loesshillsarcher 12-Jan-10
Ty 12-Jan-10
COLO 3-D 12-Jan-10
MuddBuddy 12-Jan-10
goyt 12-Jan-10
Genesis 12-Jan-10
loesshillsarcher 13-Jan-10
12-Jan-10
Was going to shoot my bow last night in preparation of a once in a life-time bowhunt starting in 5 days or so. Before I fired the first shot, I noticed my lower limb on my Katera XL 70-80 pound was splintered. 3 strands were noticable. I cut the strands at the most fixed point and applied epoxy. Am afraid to shoot prior to the hunt. I hope to use it as my primary bow still. Am thinking about placing some duct tape around the limb before shooting again and have purchased a new bow and will try to get it shooting well before leaving Sunday morning. Any advice on what I can do. I doubt I could get new limbs from Hoyt prior to departure. I had shot alot on Sunday and the limb must have splintered the day before I noticed it. I had fallen on a deer hunt earlier in the year and it is possible there may have been an imperfection on the limb. Combine that with the cold weather and that may have lead to the splintering.

12-Jan-10
hoyt will replace the limbs but i would just continue to shoot it as usual. I used a razortec for 3 years with similar problem and it is still going strong four years after i sold it. also my alpha max had this happen i shot this bow for 4 monthes before i got new limbs for it.

12-Jan-10
Loes, I had the same thing happen on an antelope hunt, but it was the uper limb that had a few "slivers" pop loose. They were on the very edge of the limb and about 1/32 in size. I was in the middle of the hunt and thought it was all over, but the outfitter was a bowyer with extensive experience so he took a good look at it and even shot it for me and deemed it safe for the hunt. I put duct tape over the splinter, but I think it was more psycological than anyting. If that limb goes all the duct tape in the world is not going to help. I never did shoot that bow again on that hunt so I'll never know if it would have performed ok. Point is, you need an expert to look at it. Barring that, I would get the other backup bow up to snuff and use it instead. I've seen some pretty bad accidents where bow limbs "blew up" back in my tournament days so I wouldn't shoot it unless a pro looks at it. Just my.02 Arrowsmith

12-Jan-10
A couple strands, fine, is not a problem. At least not as much of a problem as getting a new bow broken in an confidence built in it. If you don't trust to use it before the hunt though i sure would not make my first shot with it on a ram in ol' mexico. you need to know it is fine, which i probably is. i have done the same think including the tape...still have that bow and us it 5 years later. (Defiant)

12-Jan-10
Thanks for the input guys. I was at my archery shop when i noticed it. they think it will be fine but its messing with my psyche. the slivers were on the edge of the limbs like Arrowsmith's description. I did shoot it twice after noticing it and x'd the target both times. I made a decision then to get a new bow set up and not shoot the Katera again. I will shoot it some more before I go but I know I shoot it well and will concentrate shooting the new one until I leave.

12-Jan-10
same on mine. where the limb "corners". no issue. kill a ram.

12-Jan-10
good to hear that. thanks.

12-Jan-10
Ned,

My Mathews bow splintered on a sheep hunt. I duct taped it, and kept hunting...practiced every morning before leaving to hunt, too. However, I qualify that by saying that I felt confident that it would be OK because my bow has solid limbs, NOT split limbs. Having that back up bow set-up and shooting well, is a great fail safe, regardless of which one that you are hunting with.

I'll see you this weekend, dude.

Jake

12-Jan-10
Ned,

A few splinters should be okay and it sounds like you have already done about all you can to prevent further splitting. I would shoot the bow so that you have confidence when you are hunting and are not thinking of anything but the spot you want to hit.

I always take two bows on my hunts that are tuned to shoot the same broadhead/arrows; you never know when you will fall down and break something or accidentally cut a string or cable. I have gone to my backup bow a couple of times, once on a stone sheep hunt I had a string start to break causing low right at longer distances and while hunting buffalo my rest came loose, I was able to grab my backup bow and only lost a couple of hours of hunting time.

John

12-Jan-10
From what you described, I wouldn't worry about it in the least. Not one bit. I have done exactly that on a few different bows (iuncluding 1 Hoyts after a truck backed over it), and typically that will stop the feathering for the life of the limb. That is, in part, the beauty of Hoyt's laminated limbs.

Honestly, I WOULDN'T put duct tape over it. In the highly unlikely case that it gets worse, you will want to visually see that happen.

Now go shoot it and get that confidence back. ;-)

12-Jan-10
I had the same thing happen to me two years ago. I'm still shooting the same bow today. Obviously you want to err on the side of caution but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Good luck on your hunt!

12-Jan-10
I was thinking the same thing Matt. Would want to see if it got worse. Sounds like i wont have much to worry about.

12-Jan-10
It is fine. Don't tape it just fix it after the hunt. That has happend 3 times to me and it is never a big deal.

12-Jan-10
I have had similar experience to those mentioned above. I lightly sanded the rough area left behind and have countless shots through it since then. That was on my Alpha Max 32.

12-Jan-10
I had my bottom limb on my AM 35 delam last Tuesday. I was actually at the pro shop with the owner when it happened. We started hearing a creaking sound, looked down and there was about a 6 inch long split.Very disappointing, called Hoyt and now waiting for the new limbs to show up. I sure hope they get here soon. The day it happened was 3 months to the day that I bought it.I have never had an issue with it at all. Could this have happened from improper pressing of the limbs? Maybe I should have stuck to my DXT! LOL

12-Jan-10
I had the same thing happen to my Ultra Tec last year. I shot it and hunted out the season w/o a problem. Then I had the limbs replaced. If your new bow is good to go, great. Otherwise you are probably okay with your old one. I would not tape it. Put on some safety glasses and wear some padded clothes and maybe a hard hat until you feel comfortable that limbs are not going to fail.

12-Jan-10
Yep,non issue.No tape.Shot one for 3 years after mine did that.

13-Jan-10
Right on. All good news! That Z7 sure is shoot well. Have it dialed in at 20 and 30 already.

• Sitka Gear