Snakeeater 26-Nov-10
mn_archer 26-Nov-10
Deacon Dave 27-Nov-10
Rubline 28-Nov-10
bassman1976 02-Dec-10
DC 03-Dec-10
Beendare 03-Dec-10
24-Nov-10
I had one of my Cabela's Carbon Hunter arrows blow up on me yesterday when i released. A piece of it stuck right in my hand just left of my thumb knuckle and down from my index finger knuckle.

I was lucky as it did not go in very far and after a long visit at the hospital with xrays and iv antibiotics etc... It looks like I am going to be ok. I am sore and my hand is swelled up but I can feel all my fingers etc...Scary stuff!

Has anyone had this happen? I mean their carbon arrow blowing up?

I am very careful and discard any arrow that doesn't look right or has been nicked etc.. This was my last shot and I took a broadhead out of my quiver (my number 4 arrow) and it blew up.. Haven't shot it but 5 times...

I think I'll be able to shoot in a week or so, maybe sooner but I am scared to shoot those arrows..

I know there was a thread on here this summer with pictures of an arrow in a guys hand. I read it then and it has always been in the back of my mind...It can happen to anybody!

Check your arrows make sure they are good...

I may change to aluminum for a bit or at least get a higher quality carbon...

Got lucky..

24-Nov-10
I hope you recover completely and quickly.

It must become a habit to flex each arrow after each shot. I've shot carbon since the "pultruded" Bemans and AFCs were the hot setup. Those old carbons would lose spine and make crunchy sounds when damaged even though there were NO VISUAL SIGNS OF DAMAGE.

24-Nov-10
Had a buddy that shot carbons as soon as they came out before anyone really knew a lot about them and there was no warning to check each arrow before it was shot. His easton exploded and three surgery's later he was back to shooting. He does however get free arrows from easton now for not sueing them.

24-Nov-10
happened to me back in 2008 on a Beman ICS hunter. I was shooting with a friend and he pulled my arrows and i guess made a crack in the shaft about 1/2 down the arrow. I draw back the arrow and steadied the pin and pushed the release. I had a explosion and the arrow burst into three pieces. One went into the target, other gashed my inside of my forearm and the last piece went to the left. I had to get 9 stiches in the gash. Just missed the artery in my forearm by 1/2 a inch above it. Pretty darn lucky. I check all my arrows before i shoot. And i have a 1/2 scar to remind me of it. Always check you arrows if a friend pulls them to.

24-Nov-10
had 2 beman ics hunters blow up last year now i shoot eastons and have not had any problems

24-Nov-10
Does this happen with any particular type of bow? I am wondering, is it is more likely with a large cam bow with a significantly faster acceleration? Or 350 grain arrow versus 500 grain arrow? just wondering.

24-Nov-10
I doubt if the bow matters. But a lighter, faster arrow could probably be damaged more easily. Just be diligent in checking them after EVERY shot.

Not really relevant to todays bows and equipment, but when I was kid, about 5 or 6, I was shooting a 'toy' bow with wooden arrows. I even remember noticing a crack in the shaft before shooting it. When I released, it broke in half and drove into the base of my index finger just below the knuckle. I still have the scar.

24-Nov-10
Been shootin ics hunters for a few years , never had a problem, but you guys are making me paranoid, Is it the arrows, or not checking them ?

24-Nov-10
Can happen with any arrow - brand does not really matter. Just got to keep an eye on them.

24-Nov-10
I had an ICS hunter blow up and go through my arm. I was using bhs and must have nicked it. I had a carbon express blow up this year but it did'nt hit me.

24-Nov-10
I had one blow up in mid-air a couple of years ago. I shot at a deer and must have hit a twig that I didn't see. I remember releasing the arrow and then poof! It was gone. I had no idea what happened until I found a 6" piece that had my fletching and nock, and then another small middle piece of the shaft. Never did find the piece with my broadhead, nor the rest of the other middle pieces. I'm just thankful it didn't blow up on the bow and get me.

24-Nov-10
Flex them inspect them etc.. Im glad you are ok man. With the speeds todays bows are kicking out, be very careful.

24-Nov-10
Was at a archery shop the other day and he was building some of the Victory brand of arrows for a customer. They are really stiff and light but you could take a pair of pliers with very little effort and crush the cutoff pieces. Those things scare me now. Would have to really watch them if shooting for groups or at a 3d shoot where you can get some arrow slap.

24-Nov-10
This is another reason I am thinking of going back to aluminum.I hope you recover quickly.

25-Nov-10
Could have esily been a spine issue. The new bows are putting out a lot of energy and for the most part, the arrow charts are not keeping up with the new cams. Too heavy of a tip on a 400 spine arrow. If you look at the computer programs which are keeping up, you will find that bows shooting a 100 grain tip with a draw length of 30 inches even when the arrow is cut to 28 inches at 66 lbs is requiring a 340 spine arrow. Something to think about. Least wise, that is what the computer program is saying about my Mathews LD. (I am using T.A.P.) Each bow is different, but well worth considering. Heavy tips weaken the arrow spine. Ya gotta look at the whole arrow setup, not just the length of the arrow and the poundage of the bow.

25-Nov-10
Anyone have any problems with Easton aluminum core carbon shafts (ACC)? I have hit rocks and trees with no damage to the shaft unless the core bends. Haven't bought any in a long time but they were pricey back when I did.

25-Nov-10
How many of these failures were with traditional bows?

26-Nov-10
Ouch, Remember this picture!

26-Nov-10

26-Nov-10
Sorry, I don't understand why my picture won't upload from my phone

Ole thumper

26-Nov-10
I use aluminum for that reason.

26-Nov-10
I use the Easton Full Metal jackets, no worries. My dad had a beeman blow up after slapping it on a blunt shot in the woods.

With the FMJ you get the best of both worlds with a heavier shaft which is strong and penetrates deeper.

Josh

26-Nov-10
I use the Easton Full Metal jackets, no worries. My dad had a beeman blow up after slapping it on a blunt shot in the woods.

With the FMJ you get the best of both worlds with a heavier shaft which is strong and penetrates deeper.

Josh

26-Nov-10
I don't shoot carbons for this very reason. I use aluminum instead. I know when they are damaged, you can't see with carbons.

If you want a lighter arrow with more spine range I would second Ace of Spades comment about FMJ arrows, you get the lightness of carbon with a metal outer layer that keeps carbon fragments out of your body and eyes.

26-Nov-10
"I've never had a carbon blow in the bow and I go through about 10-20 doz a year"

you gotta start aiming Woody! lol

michael

27-Nov-10
I've had a Carbon Express, then a Gold Tip exploded on me out of an MQ1. I received no damage to me but the Carbon Express broke my bowsite and caused the cable and string to break. The Gold Tip broke into three pieces but did not do any damage to me or the bow. Both incidents didn't do anything to help my target panic. Since then I have used ACC's and now FMJ's for hunting. I know I was not doing a good job of inspecting my carbons. My close vision was suffering at the time and I was not using my readers to inspect the arrows. I was using the arrows to shoot squirrels, so I'm sure that I had damaged them before they exploded. I still have some GT's that I shoot with my MQ1 for practice only. I try to inspect them and shoot them into a bag target only. Maybe after writing this and reading of others, I think I will go ahead and retire my GTs. I only shoot FMJ's out of my Legacy. Be safe.

28-Nov-10
I spoke to a Physicians Assistant in October. She proceeded to explain that she just finished removing 100 pieces of a carbon arrow out of an archers hand/wrist area. Then followed up with installing the stiches.

I'll stay with XX78 by Easton Aluminum.

02-Dec-10
My buddy had an Easton Axis carbon arrow blow up and go thruogh his hand this season. He'll be ok to hunt another day but now he flexes every arrow before hunts.

03-Dec-10
Yes I had a carbon that was brand new out of the box blow up on me. I don't shoot them any more. I went back to Aluminums and am now happy.

03-Dec-10
Do I see a market for an armored or chain mail glove..... but then those guys will start complaining of "shooting low" half way through a round...

Seriously, I liked those old pultruded shafts because they were so easy to detect a bad shaft

• Sitka Gear