Zbone 24-Dec-10
TD 24-Dec-10
Zbone 24-Dec-10
Zbone 24-Dec-10
Zbone 26-Dec-10
Zbone 03-Jan-11
Zbone 03-Jan-11
17-Dec-10
I'm thinking about purchasing this knife and was looking for feedback regarding its performance. Also, what is the best way for sharpening the gutting blade?

17-Dec-10
I bought the "flip & zip" version because I prefer a folding version. It's just preference. Check out the web site. I like the design of the gutting blade because you can just go right up the belly and cut the diaphram very easily without puncturing other stuff. I use the KME Sharpener. Good luck! C

17-Dec-10
Love my Swing Blaze (the blaze orange version)! Go with the Blaze .... I used to tie surveyor's tape to my knife handles to keep from losing them when I set them down in the leaves, but the blaze orange handle takes care of that. :)

17-Dec-10
hoping for one for christmas.

17-Dec-10
Awesome Knife , I have had one for 2 years and love it, havent had to sharpen the gutting blade yet and have done 2 elk and probabbly 15 or so deer with it the main blade holds a pretty good edge also

18-Dec-10
Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade... mmm-huhhh ...I like them french fried potaters. lol

They do look pretty handy.

18-Dec-10
I've got the Flip&Zip also and it holds an edge very well.

18-Dec-10
If they made it in orange, with a slender, filet knife type blade instead of that fat drop point it would be the PERFECT deer gutting knife, and I would buy 2 of them on the spot (as would all of my buddies). The blade is too fat for doing the ring a round the rosie on the bunghole, so we stick with a 2 knife system (Trapper and Gerber Metolius with the ball on the end).

18-Dec-10
I like mine a lot. Use the Butt-Out with it. :-)

18-Dec-10
Ditto what bigkev42 said. Swing Blaze + Butt Out = WIN!

19-Dec-10
Its the only knife I can find at night after I lay it down while gutting a deer. Nuff said.

20-Dec-10
Yes I've had one for the past couple years too. I like it alot and they are easy to touch up in the field. The orange ones easy to keep track of when layed down on the ground.

20-Dec-10
Does anyone know what kind of steel they put in those things?

GG

20-Dec-10
Specifications (from the Outdoor Edge site)

* Skinning Blade: 3.6" (9 cm)

* Gutting Blade: 3.2" (8.1 cm)

* Overall Length: 8.3" (12 cm)

* Steel: Aichi AUS-8 Stainless Vacuum heat treatment &subzero quenched

* Rockwell-C hardness: 57-58

* Handle: Rubberized Kraton®

20-Dec-10
Thanks, Wages. That's close to what I expected.

The Japanese-made AUS-8 is considered a good middle-grade stainless. It does have some vanadium in it, which is good for getting a razor edge.

It's softer than some higher-end steels, like ATS-34, so it won't hold an edge as long, but it may sharpen a little easier.

GG

24-Dec-10
learned a couple days ago santa was not bringing me one for christmas, so i went out and bought me one for my own christmas present yesterday and worked it on a hanging deer today. luv the knife.

24-Dec-10
learned a couple days ago santa was not bringing me one for christmas, so i went out and bought me one for my own christmas present yesterday and worked it on a hanging deer today. luv the knife.

24-Dec-10
Looking at them seriously. I have a browning folder with a similar style "gut" blade. I almost never gut anything but the design works so slick for skinning it's amazing.

Cuts from inside out so you get much less hair on the meat. Dorsal cut, down the legs to the joints as fast as you can push it. I even do much of the skinning with it as the blunt tip doesn't cut the hide. I have a boning knife similar to a fillet knife Stekewood spoke of. Another great tool.

I don't care for the mediocre at best regular blade on the browning folder, so I'm in the market. I just love the blunt tip "gut" blade to much to do without it now.

24-Dec-10
charlie - is the "flip n zip" handle material the same as the swingblade? from the web pictures, they look like a different pattern and the flip n zip sez rubberized. anyone know how much heavier the flip n zip is withthe extra blade than the swingblade? ...thanx

24-Dec-10
oops, just read same material, different grip pattern. what about the weight?...thanx

26-Dec-10
nevermind, i just went back and exchange my swing blaze for a flip n blaze. i like a folder better than a fixed blade also. cost me an extra 21 bucks though...8^)

03-Jan-11
pat - does the tungsten-carbide sharpener you got with the kit also work on the gut blade too? thanx

03-Jan-11
just went out and bought the butcher-lite kit too. thanx a lot guys, this thread cost me 150 bucks...8^)

• Sitka Gear