Straightshooter 01-Apr-08
Will 01-Apr-08
Spike Bull 01-Apr-08
Shooter 01-Apr-08
Matt 01-Apr-08
Spike Bull 02-Apr-08
lnevett 03-Apr-08
30-Mar-08
Yesterday, I was looking at my top cam as I was shooting (I can tell better if I'm tourqing or not by looking up at the top cam).

Anyway, when I was looking at it, the top cam looked like it was leaning a good bit. The cam leaned to the right at the top.

After the shot I started looking closly and it does seem to lean. When you look at the bottom cam the buss cable is directly in line w/ the cam. The buss cable is not in line with the top cam. Could this be caused by the distance that the top cam is from the roller guard?

Also, the Proshop that I purchased the bow from is now out of buisness. If I need to have the top limb replaced (inacurratly drilled axel holes?)or the cam replaced, can I take it to another proshop and have them do the repair. (under waranty?)

Thanks,

Clif

30-Mar-08
If you sent your warranty registration card in or registered on line you should be able to receive warranty work from any Bowtech dealer.

30-Mar-08
I would own a Bowtec; but cam lean is very common with Bowtec. However, some of my friends have Bowtecs with cam lean but they shoot great. For me cam lean just "bugs" me.

30-Mar-08
Cam lean is common. Nothing to worry about. My Allegiance leans and it shots very accurate.

31-Mar-08
Has it been dry fired? Dropped? Yes any Bowtech dealer will service it for free its an 08 bow and under warranty.

31-Mar-08
My 101st Has cam lean but it shoots bullet holes

31-Mar-08
Cam lean can be a problem, as it can make tuning a nightmare once it gets past a certain point. My current Allegaince got it bad right before the limb failed.

31-Mar-08
Binary cams = Cam lean. That being said, alot of people shoot the Elites, Bowtechs and others without problems.

31-Mar-08
All Bowtechs, since the inception of the binary cam seem to have alot of cam lean. Seems to be the nature of the beast. Want to feel even more insecure? Put your bow on a draw board or have a friend draw your bow while you look at it from behind, watch your limb tips. They cave in towards the cam severely while the bow is being drawn. Yikes.

31-Mar-08
But boy do BT's shoot ever so nice.

31-Mar-08
My Bowtech Allegiance that I had in 2006 developed a cam lean soon after purchase. I'm with Windwalker in that it really bugged me. I e-mailed bowtech about it and in so many words they said it was common on the binary cam bows, it should shoot fine and just get used to it. I sold it and bought a Switchback and I have no cam lean.

31-Mar-08
My 08' Bowtech General has no cam lean, been shooting it for 6 months now. Yes, I got Crackers first.

31-Mar-08
The Center Pivot bows (General, Guardian, Commander) do not have cam lean. The split limbs and the way the riser is made eliminates it.

With the Allegiance, Tribute, Airbornes etc. it is common to have cam lean. The top and bottom should be equal. If not something is amiss. One cable longer or a weaker limb. They shoot very accurate and are not bad at all to tune and keep tuned.

The reason one-cam bows have less cam lean is the split harness system that pulls on each side of the limb at the top. Many have cam lean with the bottom (cam).

There are drawbacks to everything. Binary have cam lean, single cams have nock travel and can eat the serving up on the string up top. Especially the shorter ones where the angle from the roller guard pulls the string over and it rolls up the back of the idler wheel at a severe angle.

Not criticising but that is just the facts and characteristics. Depends on what a guy wants. Some things are blowned out of proportion and "cam lean" happens to be one of them. But in severe cases I would do something about it.

01-Apr-08
You would think that a company as large as BT would do something about that ever so common complaint.

01-Apr-08
If I understand it, any bow with a cable gaurd - IE not a shoot through cable system - will have cam lean to some degree. BT, Elite, HC - anyone with dual binary falls into that category. Some feel that old school cams with harness systems that you can adjust were better for that reason.

Personally I have owned 3 binary bows - ally, gaurdian and 82nd. I have not noted significant lean on the 82, but I am sure there is some because it is the nature of the beast.

01-Apr-08
Every bow, singles, duals, it doesn't matter, with a cable guard, (which, with a few exceptions, includes every unadulterated compound bow currently manufactured in the US!) has cam lean because of the cable guard!

SOME may have cam lean for other reasons. SOMETIMES it matters.

The only bow with a visible design effort to stop it is the Darton 2.5 cams with it's mini-yoke system.

I have set up several 82nd Airbornes for guys who shoot at our shop and they are not exhibiting any noticeable lean and DO shoot very well.

Yes, the closer the cam is to the cable guard the more lean will be evident.

I have yet to see any bow that was demonstrated to matter on. A bow with normal lean shot through a Hooter Shooter still puts the same arrow into the same hole.

01-Apr-08
Ok, having read all of the above posts several times let me explain why I'm concerened about the top cam leaning.

The bow shoots good and shoots bullet holes in paper. Arrow flight is good out beyond 40 yards.

The setup on the bow just looks wrong!! The rest is set up just to the inside of center. The Sights are just to the outside of center. Everything that I know about bows tells me that something is wrong. Thats why I was looking to make sure that I'm not tourqing the bow and noticed that the top cam was leaning. My concern is that the top cam lean is causing the bow to require the odd set up.

I have read others say that they have to set up just inside of center, some say they have to set up just to the outside.

It could just be something that I'm doing wrong, but I'll be danged if I can find it. I'm not tourqing the bow, I've had a friend stand behind me while I'm shooting and he says that he can't see me tourqing.

I hope ya'll understand my concerns, when you pay what I paid for this bow you want it to be right. I don't want to be having any doubts about this bow when I head west in September.

Clif

01-Apr-08
"I have yet to see any bow that was demonstrated to matter on. A bow with normal lean shot through a Hooter Shooter still puts the same arrow into the same hole."

It does take quiote a bit of noticable lean to create a tuning issue. Having said that, I have owned 3 bows (Darton, Hoyt, Bowtech) that had enough cam lean to where FBBH's and FP's would not group together. The Darton was hot rodded and the limb just weakened over time, the Hoyt was cleaned up through balancing the yoke, and the BT limb cracked right after I noticed the lean. Sometimes it matters, some time it doesn't. Some times it is fixable, and some times it isn't. IMO this is another case where you should base your estimate of severity over what the arrows do on the target rather than what the cam looks like at full draw.

02-Apr-08
Shooter, what would look right to you? How did you decide where to place the center shot? Many times center shot position varies because the spine of the arrow is slightly off and this is being compensated for with center shot placement instead of other more effective ways.

Every bow I set up has the pins just outside of the arrow tip so what is the problem? If you expect all the parts to line up you will be disappointed every time! I have yet to see one that does!

03-Apr-08
Shooter if I understand you correctly, you mean that, at rest, your bottom cable is in line with the middle or center of the post, while you top cable is a little to the “outside” of the cable post.

Well if that is the case, mine is like yours, and I am little worried to.

That said the bows shoot great, but the possibility that the lean increase more make me a little nervous.

• Sitka Gear