Trouble Shooter 20-Apr-08
Spike Bull 21-Apr-08
Coonhound 21-Apr-08
WelderBowhunter 22-Apr-08
Trouble Shooter 22-Apr-08
big ter 22-Apr-08
B4LITE 23-Apr-08
10-Apr-08
How much should it cost to restring and recable a Hoyt Ultratec bow? Just curious if I got rolled.

10-Apr-08
$1,000,000.

10-Apr-08
Depends on what brand of string. A Winners' Choice cost about $100 for the string and cables.

10-Apr-08
I paid 90$ for a set of WC on my Tribute.

10-Apr-08
Second the estimate on WC re-rig from Arrowslinger92

10-Apr-08
You can get a cheap set for as low as $40 or suggested retail on Winners Choice is well over $100 for a set of three(two cables, one string)

10-Apr-08
just got one from bucknasty over on archery talk that cost me 65.00 for the string and buss cable. very good quality as far as I can tell, I have about 200 shots through it and it hasnt moved at all. The only drawback is that it took about 3 weeks to get it to my door. Worth the wait in my opinion.

11-Apr-08
paid ten bucks for my last recurve string, eight for the longbow, the recurve string was pre-stretched and had silencers installed though

11-Apr-08
I just did this month my Conquest and Ultra-tech in WC's. Over the net I paid $112 for the string and cable for the Conquest, but took my Hoyt to the dealer since the string broke and I wanted to make sure the limbs were OK. He ordered WC, all 3 for $89. I bought several bows from him through the years, so there is something to be said for loyalty. I should have done the same with the Conquest.

11-Apr-08
Lovely. I paid $191 and change yesterday. That would put a pretty good chunk down on the carry-over vectrix for $529 that I saw yesterday. Guess I'll shoot it for a couple more years.

12-Apr-08
I get my strings from Mike's Archery. They are as good or better as WC and cost $40 delivered; and he gets them to you fast. I had one set that had not arrived in a timely matter due to USPS, and he sent me another set. He told me to keep both sets. http://www.mikes-archery.com/

12-Apr-08
What brand of string/cable did you get?

A standard WC string and cable will run about $105 plus installation @ about $20, plus transferring peep, string silencers, etc. from the old sting to the new for about $5 per item, plus new loop, plus perhaps a rough tuning of the rest/nocking point could easily run into the $190 range.

12-Apr-08
Paid $85.00 for new zebra string & cables, peep, kisser, and once it had a couple hundred shots through it Tom also paper tuned for me. Looks like I got a reasonable price. By the way this is for a Matthews Legacy. Good luck to you.........

12-Apr-08
Build my own, cost maybe 15.00 and the time to build them. I pre-stretch and they are great. I change them every year, they are as good as any string and cable that I used to buy at the archery shop. Built my own bow press so no installation cost either.

13-Apr-08
$190 seems way to high. Dont some of the manufactures use WC strings to start with? Maybe a person could buy cheaper from them. I'm sorry but if I spend $700-$800 for just the bow I dont see how just the string/cables should cost $200 even with the instalation.

16-Apr-08
Bought a set from Bucknasty, BCY452x plus 3 feet of string loop and some ML-6 string wax for $75.00 delivered.

16-Apr-08
100 bucks is the a to z tune-up at my shop! They check everything out and make adjustments as well.

16-Apr-08
$85 for a set of Zebras???? Now that is a hosing.

16-Apr-08
bg fisher, please review my post. I got it all done, seeing the last set of strings and cables same type lasted me 6 years. The way I see it, don't need to buy a press, don't need to learn the new ways of tuning bows if it lasts me the the next six years it cost's me $14.17. At 2 whitetail a year - lets say 75 lbs of meat each - and if I do my calculations correct, this is easy money. I am spending basically $0.11 a pound. Wow, what a deal seeing beef is at least $2.10 a lb. So if that is a hosing for all of the above, than I guess that is your opinion. In my world, what a hell of a deal. My bowshop is pretty awesome, they take care of me and treat me right. Guest service should never go un-noticed.....

16-Apr-08
What he was refering to was that Zebra strings are just short of JUNK. Any amount paid for them is too much.(at least I think that's what he meant)

16-Apr-08
Why on Gods green earth should a dang bowstring cost 100.00 or more? These trinkets for archery stuff is out of hand. 110 bucks for a sight? 100 For rest? Probably made by some nonhunter laughing his a$$ of at us.

16-Apr-08
When she the bow shop charged me $191+ I just paid it and didn't say a word. In my business, repeat customers are huge. You give someone a good screwin and you can forget the repeat. The ole saying goes, "screw me once - shame on you. Screw me twice - shame on me."

20-Apr-08
Become self-sufficient and do what you can, you will save $, only bad thing you will spend it on fuel to go hunting.

20-Apr-08
You guys who never ran a pro shop can bad mouth the pricing all day long but in the end you still don't know what you don't know!

The facts are that if the shop owner puts that stuff in for free then chances are good that guy is making zero money or going in the hole running that shop and he will go the way of most shops, here today and gone tommorrow!

Look around, how many PRO shops are still there after only ten years!?! Big retailers don't count. You know very well that with a few exceptions the guy behind the counter at the archery section was probably selling shoes yesterday!

I will share the secret of making a small fortune in archery: start with a big one!

The margins are tiny, the facilities costly, and while it is a lot of fun and I love it, the financial rewards are slim.

The manufacturers all have these marketing departments that also have never run a pro shop and they do all kinds of stupid things that undermine the shop owner on a daily basis.

I just put a set of WC strings on a Hoyt last week and $190 is exactly how much it cost in Maine as well. I know how much it cost us for the stuff, and how long it took me to do everything RIGHT and that is a fair price! Any mechanically inclined guy with a bow press can throw a set on and transfer all the goodies and think he "had fun, why would anybody charge for this!" Maybe he did it well and maybe not, how can he know about what he doesn't even know about?

If you want things done and done right with the expertise that only comes with a wide variety of experiences in this realm then you take it to a pro and you pay what he is worth!

If the guy is smart he'll charge what it is truly worth so he will be there tommorrow so that you can still go there when you need him!

$200 for a custom made set, installed, fully retuned and test shot, including helping you resight is a flat out bargain! The only real shame here is that so very few bow manufacturers give you anything near the quality of the WC as a stock string. For $800 they dan well should spend at least as much on the strings as they do on the per bow advertising costs!

20-Apr-08
I would never bad mouth a GOOD or a BAD pro shop. With this in mind the closest GOOD pro shop to my location is 300 miles away. Add fuel cost to a $200.00 set of String and cables along with a tune-up on the bow could run $350-400......

Hummm I think I am wise to Build my own string and cables and tune my own bow.

#1 it makes me more capable of fixing my bow if needed at hunting camp instead of running to the shop.

#2 $ are getting tight save what you can anyway you can.

#3 I am very aware of how long it takes to install strings and cables along with tune the bows that I have. I also know how long it takes to build a set of strings and cable.

Pro-shop (350 miles) $350-400.00 .... Garage--BCY 452X string and time to build them , personal bow press Priceless

I'll continue to build my Strings and Cables along with tuning my bows.

21-Apr-08
Trouble Shooter, my comments are not aimed at you. I am now working as a bow mechanic becuase I did exactly what you advise 47 years ago so I am on board!

The facts are that today most people don't have to (like we did) and more importantly many people have not enough desire to. So the answer remains the same: $190 bucks for quality installation (includes full tune up) of top shelf string/cables at a PRO shop is well worth it.

21-Apr-08
I use Vapor Trail strings, you should be able to get a set for about $70.00 and the quality is superb. For another $35.00 you can buy a Bow Master portable press and change it for free and insure that you get it installed correctly.

Coon

http://www.vaportrailarchery.com/strings.asp

22-Apr-08
I just had my string and cables replaced on my Hoyt Viper Tec with WC's, my proshop charged me only the cost of the string and cables $118.00 out the door. Yes that was transfering peep and tuning. But here's the catch, he's been in bussines for over 15 years that I know of, the policy is if you buy your bow from him then any thing extra (Sight, rest, tuning, ect. ) is labor free. If you buy a bow from the net or big box store $100.00 charge to set up a bow. It works. In the end it comes down to service. If I wasn't so lucky to have a good proshop in town then I would be doing what Trouble Shooter is.

Big ter if it makes you feel any better I'm paying $4.39 a gallon for diesel, what I save at the proshop gets stolen at the fuel station.I shot the 08' Hoyt's and none felt as good as my Viper Tec. You have a great bow enjoy it. Welder

22-Apr-08
Spike Bull.... No hard feelings were taken and I hope none recieved. It's just hard for a few to get work done on their bows so they have to learn to do it them self, in the long run it doesn't hurt to learn what it takes to install/tune a bow.

Besides saving me $ I enjoy building my own strings and tricking them out a differnt way some look good some not so good but it's fun. I even built my own string tamer with a vibration dampener in it, turned out well if I say so myself.

This is why I got into archery many years ago, I enjoy it.

Thats is what it is all about

22-Apr-08
Spike bull I do appreciate your input and I truely just wanted to know if I got took or not. I do feel better if you say that I didn't. If that is what it costs ---- That is what it costs. I've been screwed over before and will be again. Just wanted to know if this was the case this time.

23-Apr-08
Got a friend that makes bow strings and I get them for about $25 and put them on myself. Learn to do-it-yourself. Remember you can always negoticiate. I heard bucknasty are pretty good strings too.

• Sitka Gear