BCD 13-Oct-09
Arkansas Hunter 13-Oct-09
Timbow 13-Oct-09
Mathew 15-Oct-09
Tajue17 15-Oct-09
Charlie Rehor 24-Oct-09
Genesis 25-Oct-09
10-Oct-09
whats your best cold weather jacket for treestand bowhunting. looking at sitka coldfront but price is way on the high side.

10-Oct-09
top of the line wool. sleeping indian or king of mountain

10-Oct-09
I have a lot of Sitka gear and I wouldn't recommend it for long sits in cold weather on a treestand. I haven't used the coldfront line, but I would still think that there are better options out there for the money when it comes to treestand hunting. If you are doing quite a bit of hiking or want something for dual purposes (i.e., elk hunting)...now that is a different story!

10-Oct-09

Charlie Rehor's Link
I just bought a vest powered by a lithium battery pack from Coreheat. No need for big bulky clothes any more. I hunt Illinois until the end of late bow which is January. Very nice ! Check out thier site! Charlie

10-Oct-09
Quality wool, not bulky, quiet and really warm. I especially like the wind proof feature!

Stay well!!

10-Oct-09
I purchased a Scent Blocker jacket from Bass Pro. It is windproof, waterproof, and very quiet. It also has a removable vest liner. I've been very pleased with it. It kept me very warm in Illinois last year, and the wind block is excellent.

11-Oct-09
Charlie, can you tell us more about your experience with that vest?

Thx Bill in MI

11-Oct-09

Charlie Rehor's Link
Bill: Check out the web site for how it works! www.gerbing.com

It is a Lithium battery pack which easily recharges and has 5 heat settings. The heat is focused on "core" areas on your back and chest. This will be my first season using it as it just came to market but I think this kind of heat is definetly the future. I believe Sitka is out with a version as well!The company originally got thier start is creating heated gear for Motorcycle riders. They also make gloves! Pricey of course!!Charlie

11-Oct-09
Thx Charlie,

Checked out the link and am thinking about it. I HATE being cold.

Bill in MI

11-Oct-09
I love my Cabela's MT050 Gore-Tex Thinsulate parka and bibs. If money were no object, I would drop the coin on top of the line wool like SI or KOM.

11-Oct-09
Day One (Bowsite sponsor) has some terrific wool in ASAT. I also have a Grey Wolf Woolens jacket that is really good.

11-Oct-09
I got some Cabelas Super slam insualted elite fleece and love it.

12-Oct-09
I have a heavy North Face wool sweater that I layer under my wind blocker fleece jacket. That keps me as warm as anything I've tried. I like to layer to be able to add or remove layers as I need and I never wear all my layers while walking in.

12-Oct-09
I got the heated vest by Gerbing, great product, $150, lighweight and warm without bulk.

12-Oct-09
Charlie, how did the sizing run, was it true to form or no?

12-Oct-09
Don't buy ANYTHING until someone tells you HOW cold, and HOW LONG their gear is good for.

Ex.: Sitting in a tree stand for ___ hours, I can expect to be _____ warm in ____ degrees.

Me: Sitting in a tree stand before light till after dark,, I will be warm enough to sleep in 15 degrees F, 25 mph wind.

I'll be in light wool, inside a heater body suit knock off (0 degree sleeping bag with a camo cover).

12-Oct-09
I spent last week end sitting in a tree with temps from 27° to 35° and winds as high as 30 mph and rain.

Had military surplus wool pants, Woolrich wool shirt and Browning's Hydro-fleece Gortex Parka/Hood and Bibs and a wool full face mask with a Hoyt cap. Stayed warm and dry.

I use Cabela's Medium or Heavy weight Thermastat under wear (depending on temp.) when it gets colder.

I wear Irish Setter Pack boots with Moreno Wool Socks on my feet for temps. as low a -15°. If your feet get cold with this put more on your head, sounds funny but it works!

I do not like to be cold and will spend as much as required to keep warm while on my stand for hours at a time.

12-Oct-09
Good job BingoFlyer.

12-Oct-09
I don't like a heavy jacket[ they seem to impeed my shooting] but stay plenty warm with layers of wool and a shell to stop the wind...

12-Oct-09
thanks charlie i checked out heated vest and i am going to order one. bowshot i have a heater body suit and it works great but i want something thats not a pain to lug in while carrying a treestand and climbing sticks. i cant leave anything in the woods because the socalled bowhunters around here think anything they see belongs to them. but thats another thread.

12-Oct-09
understood pa10point.

I hate packing in stuff too, but its the only way I can keep from getting soaked (sweated up) on the way to my stands. Usually up steep and nasty territory.

12-Oct-09
I use a Filson waterfowl/upland coat. It is not very bulky, windproof, waterproof, and warm. It has plenty of room with the built in game bag to carry most of my hunting gear also. I switched to it out of necessity in an emergency one morning when leaving to go hunting and have stayed with it ever since. I would like to get a new one but can't fine that style in camo anymore. How ever I think the otter green would work.

12-Oct-09
Raven Wear.

12-Oct-09
To me. it's not the jacket...it's what you wear underneath it. I wear the thinest jacket possible for the conditions. I have lots of other stuff I wear underneath depending on the cold. Right now my favorite is browning fleece jacket liner I picked up from the bargain cave lined with down in XXL to leave plenty of room for the stuff underneath. I really love the down lined fleece idea. wish I would have thought of it.

12-Oct-09
Gamehide makes some great winter jackets.

12-Oct-09
One layer to wick moisture.

next layer heavy poly-pro or polartek or other lofty insulation in full body suit if possible.

Next light windblocker vest with elastic around arm openings.

Next wool bibs. I use SI and am happy with them.

Next layer Wooltimate fleece or wool sweater with wind blocker.

Final layer, if needed, is a stretchy knit vest with a heavy sheep's fleece wool lining.

Balyclava and neck warmer also.

For those days of sub-freezing weather, I like to add a layer of down long johns between the poly-pros and the wool bibs.

Pack as much of the stuff in and put it on at the tree stand as possible. Avoid sweating.

12-Oct-09
Sleeping Indian for sure; always keep in mind if something is"windproof & waterproof" then it won't breath and trap moisture and then you'll be...you guessed it cold. Was always cold until I invested in quality wool. Not the cheap stuff!

12-Oct-09
I use Cabela's stand hunter bibs. They are truely the warmest thing going. They are heavy. The matching parka is too bulky for me to shoot my bow but I love it for gun hunting. For bow hunting I have a XXL Gray Wolf wool coat with a windliner. My normal size is large so the XXL give my a lot of room to go over the bibs, vests, fleeces shirts etc.. The cut of the coats allows for good string clearance even when it is that large.

12-Oct-09
I like to use a lightweight quality breathable rain gear. Then I can layer depending on the weather. If I get to warm or cold I can just add/subtract a layer. It also does a great job stopping the wind. Seems to be much easier to wash layers of fleece and polypro than it is to keep a heavy weight jacket scent free.

12-Oct-09
I like my ScentBlocker Expedition Hunter gear, has a removable vest, its wind and waterproof, and keeps me warm when I really layer up in the coldest january mornings. Its also got zippered vents for when you have a long hike with lots of base layers on to help regulate your temp.

13-Oct-09
I'll add that something to stop the wind is SOOOOO important once it gets below 35F if there is anything more than a faint stir (always is where I hunt).

Here you are, generating heat like a littel furnace, and the wind is constantly driving it out of your clothing. It just isn't fair!!!!

Unfortunately, now you are a tad noisy...

13-Oct-09
I avoid the moisture build up under wind/rain tight gear by wearing a tyvek suit over wool or xscent LJs.

Will be seen as foolish by some I'm sure. It works perfect for me. Probably not for everyone, I'm sure

13-Oct-09
In my experience, the bibs and vest are more critical to staying warm than the jacket is.

13-Oct-09
Here is what I wear when the temps get below 30 degrees:

Under Armor Duofold turtle neck Fleece coat with windproof lining

I find a good meal goes a long way in keeping warm. I will also draw my bow back a couple times to get my blood pumping again. Drawing the bow also helps wake me up after the good meal. I live in north Arkansas so I know it doesn't get as cold here as it does up north.

13-Oct-09
I just got a Browning Hydrofleece parka this year and have been wearing it in 40 degrees with rain this year with nothing under it but a medium weight long underwear shirt and I've stayed plenty warm. When it drops in the 20's I'll wear a fleece vest and pull over under it and that will keep me warm as long as I need to.

15-Oct-09
I got one of the wool sweaters in mossy oak from cabelas. I paid extra for the wind proof lining in mine. You wouldn't beleive how warm it is.

15-Oct-09
anyone try that columbia wool hunting set-up that cabelas sells?

24-Oct-09
I got the fleese vest from Gerbing which uses Lithium batteries! Charlie

25-Oct-09
Charlie,how about a REVIEW!I'm very interested in hearing what you have to say about your heated vest.

• Sitka Gear