bill brown 21-Sep-10
Tombow 22-Sep-10
Gobblestopper 22-Sep-10
Scrape 06-Oct-10
joehunter8301 06-Oct-10
scentman 06-Oct-10
Scrape 07-Oct-10
13-Aug-10
Something has got to be wrong...I ordered one Bushnell Trophy cam and could not get clear night pictures of moving objects. Called Bushnell and they walked me through a number of things and camera would still not work. They told me to send it back, so I did. Got the new replacement today and it is doing the exact same thing. Does anyone out there have this camera and can get clear night photos of moving animals. If I walk VERY slowly, or normal pace or fast through the field of view, I am a total blur across the screen. The only clear night photos are if there is absolutely no movement. Once again, I have talked with tech support and done all their recommendations and still have blurry photos.

13-Aug-10

scentman's embedded Photo
I get the same also.

13-Aug-10
The one possible reason for "Blurred pictures at night would be that the infrared mode is 2 MP and the daylight is 5 MP on mine and the new ones are 7 or 8. Less MP mean less detail. My problem is too many pictures with nothing ib them. It's not easy to look through 1000 pictures taken in 3 days. I've tried all the different modes and still get a lot of pictures especially at night. Anyone else?

Dick

13-Aug-10
IR photos just s*ck on every IR camera I have ever had.

13-Aug-10
I understand that they may be not as clear as a day photo, but what I am talking about is if there is movement at all, it appears as a continuous blur across the screen. Scentman, I would be happy with a photo as clear as you got. Dick4bows, the new Bushnell 8.0 havethe choice of 3,5, and 8 MP settings and the blurry photos occur on all settings.

13-Aug-10
My new 2010 model is doing the exact same thing. I was hoping changing the settings would work.I just ordered a 2009 model as I have had no trouble with the 2009 one I have.

There is talk about Bushnell coming up with a "fix" for the problem but it is all very technical to me.Can someone explain the "fix"?

13-Aug-10

blazelefty7's embedded Photo
blazelefty7's embedded Photo
I have a new 2010 model also. While some of the pictures are slightly blurry, the only ones that are really blurry are the ones where the deer are literally running.

13-Aug-10
BTW, scentman has the 2009 model, which is substantially different than the 2010 model. People seem to be having more problems with the 2010.

13-Aug-10
Yes mine is the 2009 model, if there is any movement most of the pics are somewhat blurry... this camera will pick up grass movement and so I to have many pics of nothing, also raccoons are just below the frame so they trip the trigger but are really out of sight in the frame. All in all though I really like the camera, far better then most I have bought.

13-Aug-10
I have had the same night problems with my two new Covert ll (2010) cameras. I contacted Covert a few weeks ago and they were aware of the problem and told me they had a new firmware to download and would have it on their site. Well they never did get it on their site so I had them email it to me. You download it to your SD card then with your remote download it in your camera. Night pictures know are great, can't believe they are the same cameras. Of coarse now the on off switch broke so I'm down to one camera. With Covert's and Bushnell's being identical I would sure think Bushnell would offer the same fix. Pat

13-Aug-10
I think its an inherent problem with all IR cameras. Cameras in low light always hold the shutter open longer, and during that time any movement becomes blurry. But it also lets you take video at night where the motion shows less blur.

White flash cams are great for crisp clear night pictures in color. But you lose the night video.

I just run two of each type and hope for the best.

13-Aug-10
Thanks WIBuck.

13-Aug-10
I just got off the phone with Bushnell. They said they are having a problem with some of the new 8.0 cameras and the IR pics...not all, but some. Evidently I got two of the "some". They said they will try to fix it if it is sent back. The funny thing is the night video works great.

13-Aug-10
High Country- I can't speak for the other guys, but for me if I had 10 pictures of a certain buck at a water hole maybe one would be clear enough to count the points. In fact the only reason I new it was the same buck was because of the time. The body looked like fog shaped like a deer and the horns like smoke rising from the head. Know I get clear night pictures, every once in awhile a blurry one when the deer is running, or moving quickly. Hope everyone finds a cure. Pat

13-Aug-10
Nick- I sent it back today and they will send a new one. When I first seen this small on off switch I thought it would be trouble. When I called they did not seem surprised so I fiqured they have problems with these switches. But if you say you had the same problems on last year cameras I can't believe there was no upgrade. My night pictures now look just like yours in a earlier post. I'm a very low tech guy and don't know how to post pictures.

14-Aug-10

bowhuntr's Link
Go to chaseingame.com and you can see all the problems they had while testing the new Bushnell cams.

14-Aug-10

bowhuntr's Link
Correct link

15-Aug-10
If you are as low tech as me you should be aware the "default" setting even on the 2010 8 MP model is 5 MP.So you must change it to 8 MP if that's what you want.

(Everyone but me may have already known that.)

15-Aug-10
Well the good news is I fixed my blurry night pictures with the download but now my on off switch broke on my second camera today leaving me with 0 cameras in the field and both in the mail. I owned these Coverts for about a month and this is the third time I'm sending one back, had to download a new firmware to take care of all blurry night pictures. When I purchased them one would not respond to the remote so it had to be sent back. Me thinks I will be asking for my money back. They will send new cameras but the switches are so small and fragile I can't imagine them holding up much less when it's gets real cold. Funny thing is I did a ton of research on these cameras the past two years hoping to avoid these types of problems, and they were very highly reccomended.Pat

15-Aug-10
I got the first set of photos. Absolutely the worst IR photos I have ever seen. Every single one of them is extremely overexposed. Long white lines across the photos where the deer were moving their heads. Several whiteout photos, and this camera is down in a ditch where the sun don't shine. The daytime photos were OK, but very few of them because the IR operated most of the day.

15-Aug-10

I wish a monster would hold still as long as this little fella.

16-Aug-10

bowfisher's Link
I tried the Primos TRUTH Cam 65 the other day and it worked awesome. If you can't get the Bushnell working give it a try.

19-Aug-10
has anyone resolved the IR picture problem...I just tested my new 8m camera and night time pics are horrible...like a ghost...no clear pics at all and I was moving very very slowly. I think i'm going to return this...I have till sept. 8th to get my money back.

19-Aug-10
I have 4 2010 models and no problems so far--

19-Aug-10
I have a bushnell trophycam and it will only work with a sandisk 2gb memory card I called trailcampro after sending my first one back and the tech told me they will only work with certain memory cards I know the cheaper one from Walmart I think it is a PNY brand will not work also the tech stated it wont work properly with anything more than 2gb hope this helps. It depends on how it is formatted.

20-Aug-10

Mike D's embedded Photo
Mike D's embedded Photo
The motion blur on the 2010 is very excessive! There are 2 racoons moving pretty slowly across the bottom of this picture. It seems the exposure time is very excessive even compared to my 2009's. There is a firmware update available on the Bushnell website, but it is very specific on which firmware it should be installed on. Also, it can kill your camera if it's not done correctly. The download seems to be helping trigger times, white-outs and other things. I personally am going to give it a while longer to check results others are getting before I go for it. As others have said, go to Chasingame.com. There is a discussion forum specifically for Bushnell cameras with a ton of info as up to date as you will find!

20-Aug-10

Stan NJ's embedded Photo
Stan NJ's embedded Photo
This is the typical results of most of my pictures at night with the IR. Unless subject is absolutely still, you get this kind of image or worse....I was slowly walking in the backyard last night to test.

I don't want the hassle of downloading fixes, blah blah blah...I just want the camera to work....and for almost 200 bucks, i don't think I'm asking too much. I really like the small size, but its going back.

Any sugestions for a replacement?????

20-Aug-10
IT is a bit technical but if you look at well known site and their review. They have some insight into why this issue is occuring. It deals with using a manufacturer not being the distributer. The distributer does not seem to beaware of what is going on, which suggests poor quality control. Or just too much blind trust in the chinese manufacturer. Lot of the issues with movement using interpolation. The actual camera does not take 20 fps, but 7 or 8 fps. It then fills in with copies of the 7 or 8 frames to get to 30 fps. There seems to be many changes occuring and many models on the market. Some are good and some are downright pathetic and fraud. One calculation says there is about a 1% return, that takes over 2 months to get completed. That just seems fuzzy to me.

Bushnell supposedly has their software/firmware on line but it is kind of hidden. Again its in this review mentioned above.

If you got a good one, count yourself lucky.

I would reference the website, but I am not a sponsor and under the strict adherence to the forum rules cannot and am not allowed to link. Just google. bushnell trophycam revisit

its a scary read. Almost like reading a whistleblower affadavit

20-Aug-10
Check out the HCO Scoutguard 560, 570 or DLC Covert HR. All are the small size and general programming ie adjustable times to the second, 3 shot burst option, etc. HCO has been terrific with their customer service. The 570 is thinner and only uses 4 AA batteries. Also, I have 4 of the 2009 Bushnells (the 24 IR's and 5mp) and haven't had an issue although their customer service has issues! BTW, the Scoutgards have a remote along with last year's Covert II while the Covert HR went to the in-camera programming.

20-Aug-10
Mike D is right about the 2009 Bushnells. The 2009 had different parts than the 2010 with KT. It seems several people were aware and started specifically asking for 2009 made cameras. Even resorting to investigating the actual firmware versions.

Just give me a very basic 2 mp sensor with no software interpolation and dpi min of 96.

21-Aug-10

Outfitter's Link
How do I know if I need the update?

1.If the first six characters in the model number are 119425, 119435, 119445, or 119455, you may need the update. (Model number is shown on back of package and back of camera)

21-Aug-10
Outfitter it is very cryptic indeed. They use the words "may need" a lot. There are multiple steps in this decision tree.

First if you have the model numbers of 425, 435, 445, or 455. You MAY need the update, but need to go to another decision step.

Follow their detail instructions for plugging it into your computer. You are trying to determine the name or label of the camera's flash drive. If it is EK115, then you do NOT need to update.

If it is EK116, then you MAY still need it. The additional instructions are included in a readme.txt file in the update.

If you have a 425, 435, 445, or 455 AND EK116 ; then you need to download and go further MAYBE .

If you need to go further I can take alook at the file for you.

21-Aug-10
Outfitter looked at the readme file.........the next step to determine if you need the update is pretty easy. Just need to look at the advance properties of a picture taken with your camera to see which version of software was used to create the picture. Kind of like a firmware update. It just appears they have different version numbers for each model.

21-Aug-10
Xman, you have to physically plug it into the computer as Outfitter stated. Apparently the info isn't contained in the properties file. Maybe we are looking for the hardware change Bushnell made!

21-Aug-10
yes you cannot read the internal flash drive unless you connect it to the computer via a usb. ie determine if a ek 116.

do not need to plug in to determine software version or properties of the pictures.

you do not need the properties of the internal drive, just the default name of the drive's label.

remember you need to look at the ADVANCED properties of the pictures and not the SIMPLE.

There are 3 questions that needed to be answered to determine if you need to plug it in for the update.

hope this clarifies.

Mike D i suspect the default name change signifies some type of hardware version change "marker", but doubt a flash drive name is source of the problem. Even though Outfitter did not state about plugging it in or not. But that is why I said "follow their detail instructions for plugging it into....." <<<< kind of why I like an old AD2 sometimes.

21-Aug-10
Yea, I was in the advanced properties.

25-Aug-10
Mike D I think we might be discussing two different properties.

The one about determining the software used, when just checking the properties of a picture. This does not need to be plugged in to a computer at all. Unless you are using the Camera as the usb reader. If it is not listed in the advance properties, then might need to try another picture.

The second is about determining the name of the flash drive within the camera. This is merely looking at the label of the flashdrive. Simply plugging in the camera into the computer, and then clicking on "my computer" and seeing the flash drive there. You can right click and check the properties and see what the label name is there. If something other than ek115 or ek116 shows up, then it might mean the sd card was left in and that is the label being shown.

What is interesting about this whole thing....is the the version on some camera is 2009, and the update is 2020; personally just wondering if their updates are sequentially listed; and this the only one that they made available outhouse.

It just seems more reasons to maybe just stay away from these in 2010 Just my 2 cents here.

25-Aug-10
I just brought in two of my three new cameras(Bushnell Trophy Cams) with aprox 4500 pictures in total and I love the daytime pics , but think the exposure on the night time is weak . The color daytime pics are very clear etc. and could not imagine any better (8mp) I had the times set a little off and they took too many pics of the same critter , but was not the fault of the camera . I used the 16 gb chip from Walmart. One more camera to go this afternoon .

26-Aug-10
I just got a 2010 model and had the same problem. It was set at the 5mp setting. The owners manuel states that the higher resolutions will sometimes be blurry at night. Not sure why unless it has something to do with the write time as the image is being transferred to the card?

I'm going to re-set it for the 2 mp setting and let it sit for a few days. If the pics are still blurry, I may take it back.

I'll keep track of this thread to see how others are doing.

28-Aug-10
I have spent the last hour trying to update my 2010 camera, everytime that I finish the update, after doing everything that the read me file tells me to do, I still have the x02009 version in the creation software line. Has anyone been able to get theirs to update to the x02020 version? So far I am not inpressed with this camera, maybe I should call Michael Waddell and give him a piece of my mind.

28-Aug-10

Outfitter's embedded Photo
Here is a small bull moose standing a few yards away from my treestand that a "hunter" used last summer in meat season .

28-Aug-10

Here is another one in the same spring taken at night. You can see the ladder from the stand straight up from his shoulders.

28-Aug-10

And an early morning picture from the Trophy Cam.

02-Sep-10
I've been having the same issue as Wheels had. I just received my Trophy Cam (119425/C)from Cabelas. Set it up to test and it seems to take really good pictures during the day but at night it is worthless. Anything moving is a complete blur or ghost image. It has the 2009 firmware. Went to the Bushnell site and downloaded the firmware upgrade and followed instructions from the read me file. Tried downloading it to the camera per instructions and when I was done it still showed 2009 version. After tring this numerous times I finally called Bushnell Tech support. They walked me through the process and it still wouldn't take the upgrade. We tried several different SD cards and nothing would work so they told me send it in and they would look at it. As a last ditch effort I tried down loading it to the SD card by taking the 3 files out of the folder and loading them by them selfs without the folder. Presto - they loaded just fine and now I have the upgrade 2020 version loaded which they said will take care of the blury night photos. Camera is going out tonight to see if that takes care of the problems otherwise it is gong back to Cabelas and I will order the Primos 60 for the same price. Moultrie Game Spy 100 = 3 Moultrie Game Spy 200 = 1 Moultrie Game Spy D40 = 1 ScoutGuard SG550 = 1 Primos 46 = 1 Bushnell Trophy = 1

02-Sep-10
Papabaer, thanks for posting that info. Please post back the results of your camera with the new firmware, I think I may have the same issue. Thanks again.

02-Sep-10
Did my initial test after uploading 2020 firmware. Not impressed to say the least. Day picture quality went down hill big time. Over exposed, color saturation went way down - washed out colors, high light areas really blown out and getting strange puple fringing / blocks on dark areas (my black dog). Night time picures got a little better. Can now make out on most if it is a person or my dogs. Ghost images are mostly gone but still very blury and hard to make out any detail on moving objects. Stood in front of camera and slowly moved my hand while taking picture. You can see fingers but can't tell if there is 5 or a dozen on my hand:) Will run more tests this weekend comparing side by side with the Primos 46, but as it looks now its gong back to cabelas.

03-Sep-10
What is really puzzling is how some of these cameras can actually work and some are pure junk. My brother just purchased a Trophy cam and already has taken it back. Night pictures were so bad you could not determine if there was a deer in the picture or not. Day pictures were only fair with many pictures of nothing and whiteouts. Then someone posts pictures on here and some of the cameras work fine. My brother went to their site to download new firmware but his numbers of the camera said it was not eligible.

03-Sep-10
Mine went back.....waiting on a DLC Covert 2... will test and give an honest evaluation

03-Sep-10
thanks for the update, think I'll be returning mine as well.

07-Sep-10
OK, heres my take on the Bushnell Trophy after comparing it side by side with the Primos Truth 46. Both camera's were set at 3 picture burst with a 5 sec. delay between sequences. Cameras were set up in front of my dog kennel for the first part set side by side to sense the same area. Night pictures offset the camera's so they would not pick up the others IR. Total pictures taken: Bushnell = 561 / Primos= 243 Average Burst time: Bushnell = 2 sec / Primos = 5 sec Daytime Picture Quality: Bushnell = Very Sharp and clear although depending on what direction it was pointed in reference to the sun highlights would be blown out and color suffered. Over all very good. Primos 46: very soft pictures with slight blur, but colors were good. Also got several white outs and a lot of pictures with only background/didn't catch my dogs. Night time picture quality: Primos 46 = Soft clear pictures of stationary items but very blury images of anything moving. 46 IR give better ilumination range. Bushnell Trophy with updated firmware: very sharp images of stationary items. Blury images of anything moving. IR range much smaller than Primos. After testing the two side by side and as much as I hate to say it I would have to give the edge to Bushnell with faster trigger speed, faster burst mode, better day time picture quality and nightime a toss up. Now I'm not really sure if I will return the Bushnell, will have to set it in the field this week and see what the deer have to say :)

08-Sep-10

Papabaer's embedded Photo
Here is a comparison between the Bushnell & Primos 46.

08-Sep-10

Here is a comparison between the Bushnell & Primos 46.

08-Sep-10

Here is a comparison between the Bushnell & Primos 46. I don't know what I did but it posted it 3 times! With the reduced size pictures it's harder to tell the softness of the Primos pictures.

08-Sep-10
Papabear that's very informative. Thanks!

08-Sep-10
i have a bushnell trophy cam 2010 and one major prblm im having is around 630pm-7pm im getting all white photos? I have the camera facing north so i dont believe it's a sun issue. any ideas?

11-Sep-10
Erik I have those same problems. Nearly 100% of pictures taken at dawn and dusk are junk. Complete whiteouts. Not sure, but I'm thinking the light meter in the camera is not picking up enough light and is slowing the shutter speed down too much for the conditions.

I also have the blurry and ghost images at night-I'm guessing 50% of night pics are like this. Daytime pics are fine.

I will try the firmware upgrade and let it sit for a couple of weeks and if that doesn't work, it's going back.

I wish I had bought more than one of the 2009 version-it's great, but I am VERY dissappointed with the new version of this camera.

12-Sep-10
I keep hearing that the 2009 models were the good ones..What the heck did they change and why!

13-Sep-10
I am having the same problems as the rest of you have mentioned. I purchased the camera in July and inquired about the blurry pics in early August. Did not get anywhere. I set the camera on video and got better quality during the day and night. My issue w/ video is memory when I am 120 miles from the camera. I also have a 2009 and have not had any issues at all. I talked to Nick at Trailcampro.com today and he tells me that they have 14 cameras whcih they did the bushnell updates on. All are working fine now. I will try updating my camera over the weekend and will see what happens. Things like this are very frusting, especailly when this is prime time to use the camera.

13-Sep-10
How do u update this camera?

14-Sep-10
Erik

Here is the link w/ instructions how to update the camera.

http://bushnell.com/products/trail-cameras/product-support/software-updates/

16-Sep-10
Thanks bro ill give it a whorl...If it doesnt work im gunna send her back.

20-Sep-10
I tried the updates this weekend and it did not work. Followed instructions and tried it three times. Anyone else have the same problem?

20-Sep-10
I have a 2009 and it is great. The 2010s are junk!

Save yourself a bunch of money and buy the Primos Truth 35 or 46. Much more reliable camers, and lots cheaper too

20-Sep-10
Scrape, I had the same problem with trying to download the updated firmware. As my post on Sept 2nd expained, I tried with several different brands of SD cards as instructed by a Bushnell Tech with no success. I finally took the 3 files out of the folder and loaded them separately without the folder on the SD card and then my camera updated successfully. The updated firmware help with some problems such as the poor IR exposures but degraded my day time exposures. I was also testing the Bushnell to the Primos 46. I gave the Bushnell a better rating and ended up sending my Primos back after it quite taking picturs at night. It would go into hibernation mode and not wake back up without me having to reset it. Hope this helps you get your camera to update.

20-Sep-10
It's amazing how u can buy a camera for 200 bucks+ and have this many problems. Bushnell trophy cam 2010 get's a big fat F in my book. How are all my pics at dawn and dusk gunna be whiteouts! Thanks a lot bushnell.

21-Sep-10
I have been told to return my camera and it will be replaced w/ a new one. I will, but wonder if I will have the same problems.

21-Sep-10

bill brown's embedded Photo
bill brown's embedded Photo
Bushnell tech had to email the downloads to me, then talk me through the install. Camera functions better with new download, but is still not what I hoped for. I am done with IR cameras. I had video of a buck bolting and running from an IR camera. Plus the quality of photo from a flash is so much better.

22-Sep-10
I have 6 2009's and they work great. I hear the 2010 aren't near as good.

22-Sep-10
Ditto Tombow, I have 3 of the 09's and haven't had any problems. Love them! Over 6000 pics over 4 months on one last season and batteries still showed 1 bar.

06-Oct-10
Well, I got the replacement camera. Set it up last night and walked by it a few times. Picutres still appear to be blurry and out of focus. I will put it out in the field for a few days and see what happens. May be a waste of time. Seems to be fine when taking video so I guess I could leave it on video.

06-Oct-10
video mode is better anyways gives you a better look at the animals

06-Oct-10
During video does anyone notice the reaction of deer? Seems they see the constant glow and react kind of skiddish... just me ?

07-Oct-10
Sometimes I think they react to the camera and other times they do not. One thing I have noticed is that they seem to react more to my 2010 model, day or night, than they do to my 2009 model. Anyone else notice this?

• Sitka Gear