grubstake 27-May-10
300 Win Mag 27-May-10
Mathews Man 27-May-10
SDHNTR 28-May-10
PAelkaholic 28-May-10
hntrjack 28-May-10
huntingbob 31-May-10
26-May-10
I have been looking at the trophy ridge sights with the vertical pins, looks like a good concept but they look a bit on the cheesy side. I want a new sight for my spot and stalk mule deer hunt this fall, is this one worth considering?

26-May-10
I have been using them for about 5 years now and once you get used to them..horizontail sights just seem to hard to het back to. I know im more accurate because the pins dont cover the deer up and you can focus on the sight and deer picture better. Buy one and try it for awhile and see how you like it.

26-May-10
I've been using them for about 7 years. My only complaint is the pins in low light conditions (first and last legal light). They aren't "cheesy" by any means. I've found the glow stick inserts near useless and lighted sights aren't legal in Co.

I just wish the fiber optics were a little brighter. I've shot 3 mulies using the trophy ridge sights. I do like the vertical design alot. If low light isn't an issue I can highly recommend their sights.

26-May-10
I have the Alpha V5 by Trohpy Ridge, and i love it, much better sight picture

27-May-10
+1 on alpha V5

27-May-10
I have shot them since they came out and haven't had any problems. Not sure I could even shoot horizontal anymore.

Medicine Man, you can buy aftermarket fibers that are much brighter and they are easy to replace. I bought Fitzfiber the last time a replaced mine. Not sure if they are in business still, but I think that I just saw a thread on here about fiber companies.

27-May-10
I put one on my bow and it broke after about 5 shots . Sent it back they fixed it put it back on my bow and it lasted one shot. Sent it back in again and it came back broken. Sent it back and ask for two quivers. They replaced my sight with the quivers still have them on my bows. The fibers kept breaking.

27-May-10
Another option is the HHA moveable sight with one vertical pin. That's what I mulie hunt with.

The fiber optics are almost too bright at times. I think one of the new models comes with a hood to tone it down some.

Some guys don't like the idea of a moveable sight for hunting, but it's never been an issue for me. If I have time to range, then I have time to adjust the sight. If not, I just leave it set at 30 yards and aim a little high or low.

Either way, I do agree that a vertical pin provides a better sight picture.

GG

27-May-10
Ive been using them for years. I personally have had no trouble with them on either of my bows.

27-May-10
I used Trophy Ridge vertical sights for 8 years. I just switched back to horizontal sights (Black Gold)within the last 90 days. The fiber optic threads on the Trophy Ridge sight housing (not the pins), seemed to break rather easily if you were going through any significant brush. Once the threads broke, the pins lost the majority of their brightness. I spoke with Trophy Ridge at the ATA show last year and suggested that they consider putting a plastic shield or housing over the fiber optic thread, but to my knowledge, they haven't done so.

Black Gold not only has a housing over their fiber optic threads, but it is also photo sensitive...regulating the amount of light that is made available to the pins.

27-May-10
Jake, there is certainly a plastic housing over the fibers now.

27-May-10
I think the vertical pin idea is better than horizontal pins, but agree with the above comments that the Trophy Ridge sights are just dark/dim compared to all the others.

Still sticking with a bright single pin slider fiber sight until something better comes along

27-May-10
Don't get me wrong, I like the vertical pins because it was easy to tell when I was canting the bow.

The primary reason that I switched back to a horizontal sight was twofold....the Black Gold pins were brighter, and the ability to customize my sights in many different ways was very attractive to me.

Nate, do you know when Trophy Ridge started to cover their filaments with plastic? I'm glad to hear that they have covered them now....that can only help-

27-May-10
Been shooting Trophy Ridge sights for many years.

Ditto, on the vertical sight benefit....and ditto on pin brightness. I use a green pin most of the time, red for 35-40 yards out...and might as well not even have the yellow pin in most shooting situations.

Tried going back to a horizontal sight a couple times, but keep coming back to vertical.

27-May-10
Had one until last year. Durability issues forced me back to horizontal. If they inproved the pin durability I would go back in a second.

27-May-10
The vertical design is the reason I keep using the sight. The benefits are quite clear when you get in to a herd of animals. An uncluttered sight picture is invaluable in that type of situation,

27-May-10
It was either in the 08 or 09 line. I think 08 but don't quote me on that. Their high end sights are really nice. I'm not a vertical pin fan, but for those that are, the newer TR models and a world's improvement over the older versions.

27-May-10
thanks guys. your making my decision much easier.

27-May-10
Had the trophy ridge. Made of plastic, chinsy, dull pins , pins break etc. Went with Spot Hogg with Hogg wrap pins. All aluminum and built like a tank.

27-May-10
I still use my Trophy Ridge and talked with Bear Archery (apparently they own Trophy Ridge) about redoing my fibers. That was very flexible, they would do whatever color and size (.019, or .029) I desired for each pin, but it was like $10 a piece, so $50.

If I were not such a fan of the in-line pins I'd shoot a Spott-Hogg with the wrap kit.

For now, I just keep going with my sight and guess I don't realize how dim it has become over the years...

28-May-10
300 Win Mag, While you were once correct, that is no longer the case. The newer sights are all metal and are very solid. I like Spot Hogg too, but the TR sites of today can't even be compared to the ones from a few years ago.

28-May-10
Alpha V5 is the way to go. It's rather pricey but worth every penny. Much better than previous years models. 18" of covered fiber. Great sight picture and unlimited adjustability. Deadly!

28-May-10
Another vote for a Alpha Micro V5

31-May-10
Been using them with no problems as I like the fact that I don't ever cant my bow. I have seen the new site they produce and will get one. The ones I have do have problems but work fine for me as I dont treat my stuff too hard but can see problems arising. My hunting buddy forgot to release the lock and ruined it while adjusting his sight.

• Sitka Gear