I asked her if she was sure she wanted me to get them. She said, "yes it really isn't going to make a difference now." When she gave him the cigarettes, and he nomally smoked two to three packs a day, he said. "I wont need all of these." He died the next day at 530 pm. What a great man and nice guy to meet. My wife and I will miss him dearly.

02-Apr-22
Been waitin damn near 14 years for that

02-Apr-22
That was 14 years ago, the issue has probably worked itself out by now...

02-Apr-22
The last cigarette I smoked was Nov 10th 2010 @ approximately 10pm. I put it out in the kitchen sink when the paramedics knocked on the door. I was having a heart attack & after the ride in the ambulance my heart stopped in the er. The decision to finally quit was easy after that experience.

02-Apr-22
The OP died of lung cancer 12 years ago but I'm sure he appreciates your ad.

02-Apr-22
Boreal..... I read the op & it asks about experiences while smoking & hunting. Says nothing about lung cancer ???

02-Apr-22
Some people must be really bored today bringing up old post 10+ years ago.

02-Apr-22
The post that brought it back up has been deleted.

02-Apr-22
I have had to put out many cigarettes when game came in. Hell I think smoking even masked my scent enough to bag a bear that winded me. Bottom line is if the game smells your smoke then they already smell you regardless if you were smoking or not.

02-Apr-22
I quit smoking years ago but killed plenty of deer when I did smoke. Once I shot a big doe and it was a double lung pass through. I saw the deer fall. I spent a long time looking for the just lit cigar I had in my mouth when I shot. I never found the cigar but waited a couple hours to make sure the woods didn't catch on fire. Howard Hill was my hero and he said he couldn't hunt without cigarettes. He said if the animal could smell the smoke, they could smell you, hunt the wind..

02-Apr-22
Yup. Seems like in this day of scent-proof clothing and fancy sprays and 'ozonics' too many don't pay enough attention to the wind. Years ago a buddy had to park his cigarette long enough to arrow a good buck. While wearing wool pants and GI surplus jacket. The wind was right...

02-Apr-22
Good to read a couple older Kelly Harris posts on this thread. His first one was hilarious.

02-Apr-22
Tobywon, I saw that as well, and it made me smile!!!!

02-Apr-22
Lots of oldies here. Some memories for sure. Not just Kelly

02-Apr-22
Used to be a guy in our archery camp in the 70s and 80s who smoked a lot of the weed. He used to sit on a log downwind of a trail and toke on his pipe. He killed 14 bulls in a row, including the CO #11 bull at the time. Then he got bored with archery elk hunting and gave it up for fishing.

02-Apr-22
I use to smoke and wouldn't smoke Out in the woods, and I would fidget constantly. No longer smoke and deer come around more lol. A buddy of mine smokes and has no issue killing deer. He throws butts down from his tree stand and has deer smelling them, crazy. Lol

04-Apr-22
LBshooter, i once picked up a fawn along the road. It's mother had been killed by a vehicle. I put the fawn on the front seat of my 62 chevy and it stood right there. I stopped at my cousin's house and gave it to him. He raised it and it was tame as a dog. It would go though the house and clean out the cigarette buts from the ashtrays. He would keep it in the barn during shotgun season and even had a red vest for it.

08-Apr-22
Was headed to Grise Fjord to hunt the great white bear. Friends told me to take a few cartons of cigarettes with me as the guide's like to smoke and they frequently have trouble getting cigarettes that far north. I think I took four cartons with me. I remember being out on the ice and we had to stop to refuel the snow machines. I think that the lead guide determined that he needed a smoke, so that is why we stopped. Anyway, I took the opportunity to get off the Kamatik and take a leak. When I was done, I headed over toward the sleds and noticed the head guide filling the tank of one of the snow machines. He had a cigarette hanging from his mouth and the ash had to be two inches long all the while he was bent over pouring gasoline into the snow machine. I quickly put some distance between us....

08-Apr-22
My hunting partner that I have been hunting with for 31 years has smoked on and off during that time. We mostly elk hunt. I can tell you, and he would attest, he is so much more successful when he was or is not smoking. It got to the point that we camped together and we hunted separate when he smoked. He was not allowed to smoke within 100 yards of camp. I would not hunt an area that he hunted for at least 3 days after he hunted it. With that said he was occasionally successful. I know of one case where an elk came in when he had one in his mouth.

09-Apr-22
Most of the deer hunted on the US, except for remote areas, smell a lot of odors...like diesel, oil, ect. I think human odor is the odor to be concerned about.

09-Apr-22
Crazy when you see one of these old threads and remember reading it 14 years ago. Lots of old names from the past.

• Sitka Gear